• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top 5 things to watch against Buffalo

Jeremy Igo

I think the main problem with Shula and why he gets so much blame on this board is a lack of growth and development the offense as a whole has seen with him. Lets compare what he inherited and what he has currently. 

2012 Offense 

QB Cam Newton Derek Anderson Jimmy Clausen

RB Deangelo Williams Johnathan Stewart Armond Smith/Mike Tolbert

FB MikeTolbert/Richie Brockel

WR Steve Smith Brandon LaFell Louis Murphy Armanti Edwards David Gettis Joe Adams

TE Greg Olsen Ben Hartstock Gary Barnidge

Tackle Jordan Gross Bryon Bell

Guard Geoff Hangartner Travelle Wharton (I believe he was a late season signing?)

Center Ryan Kalil

In 2012 the Carolina Panthers ranked 19th in scoring offense, 9th in rushing, 16th in passing. 

Compared to the 2013 Carolina Panthers (because everyone says Shula gets a pass for last year)

QB Cam Newton Derek Anderson

RB Deangelo Williams Johnathan Stewart Mike Tolbert/Kenjon Varner

WR Steve Smith Brandon LaFell Ted Ginn Dominick Hixon Marvin McNutt Tarvares King

TE Greg Olsen Ben Hartstock Brandon Williams Richie Brockel

Tackle Jordan Gross Byron Bell

Guard Geoff Hangartner Travelle Wharton

Center Ryan Kalil

In 2013 the Carolina Panthers ranked 18th total offense, 11th rushing offense, 29th passing offense, and 18th scoring offense.

Shula's year, where he inherited mostly the same offensive roster got worse in every offensive category except an improvement by 1 rank in scoring offense (lead mostly by a great defense that gave better field position.) You can pass the buck for the first year or two but after a while Shula will have to take the blame after improving the offensive roster.

Edited by Paintballr

And how long have we had the physical talent?  The general consensus across the league last year was that we had the poorest offensive talent in the league.  Frankly this year there are those who still who question our offensive talent.  Many of the guys we are expecting to be major contributors this year are rookies or very young.

Given what he has had to work with, he has done a very good job in my opinion.  You can be the best chef in the world but if you get handed a pile of crap it is probably still going to taste like crap.

fair enough. i still think we can agree that Shula has no excuse this year. we have the talent now. if the OL is really that much of a problem, scheme around it. if he cant, his head needs to roll.

Thank you for pointing out what I've known for most of.my life.  

Coaching matters. I never said it doesn't.  I am also confident that if Gettleman felt any of our coaches weren't preparing and coaching up our players enough, he'd do more than suggest a change.

You know as well as I do, that when there is poor execution,  the mass response is directed to the OC.  He can't  hold the players hands, and make them execute better when it's game day.  

Let me be clear, that Shula isn't a favorite of mine.  I just know he also gets more blame than he deserves, and you are one of the ring leaders of that wagon.

nope, Gman said the staff is up to Rivera.  He will give his opinion but the choice remains with the HC.

Shula f*cking sucks, I can't believe people still defend him. After all the offensive woes the past 2 years (and his past track record) you would think people would get the gist. And no, I am not just hopping onto the Shula hate train. I've hated the decision to promote him ever since it was made. Dude is the most uncreative OC in the league and we still don't have an identity on offense. How many more years to we have to go through this?

• Pie 1

Wow this is stupid.

Yes, Shula is much better than our old OCs. But what does that say about our organization?

Choosing between Shula and someone like Jeff Davidson is like choosing between having the flu and a terminal illness. You can survive with one but you'd much rather not have it.

Yes, some of it falls on the players. But year in and year out Shulas playcalling is mind bogglingly bad. Shulas inability to play call to our strengths or mask our weaknesses has been seen and criticized. He has improved as an OC. A lot. But he's still below average.

his play calling is actually better than most around here will give him credit for. He is also.more creative than most give him credit for. 

Your response of hand picking the worse OC the Panthers ever had is the weakest retort you could have come up with - but it does support your argument, so why would ya actually want to come up with a more solid example? Who cares, i don't.

Shula f*cking sucks, I can't believe people still defend him. After all the offensive woes the past 2 years (and his past track record) you would think people would get the gist. And no, I am not just hopping onto the Shula hate train. I've hated the decision to promote him ever since it was made. Dude is the most uncreative OC in the league and we still don't have an identity on offense. How many more years to we have to go through this?

at least your consistently biased.

nope, Gman said the staff is up to Rivera.  He will give his opinion but the choice remains with the HC.

I recall that perfectly clear. 

Just as Gettleman has no problem cutting players whom don't perform, i know he wouldn't just stand by doing nothing if he felt a coach wasn't performing. 

I can't believe anyone would believe otherwise. Your choice.

Nobody in this thread is "giving him a pass"

Just different perspective, especially when taking the circumstances into consideration.

But bash away. Must you haven't deviated at all since before shula was promoted, so you'll ignore the circumstances as it doesn't support your hate.

Edited by pantherclaw

I notice Jeremy said "play confusion, miscues, overthrows, wrong routes, slow play development" but the retorts defending Shula have mostly said "execution."

The problems on our offense are not just the QB missing a throw or the receiver dropping the ball. It's confusion, lack of urgency, and slow developing plays. Those things are ALL on the OC. We have experienced vets who, after many years in the league, suddenly look like they have no idea what's going on, running wrong routes, stopping mid route, etc. Do you think they suddenly turned stupid? It's the OC's job to get everyone on the same page, it's the OC's job to install urgency, quick-fire plays which have been THE most successful thing in our offense, and all indications are that Shula is failing yet again.

• Pie 2

I recall that perfectly clear. 

Just as Gettleman has no problem cutting players whom don't perform, i know he wouldn't just stand by doing nothing if he felt a coach wasn't performing. 

I can't believe anyone would believe otherwise. Your choice.

my beliefs are rooted in the only evidence available.  Shula has a job, Rivera is complacent with it and the GM said its not his call.

cant really do much else with that info.