• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who Impressed/Who Depressed

Mark S

More consistent? He had one bad play, and if anything Tillman is gonna get worked more. He has not been that good the passed couple years, Bene is still the better cover guy.

I get your point, but I do think that you're greatly underestimating Tillman. But for a couple of seemingly freak injuries the last couple of seasonsthat derailed his quest, he may have made his final statements as a probable HOFer. A good season or two with us, and he will definitely be in the argument. I might add that Tillman was having an excellent season until he got injured in 2013. Last season was basically a wash, so of course it's easy to exclaim "He has not been that good for the past couple of years", but let's not lose sight of the bigger picture. Perhaps Benwikere is the better cover guy, particularly at this point in their respective careers, but he will likely have to prove it because he hasn't done so yet.

Yes, I still believe Norman needs to be more consistent. I couldn't catch everything, but I do remember another time where if he had taken a better approach, he would have made the tackle. Even with the open field tackle that he made, it was not really textbook because he went low but really did not wrap up. A stronger player could possibly have run through him. He was definitely overaggressive and barely got a hand on the guy on the play that he whiffed on---a play that should have been pretty routine had he been in the correct position---and a huge play ensued as a result.  Revis or Sherman make that play!  A shutdown corner is expected to make those plays when the game is on the line is all I'm saying.  I think that Norman had a good game, but not a great one. Consistency will make him great as opposed to just good.

Regardless of imperfections, I like the defensive backfield as a whole, and I believe that all of these guys will make key contributions.

I get your point, but I do think that you're greatly underestimating Tillman. But for a couple of seemingly freak injuries the last couple of seasonsthat derailed his quest, he may have made his final statements as a probable HOFer. A good season or two with us, and he will definitely be in the argument. I might add that Tillman was having an excellent season until he got injured in 2013. Last season was basically a wash, so of course it's easy to exclaim "He has not been that good for the past couple of years", but let's not lose sight of the bigger picture. Perhaps Benwikere is the better cover guy, particularly at this point in their respective careers, but he will likely have to prove it because he hasn't done so yet.

Yes, I still believe Norman needs to be more consistent. I couldn't catch everything, but I do remember another time where if he had taken a better approach, he would have made the tackle. Even with the open field tackle that he made, it was not really textbook because he went low but really did not wrap up. A stronger player could possibly have run through him. He was definitely overaggressive and barely got a hand on the guy on the play that he whiffed on---a play that should have been pretty routine had he been in the correct position---and a huge play ensued as a result.  Revis or Sherman make that play!  A shutdown corner is expected to make those plays when the game is on the line is all I'm saying.  I think that Norman had a good game, but not a great one. Consistency will make him great as opposed to just good.

Regardless of imperfections, I like the defensive backfield as a whole, and I believe that all of these guys will make key contributions.

We thought the same thing about Cason when we brought him in and look how that turned out, and Benewikere is better...He finished this season as one of the top cover corners last year and he was also injured a lot of the season. What you done for me lately league....he has momentum for this season. Tillman gave up a couple of first downs last week against the Bills so according to your logic he played a terrible that game compared Norman for missing one tackle. Great players give up plays too, it happens. Kuechly missed a tackle last night which is his best attribute compared to a cornerback whos main job is to cover. Not saying Tillman cant contribute, but i dont think its good to stump Benes growth by taking away snaps after the year he had. He can still play the nickel and start too, he is playmaker at that. Our Defensive backfield didnt get better until we started playing younger guys last year, im just saying im done following in too this trap that we need veterans on the field who are past their prime getting or a year to away from retiring to play significantly. This is not a young inexperienced team anymore, guys we considered young are Vets now. If Tillman does have a great year like you think....so be it.

One thinig i liked about last night on a team level was how the game was quickly getting away from us, but they rallied to a comeback victory.

I know i shouldnt read too much into a preseason game... but after practicing with each other for a week, I am sure that MIA wanted to win the game... preseason or not.

The only thing that worried me was that Cam had that look... the look he gets when he is not playing well and gets himself into a mental funk.... Cam has to learn how to shake off a bad play, and to come back to the huddle with a positive additude for the next play. That 'funk' he gets into has cost us games before. 

