• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Devin Funchess aka the enigma

PanthersUnited

My jaw dropped when Funchess made that catch. The kid has huge upside. He's just gotta stay focused and learn the ins and outs of the game. I honestly believe Devin will be our #1 in the future. 

i would've entertained this thought a few months ago, but KB is this teams #1.  I expect devin will continue to improve, but Benjamin is a damn monster.  I thought cam got the kids back broken but hes up drawing unsportsmanlike penalties seconds later.  Expecting Devin to surpass Kelvin is more than likely expecting too much.

I don't believe so. Kelvin isn't as fluid and athletic as Devin. I see more playmaking ability with him too. Benjamin is our A.Jeffrey, Funchess will be our B.Marshall. Plus, I'm not sure Kelvin has that drive to be the best. 

Your kidding right?  KB has been very hard on himself, you dont just do that if you dont want to be better. 

I hope he doesn't turn into a Dwayne Jarrett but historically the Panthers haven't had the greatest history drafting receivers save Smitty and KB.

Colbert, Pilares, Joe Adams, Armanti.... and Rae Carruth's a little different story 

I still cant figure out Funchess and quite what his role is.. He has looked outstanding in camp but at the same time some have said he isnt catching on as fast as KB, tonight you would have thought he would have been out there with the 1s getting much needed reps but instead we didnt see him on the field until much later..

When we did see him on the field he made an amazing catch down the sideline and almost had a ESPN top 10 highlight reel TD catch but then he disappears back to the bench. 

Im a huge fan of Funchess and I hope he really gets a lot of targets and playing time, i just find it odd that for a player we gave up a few picks for to move up in the draft to get that he really isnt talked about much. Right now its a total mystery to me where Funchess stands, Rivera doesnt really talk about him, when he is talked about on here its more like "oh Funchess has looked good in camp." Or "great catch by Funchess" 

He is such an enigma at this point.. Will he be our no 2? Will he have more of a Lafell/possession type WR role? Will he be quiet up until regular season then come out of nowhere and put up a 1000 yd season? I know its not the best idea for the coaching staff to tell their plans but right now I dont know what to make of Funchess except that I think he could be a real star and i get this sense he is being overlooked

You think it's unusual how little we've heard about Funchess? How about how we barely heard anything about Thompson, outside of what Igo and Voth were reporting.

Nope. I watched him at FSU for two years. Kelvin only responds in the face of criticism. If he was hard on himself, he wouldn't have showed up to FSU and Carolina out of shape. Yeah, it's only 10 lbs but that's more than enough to show me that he's not determined on every down. Benjamin is notorious for his lapses.

fair enough but between the lines in a panther uniform he has done nothing but show up IMO

That depends. His rookie season was mixed in my opinion. Benjamin had his stellar plays but he also had those ugly drops and lazy routes. I'm excited to see him develop further but he's gotta stay consistent to be a #1. Either way, I'm happy to have him.

id be happy to have your avatar

Archived