• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Roster Projection Update

Jeremy Igo

Week two has come and gone in training camp and the roster projection remains fluid. Here is an up to date look at what the Carolina Panthers could be thinking as far as their roster goes. 

These projections are based on reps taken in camp, plays made, and other sources. 

Offense - 26

Quarterback - 3
Cam Newton
Derek Anderson
Joe Webb

Note: Ron Rivera confirmed today Webb was on the team. 

Running Back - 3
Jonathan Stewart
Cameron Artis-Payne
Jordan Todman

Note: Things are getting very tight on this roster numbers wise. Adding Joe Webb to the roster means a name has to be taken off, and likely from the offense. Keeping both Cameron Artis-Payne and Fozzy Whitaker is redundant as they are the same type of player. This is one area where a cut can be made, even thought its a tough one to make. 

Fullback - 1
Mike Tolbert

Tight End - 3
Greg Olsen
Ed Dickson
Richie Brockel

Note: Richie Brockel serves as both TE and FB. 

Wide Receiver - 6
Kelvin Benjamin 
Devin Funchess
Corey Brown
Ted Ginn
Brenton Bersin
Jerricho Cotchery

Note: Ron Rivera has eluded to keeping 6 or 7 receivers. These have been my 6 all along. 

Offensive Line - 10
Michael Oher
Andrew Norwell
Ryan Kalil
Trai Turner
Mike Remmers
Daryl Williams
Chris Scott
Amini Silatolu 
Brian Folkerts
Nate Chandler

Note: The Panthers have been grooming Mike Remmers as a center. They could opt to release Brian Folkerts and keep on an extra tackle like Martin Wallace. 

Defense: 24

Defensive Line - 9
Charles Johnson
Star Lotulelei 
Kawaan Short
Frank Alexander
Kony Ealy
Colin Cole
Dwan Edwards
Kyle Love 
Mario Addison

Linebacker - 5
Thomas Davis
Luke Kuechly
Shaq Thompson
AJ Klein
David Mayo

Note: AJ Klein plays all three linebacker positions. He appears to be entrenched in camp and not going anywhere. Could this be the year Gettleman waives a rookie in David Mayo? If so, he could keep Jason Trusnik for special teams purposes. Rivera has alluded to this being the year special teams players make the squad. Could happen.... 

Safety - 4
Roman Harper
Tre Boston
Kurt Coleman
Colin Jones

Corners - 6
Josh Norman
Bene Benwikere
Charles Tillman
Carrington Byndom
Melvin White
TJ Heath

Note: Heath has been a pleasant surprise as the newcomer, making plays daily. I am taking a chance here and putting him on the roster. 

Special Teams - 3

Kicker - Graham Gano
Punter - Brad Nortman
Long Snapper - JJ Jansen 

Practice Squad - 9
Lee Ward
Damiere Byrd
Brandon Wegher 
Martin Wallace
David Foucault
Marcus Lucas
Adarius Glanton
Dean Marlowe

View full article

@‌Jeremyigo

Has Byndom been that solid? And why give the nod to Todman over Fozzy - overall performance, faster player, ST value, etc?

Byndom has looked good again this camp. Getting tons or reps. I don't see anyone left on the training camp roster that I would remove him for. 

Todman has an extra gear of speed that none of the other backs have. It is obvious on the field. Also, he appears to be better than Fozzy in pass protection as well. 

• Pie 7

Fair assesment. Id just really rather have ward then Brockel.   I mean come on, the dude isnt going to line up as a TE and go out for a pass like Olsen and Dickson. Hes gunna block, might as well have the steam train out there

were also gunna lose Byrd if we try to stash. He should be #7. I like philly, But perhaps Bryd can play the same role, but with elite speed. We will see in preseason. 

Edited by The Huddler
  • Pie 1

Fozzy is a great player and I would be shocked if he is cut if nothing more than the screen pass against Arizona as an example. The Browns are hard up for RB's, mabye we could trade one for something of value next year in the draft. Either way, this does appear to be the year that actual servicable talent doesnt make the 53, but I would be telling a lie if I said I didnt want to see the Foz make the team, especially as unfortunately injury prone as Stew has been. Id almost keep foz and stash one of the other RB's on the practice squad for the likely chance someone gets hurt this year

Are you insinuating that Byrd would get the nod over Philly?

if they do the same thing, but one has elite speed, possibly. It is yet to be seen if Byrd can play on phillys level. Im only saying this cause its like we have a variety of types of recievers on this roster. Same type of players compete against each other. 

Not just emotionally love the Foz, they love his ability to catch out of the backfield and he can obviously take most touches to the house. Showed it on the biggest stage we were on last year. 

You haven't seen Todman. Out of the three, Todman is the most different. CAP and Fozzy are very similar.