• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers - Jaguars Gameday Thread

Jeremy Igo

Glad for the win.  Much too tough though. 

Jax defense was better than expected and TJ Yeldon did have some nice runs, and the Jax OLine gave Bortles a lot of time. 

We are a bit lucky to come away with the win...  but our Defense got it done and our offense moved the chains a couple of times when they had to. 

Cotch & Ginn looked ok.  Yes, some drops by our WRs, but it wasn't awful.

Our run game was up & down...

Our O Line took a step back it seemed.

Takeaways the huge highlight.  Good job on those.

I'm not going to say Shula is the best OC in the league, he's not.  But he's not the worst.  Honestly we were built offensively to run the ball and with our personnel we aren't good enough right now to do that.  And with the drops by the wide receivers, offensive linemen being pushed into Cam, we can't pass very well either.  That's the only 2 options we have run or pass.  

I also laugh when I see people commenting on play designs.  Truth is every team in the NFL has 90% of the same plays, they just have different names for them.

In the end it's not about Shula, it's about personnel and with the salary cap you can't have a great offense AND a great defense (unless you fuging draft like Nostradamus) so the coordinator with the short stick is going to catch the flak...and I get that, but it's just flawed thinking.

I have to respectfully disagree about "90%" of offenses across the league run the same plays with different terminology.  The diversity from playbook to playbook can be HUGE, even for offenses with similar philosophies.  And there are so many different approaches to offense from WCOs, variants of the spread now, Coryell, run n' gun, vertical-centric, zone running, etc., that I think it's really generalizing to say they're all picking from the same plays every Sunday.

Furthermore, for perspective, for as much of an egomaniac he seemed to be (especially in year two), our offense has always been talent-deprived, and yet, under Chud, IIRC, we were in the top half of the league two years in a row.  Why?  Because he called games to our strengths and hid our weaknesses.  Now, we did have a legitimate #1 WR and LT then, but still...  WR was vastly neglected for years even with Smitty and the interior OL was garbage, and yet we still managed to run a balanced, entertaining, and relatively-high-scoring offense under Chud with similar personnel and deficiencies.

Shula is bad.  And that's coming from someone who likely has been the most outspoken critic in our entire fanbase about how bad WR is, so that is already considered when making that statement.

Edited by Proudiddy
  • Pie 3

Nice props from RR to AJ Klein for stepping in for Luke and doing a nice job

Black & Blue Review @BlackBlueReview 1m1 minute ago

"The beautiful thing is [the defense] rallied around AJ ... I thought he did a nice job." - RR

Thank GOODNESS we didn't cut or trade AJ Klein.  Seriously.... Very glad too we still have Glanton on our PS right now too.

• Pie 3