• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Beef rib smoking advice for the Panther/Texans game

SCP

Dex, I'm from NY and many people boil ribs before grilling. Then I moved to NC for 15 years and I can unequivocally say...never boil meat. Also I learned that actually "fall off the bone" is over done. It's not terrible of course but having just a bit of cling is perfect.

Ive tried doing beef ribs a few times and they never compared to pork. But that could be attributed to my skill level easily.

BTW best place I've ever been for this stuff is Dinosaur BBQ based out of NY. Others are amazing but nothing has topped Dinosaur yet.

http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/

traitor.

Since we are playing the Texans I am smoking 4 racks of angus beef ribs. Here's the catch. I'm from the Carolina's and I only deal in pork ribs. Help me bro's.  I need some beef rib smoking advice.  Maybe a Texans fan can help? 

OK, this is one of my favorite subjects.

I would coat them with salt for about 4 hours, get some water out of there to deepen the beef flavor on the back end.

Rub with down with dry rub after washing the excess salt, and let them sit as long as possible for the dry rub to seep into the meat.

Let them get to, or close to room temp before throwing them on the smoker.

I wouldn't use Hickory or Mesquite, I would probably go for a Maple or a Grape wood just to add a bit of "sweetness" to the smoke.  You shouldn't  have very much "sweet" in the rub, and that "fruitier" smoke will help mellow out the big flavors.

If you smoke pork ribs for 5-6 hours on your smoker, plan for 8-10 for the beef ribs.  I don't normally use thermometers for ribs as it's a visual/feel type meat, but I would for beef ribs.  I would try to get them up to 195-200 internal temp before yanking to rest.

If someone absolutely, positively, has to have some sauce to rub on them or dip them in, kick them out of the house/tailgate.

Serve with a full bodied IPA, preferably made in North Carolina.

OK, this is one of my favorite subjects.

I would coat them with salt for about 4 hours, get some water out of there to deepen the beef flavor on the back end.

Rub with down with dry rub after washing the excess salt, and let them sit as long as possible for the dry rub to seep into the meat.

Let them get to, or close to room temp before throwing them on the smoker.

I wouldn't use Hickory or Mesquite, I would probably go for a Maple or a Grape wood just to add a bit of "sweetness" to the smoke.  You shouldn't  have very much "sweet" in the rub, and that "fruitier" smoke will help mellow out the big flavors.

If you smoke pork ribs for 5-6 hours on your smoker, plan for 8-10 for the beef ribs.  I don't normally use thermometers for ribs as it's a visual/feel type meat, but I would for beef ribs.  I would try to get them up to 195-200 internal temp before yanking to rest.

If someone absolutely, positively, has to have some sauce to rub on them or dip them in, kick them out of the house/tailgate.

Serve with a full bodied IPA, preferably made in North Carolina.

All good except the no sauce part. I put a thin, thin coat of the sauce I will ultimately apply to the ribs  before tasking off the grille. Then season as you wish. Cook with indirect heat 225ish 4-6 hours, sauce the last 15 minutes making sure not to burn it. Enjoy.

Oh, and I'd serve the IPA long before the ribs were even ready.

All good except the no sauce part. I put a thin, thin coat of the sauce I will ultimately apply to the ribs  before tasking off the grille. Then season as you wish. Cook with indirect heat 225ish 4-6 hours, sauce the last 15 minutes making sure not to burn it. Enjoy.

Oh, and I'd serve the IPA long before the ribs were even ready.

To each his own....I'm just not a big sauce guy on beef...or for that matter pork ribs...love the spicy/sweet/smoke of the dry rub.

As to the IPA's....I would have downed many before we were even close to finished.

To each his own....I'm just not a big sauce guy on beef...or for that matter pork ribs...love the spicy/sweet/smoke of the dry rub.

As to the IPA's....I would have downed many before we were even close to finished.

I'm with you there, most sauces are too sweet or just suck. I make about 8 different sauces from scratch depending on the meat and method and lean heavily towards spicy.

Archived