I love Cam... but I am starting to think that this may not be fixable due to his winner mentality. I had kinda hoped that his big payday would have given him more confidence.

The only thing that worried you in the whole game was Cam's facial expressions? Not the 1st team drops, non existent run blocking, or goal line play calling by Shula? 

Good Post OP.  The team started horrifically (again), but they kept their composure (Cam especially) after that debacle of a 1st Quarter.  My additions...

Who Impressed:

-Daryl Williams: Jeremy is right when he says he has been the most impressive rookie of this class.  O-Line turn around is remarkable

-Cam Newton: I'm very happy with the preseason sled.  Going against Buffalo and Miami is tough, especially since defenses are at an inherent advantage when teams are running vanilla plays in the preseason.  Corey Brown let him down big time on the first few series, but he bounced back and had a nice series at the end.  

-Greg Olsen: Gets the job done week after week.  Is definitely a top 5 TE at the least.

Who Depressed:

-Robert Lester: Was on the bubble anyway... that angle he took at the end of the game was atrocious

-Fozzy Whittaker: Didn't outright suck, but he has been outplayed all preseason long by Todman and Wegher

-Corey Brown: Just had to include him again.  Was his chance to show up on a bigger stage and he utterly failed.  Had 2 awful drops (including a nice TD pass) that starting WR's just can't make.  I don't know if it was just nerves at "being the guy," or a lacksadaisical attitude thinking he is a starter now by default, but that was terrible

i also thought cam looked good this preseason , stats tell a different  story but most of his incompletion's have beem drops 

All good stuff.  The following are my thoughts after another trip to BOA.

Impressed

Daryl Williams, Shaq, OL pass protection, Jarrett Boykin - for all the reasons already stated

Josh Norman - this kid has his head on a swivel and is draping WRs.  Sure, he whiffed a big tackle but is playing with confidence and looks great.  Looking forward to seeing more of him and Peanut as our #1 and #2.

Kurt Coleman - hard nosed, seems to always be around the ball.  Haven't watched him much in prior games but last night, he reminded me of an ex-Panther safety that used to wear #30.

Miami fans - seriously did not expect to see that many.  Should have known given the team's history but they came out in numbers.  Great tailgating with many of them.

RBs - All of them look very good.  Rivera will have some tough decisions with this group.

Webb and Anderson - I know they play against the scrubs but both are accurate and seem to move the ball downfield.  Webb is making plays when they count.

Depressed

Goal Line Offense - Literally, I hate it.  Put all 11 inside the hashmarks and give to Tolbert.  Flat out doesn't work.  Given our weapons and QB, spread it out.  I fear we will see the same crap (again) once the real bullets start flying. 

Corey Brown - I will get flamed for this but I don't agree with the hype, never have.  Has speed and gets separation but his body control is not there.  Hands are questionable too.  Seems difficult for him to make catches when he has to adjust or is in traffic.  Occasionally, he will make a great play downfield largely due to his speed.  I'm sorry but we need WRs with hands like Olsen.  Cam is going to make an occasional bad pass.  WRs need to catch the balls that make it to them.

Star - saw him on the sidelines.  Still has a boot and a considerable limp.  He doesn't look in 'game shape' either.  With CJ, KK and Star out, you expect our DL to be somewhat porous.  However, we need him back for regular season.

OL run - kudos on pass protection but getting no push.  Henry almost got launched to Graham Street on a couple plays.  Consistently losing the battle at the line of scrimmage. 

Kalil - dropped to his knees on the sideline after the goal line stand.  Didn't make it to the bench.  Looked exhausted and red as a lobster.  Was hoping he was just winded but later heard he injured his knee.  Can't afford to lose him. 

Gano deserves some love, he hit 3 40+ yarders 

Impressed with the 3s, super depressed with all the 1s(minus a couple). Panthers should have been down 21-0 with 44 mins leftd...... But stuff happed and Webb saved the day again.

Agree.  It's easy to take his making those kicks for granted.  He nailed them.  Really nice.

Archived