• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A special request to the media

Jmac

Please continue to talk down the Panthers. Please continue to not give the credit where deserved. Please find stupid crap to criticize Cam about that has little to do with football. You are correct that they are "overrated, lucky, and basically smoke and mirrors." Please continue to give them fuel to burn through the rest of the NFL. We relish the hate.

4 minutes ago, UpstatePanther said:

It's already begun. Vegas has us as underdogs. 7 games of difference between us, and we are underdogs. The knob slobbing of the Cowboys is real yo...

Vegas has nothing to do with the media, experts, or league.  It is about the stupid betting public.

29 minutes ago, GhostP. said:

All you'll hear this week is about Romo and Dallas .. Don't worry ..

Exactly. They are the worst team in the NFC, and need to win 5 of 6 just to get to 8-8. But hey, they're back.

Quick Note: I realize the hypocrisy in my statement, considering that our cats had 3 wins in week 12 last year too..........but Fug Dallas anyway, because we did have a tie!! 

Vegas is pretty good usually, and they dont really care about splitting bets

They win because their lines are about 50/50 in game results.  That is how they make money with 10% vig as results cushion, not trying to split bets 50/50.

If they were just trying to split bets you would see outcome differences in score versus spread over long period of time with popular teams.  You don't see that.  It is about 50/50 on results and 10% "vig" gives house the edge over long term if results variance is within that margin.

Also, if the "they give popular teams extra points" theory was true smart bettors would just bet against the popular teams every week because they are getting extra points.

That doesnt mean they dont hedge which is why spreads move as money moves to one side.  But that is to lower risk more than splitting bets.

So house has the edge as long as results stay roughly 50/50 no matter who is betting what

3 minutes ago, teeray said:

They win because their lines are about 50/50 in game results.  That is how they make money with 10% vig as results cushion, not trying to split bets 50/50.

If they were just trying to split bets you would see outcome differences in score versus spread over long period of time with popular teams.  You don't see that.  It is about 50/50 on results and 10% "vig" gives house the edge over long term if results variance is within that margin

Ok, so from a guy that knows little about this stuff to one who knows a lot, how do you explain Thursday's line? 

What factors are they seeing that we aren't?

14 minutes ago, Marguide said:

Ok, so from a guy that knows little about this stuff to one who knows a lot, how do you explain Thursday's line? 

What factors are they seeing that we aren't?

I dont know, I think the Panthers are good pick at this line and I imagine it will move over next couple of days.

They may be valuing Tony Romo too high, home team gets extra points, and short week with west coast travel for Panthers could take some points away from them.

To be honest, i dont know though.

27 minutes ago, teeray said:

If they were just trying to split bets you would see outcome differences in score versus spread over long period of time with popular teams.  You don't see that.  It is about 50/50 on results and 10% "vig" gives house the edge over long term if results variance is within that margin.

Also, if the "they give popular teams extra points" theory was true smart bettors would just bet against the popular teams every week because they are getting extra points.

That doesnt mean they dont hedge which is why spreads move as money moves to one side.  But that is to lower risk more than splitting bets.

So house has the edge as long as results stay roughly 50/50 no matter who is betting what

I'm not saying you are wrong but I cant find an explanation of line setting that does not say it's about getting the money split evenly.

Archived