• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith's son thinks we should make a trade for a certain WR before the deadline

RelaxImaPro

Related note: Remember this story?

Rivera, whose team faces a crucial test against the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday, decided to take up residence in the locker room after seeking advice from fighter pilots. To promote honesty among his team, they told the Panthers coach he should “remove rank” when addressing subordinates. This is a strategy that fighter pilots have long adhered to when commanding officers ask pilots for advice.

Rivera was so taken with this idea that he took a bunch of players to dinner at Del Frisco’s in 2013 and asked them to open up about what they thought of the team. The players didn’t hold back. “This guy was an a—, this coach was a jerk,” Rivera remembers the players saying. The coach shot back: “I’m blown away. All of this happened? You guys should have told me!”

Nobody wanted to be “the snitch” by telling their coach what was going on in the locker room, the players told him. So Rivera decided he would just have to find out for himself.

The Wall Street Journal

Note that this took place in 2013.

Steve Smith was released in 2014.

Coincidence?

It makes one wonder.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000563391/article/steve-smith-reportedly-wont-be-traded-by-ravens

Aside from the rather obvious caveat that Smith took a metaphorical blowtorch to the Panthers' front office last October, it's a swap that makes a lot of sense.

The Ravens are unlikely to trade Smith, Yahoo's Eric Edholm reports. In fact, Edholm adds, the team is more likely to try to convince the 36-year-old to put off retirement and return for the 2016 season.

Edholm's source indicated that Smith has been informed by Ozzie Newsome that the general manager has no designs on dealing him ahead of the Nov. 3 trade deadline.

Steve Smith or Ted Ginn?

Steve Smith or Philly Brown?

Steve Smith or Funchess?

Steve Smith or Bergetthefugouttahere

We'd be a better team if Steve was on the roster. People like to question his character, but it was his presence in the locker room and his play on the field that helped us get to 12-4 and was the only damn person that showed up in the playoffs on a bad knee.

I'd be very surprised if his son tweeted this without first hearing an indication from Steve that he would want to come back to the Panthers so I imagine the interest is there on Steve's side.

The Ravens probably wouldn't be too hard to convince if Smith went all in on wanting to be traded.

The real obstacle is Gettleman. I really don't see any way he brings back Smith after the way he went out unless Jerry intervenes and tells him to pull the trigger.

I still don't think it's happening, but it's a non-zero chance compared to last week where it was a pipe dream that had no chance of happening.

I'd be very surprised if his son tweeted this without first hearing an indication from Steve that he would want to come back to the Panthers so I imagine the interest is there on Steve's side.

The Ravens probably wouldn't be too hard to convince if Smith went all in on wanting to be traded.

The real obstacle is Gettleman. I really don't see any way he brings back Smith after the way he went out unless Jerry intervenes and tells him to pull the trigger.

I still don't think it's happening, but it's a non-zero chance compared to last week where it was a pipe dream that had no chance of happening.

Oh, I think it's absolutely zero chance, and not just because of the Panthers.

The Ravens trading him for anything less than a good value would essentially equal an admission that the season is over.  John Harbaugh and Ozzie Newsome aren't the kind of guys to do that with half the season still remaining.

And given that they've already publicly stated that they have no plans to trade him, I think they'd be very hard to convince.

These kinds of pre-deadline trade discussions go on all around the league on an annual basis, but hardly ever happen.

Oh, I think it's absolutely zero chance, and not just because of the Panthers.

The Ravens trading him for anything less than a good value would essentially equal an admission that the season is over.  John Harbaugh and Ozzie Newsome aren't the kind of guys to do that with half the season still remaining.

And given that they've already publicly stated that they have no plans to trade him, I think they'd be very hard to convince.

These kinds of pre-deadline trade discussions go on all around the league on an annual basis, but hardly ever happen.

If the Ravens lose their next two games(@ ARI, vs SD) which is very possible to fall to 1-7 then their season is over. Even Ozzie would recognize that. Harbaugh might not but he doesn't get final say in personnel decisions.

If the Ravens lose their next two games(@ ARI, vs SD) which is very possible to fall to 1-7 then their season is over. Even Ozzie would recognize that. Harbaugh might not but he doesn't get final say in personnel decisions.

They're trying to talk him into coming back and playing for them next year instead of retiring.

Given that, what makes you think they'd part with him this year?

They're trying to talk him into coming back and playing for them next year instead of retiring.

Given that, what makes you think they'd part with him this year?

He states to Ozzie that under no circumstances will he be coming back next year, they're 1-7 and he asks to be traded. Even then they might not but to proclaim as zero chance of happening is stupid.

What would they get from keeping him? A worse draft pick? A disgruntled Smitty poisoning the locker room? I'm assuming they like him and the effort he has given them so them being willing to do him a favor and giving him one last shot at a ring is not outside the realm of possibility. Especially since they could actually get something in return rather than the nothing they would be in line to receive if he retires. Ozzie likes draft picks and he would probably see the value of something rather than nothing.

He states to Ozzie that under no circumstances will he be coming back next year, they're 1-7 and he asks to be traded. Even then they might not but to proclaim as zero chance of happening is stupid.

What would they get from keeping him? A worse draft pick? A disgruntled Smitty poisoning the locker room? I'm assuming they like him and the effort he has given them so them being willing to do him a favor and giving him one last shot at a ring is not outside the realm of possibility. Especially since they could actually get something in return rather than the nothing they would be in line to receive if he retires. Ozzie likes draft picks and he would probably see the value of something rather than nothing.

Take a look at the history of players that have tried stuff like that.

Good teams rarely let players force their hand on decisions.

are you familiar with teens or the internet?  I think it is a big reach to assume this is some elaborate plan orchestrated by Steve Smith to be acquired by the man he probably dislikes more than anyone in the NFL...

89 by all accounts appears to be a very hands on dad.....and now dad for the first time is states away.  Sure it gets old for his son this new window of his dad's career.  89 spits hot fire when it comes to Carolina.  Neither party IMO is interested.  

Heck, I'm sure 89's wife would love it too.  Doesn't mean Steve would want to come back to Dave and this FO.

Archived