• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Practice Squad Signings

jdpanther5

Does anyone know if we have signed Bersin onto the practice squad ?

No, I don't think anyone knows.  Certainly no one has tweeted it or posted it here.  Nope.  A mystery.  LOL.

[sarcasm font off]

It's just too funny.  Now we've still got Sunshine around to keep providing fodder for hundreds of pages of additional Huddle discussions.  Jeremy must've bribed G'man.  I mean seriously with Bell gone, Bersin gone, and a good Oline, what on earth WOULD we discuss all season?  Thank God Bersin is back!

All kidding aside, I'm perfectly fine with having Bersin back on the practice squad for now.  He provides good backup in case God forbid another of our WRs gets hurt.  BB knows the entire playbook.  Trusted hands & good rapport with Cam = Good emergency backup. 

Of course if some good long-term prospect to strengthen our WR corps is out there, I hope we'll pursue him  But Norwood could be promising, think he has more upside than Bersin.  Bersin can also help Norwood settle in as someone close in age and experience, and a Charlotte native...  it's a good deal for now.

As with Bersin, I'm very glad to have CBs Byndom & Young on the PS as backup right now with our injuries.  Obviously CB is a position we probably need to be looking to find more long-term depth.  We don't know if we'll be able to afford / re-sign Norman next year and Tillman is 34.  But for now, Byndom & Young are good backups on the PS.

Not sure, but I am with you on this.

The fact that we've signed him means he wasn't claimed.  But, I believe any player on a team's practice squad can be signed by other teams during the season.  That's how we got Remmers I believe.

Here's an article in today's WashPost about how the PS works:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2015/09/06/a-refresher-on-how-nfl-practice-squads-work/

As a refresher, here are the rules regarding practice squad eligibility:

• Rookies or first-year players are eligible for the practice squad. Any player that has been on an active roster for fewer than six games, or on the 46-man game day roster for fewer than nine games are eligible as well. Each team is allowed to sign two practice squad players that have one accrued NFL season, but fewer than two.
  • Practice squad players have full access to the facility and attend all meetings and practice sessions with their NFL team, but they are not allowed to dress for games or travel to road games.
  • Teams can cut practice squad players and sign others to take their place at any time.
  • An opposing team cannot sign another team’s practice squad player to their own practice squad. They can only sign another team’s practice squad player to their 53-man roster.
  • Practice squad players earn a minimum of $6,300 per week in regular season, which translates to $107,100 for a 17-week season, if they remain on the practice squad for that amount of time.
  • A team can promote a practice squad player to fill a hole on the 53-man roster, but they would then have to work out a new contract with them.

Archived