• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera on Mike and Mike

Shadow

talking about Finnegan right now, good depth with peanut out of course. . yada yada

Gave Norman a good recap, talked about his past. Small school big fish, let Norman be himself. Talked about benching him last year being a mistake.

Not turning players into something theyre not with Cam and Josh.

Tailoring Norv's offesne to Cam with Shula and Chud. When evaluating Cam they noticed early in his rookie year that his eyes were always down field when scrambling so they knew he would be a solid throwing QB.

aww Ditka is very proud of Rivera. Dare I say now. . . he might be better, Mike

Ron Rivera Mike & Mike Interview

1) Being undefeated-Focusing one game at a time. Said, won't even deal with16-0 and 19-0-as others with the team.

2) Cam's individuals decision making by Shula, taking him/them to the next level, etc. Basically, Cam's in charge and has the freedom on pre-snap; post snap, and no huddle to adust the offense/react to the defense based off the plays he can choose. Also mentioned, 'everyone's improved' on offense (when asked about Cam's improvement). However, he didn't go into specific detail (I'm assuming, he meant The OL, Stewart, Shula, and the receivers stepping up in KB's absence)?

3) Josh Norman; Thomas Davis-How Josh Norman had to be tamped down, and his early struggles with him and his combustible personality. But to his credit, Rivera felt he tamped him down too much and had to eventually allow him to be himself to get the best out of him. Had a couple of quips on TD, but mostly about Norman. 

Note: Chris Carter, said he was very impressed by both men's love, knowledge and passion for the game behind the scenes when they were on the set this past weekend.

4) Breakdown of Cam from Auburn-Mentioned Cam ran very little at Auburn ON HIS OWN, and less than other QB's they charted him against on film breakdown (in this/that respect). Said Cam was the guy from Day one with the Panther Brass, and how Newton always wanted to throw downfield from the pocket, despite what people thought (i.e., the film breakdown, and Cam's desire told otherwise).

Said they took individual elements from Gus Malzahn's offense, and Norv Turners from Sandiego for Newton.

5) Talked about Cam's personality (dancing, end zone celebrations), etc.. Said he doesn't mind, as long as Newton doesn't taunt, and how the game is still fun and expression, we must not forget.

6) Talked about his own dabbing, Mike Ditka, and the 85 Bears....

Great revealing interview (especially for National Media). Stuff we've read in good current/past articles, and legitimate Cam scouting-Panther front office 2011 info, yes!?... But probably brand new for most in the national media and audience. And who knows; maybe some of us? LOL

7) The Finnegan pick up was mentioned after Ron left. Chris Charter mentioned, that Josh Norman told him on the weekend they may make a pick up like that. Carter also mentioned their problems at Nickel, and how Josh Norman told him he was lobbying Rivera to play all the best receivers no matter where they line up. Carter liked that. LOL

Ron was entertaining. And he was so good, all the host said they're going to stop picking against Carolina (started by Mike Greenberg), and how they're the best team.

In addition: Chris Carter mentioned, he picked the Panthers for 7 wins after Benjamin's injury, and the Carolina fans let him know this everyday (followed by naughty laughter)! LOL

Nice interview, with good information, fluff, humor, and some stories. Rivera, accounted for himself very well. He presented a very relaxed and reflective, but confident demeanor. He was enjoyable, and appeared A Man At Peace. The M&M crew were noticeably happy for him, and thought he was a nice guy.

Link not up as of this writing. But you can find it here when they do: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2445552

41 minutes ago, FootballMaestro said:

4) Breakdown of Cam from Auburn-Mentioned Cam ran very little at Auburn on his own, and less than other QB's they charted him against on film breakdown.

I guess by "on his own" he means running it on a play that was an intended pass play?  If so, I agree.  Cam had some great scrambles in 2010 but, in general, he tried to stay in the pocket even then.  Cam ran it A LOT that year, but they were mostly called runs or read-options and not just "taking off" or "bailing out" on a pass, which he rarely did (though, when he did, he had great success).

And, no, Gus Malzahn's offense that year was NOT a "single read" offense.  Were there some singe-read plays involved that year?  Of course.  Sometimes those plays are part of the package.  But it was not a "dumbed down, single read" offense.  Fug you, Nolan Nawrocki.

3 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

I guess by "on his own" he means running it on a play that was an intended pass play?  If so, I agree.  Cam had some great scrambles in 2010 but, in general, he tried to stay in the pocket even then.  Cam ran it A LOT that year, but they were mostly called runs or read-options and not just "taking off" or "bailing out" on a pass, which he rarely did (though, when he did, he had great success).

And, no, Gus Malzahn's offense that year was NOT a "single read" offense.  Were there some singe-read plays involved that year?  Of course.  Sometimes those plays are part of the package.  But it was not a "dumbed down, single read" offense.  Fug you, Nolan Nawrocki.

Correct!!

The Panthers-through film breakdowns and interviews, knew that most of Cam's run were called runs or specific plays (such as the read option). However, when he was supposed to throw from the pocket, he stood in there and didn't get happy feet.

Doesn't mean, he didn't escape a few times when the OL broke down (as you mentioned). I'm sure he did. However, it wasn't because of happy feet, and quitting the play early-as you correctly stated. And as it was mentioned earlier here; Cam was still looking downfield before he officially took off if/when the pocket did collapse. He always wanted to throw. Yup Yup.

Regarding Nolan Nawrocki: It's amazing how often media (and yes, I consider him media, cause he's not a real NFL scout) just made stuff up, instead of going to the source, and/or the film as the Panthers and NFL teams and their scouting services did.

This is why there was always such a wide disconnect on what negative media felt about Cam (and subsequently fans), vs the more positive NFL Scouts/true Scouting services, and the scant few fans that read or were aware of them. Many to this day feel Cam was a "reach pick", cause of media. Not realizing, he was the consensus pick by the time the draft rolled around because of the true scouting, film breakdowns and interviews, which most in the media (including those Faux Scouts and Mock Drafts) did not do leading up to it.

Those people on TV don't count. But even they knew the deal, round the time the draft rolled around, because the Panthers were strong on picking Cam (and film breakdown, and interviews by NFL Scouting services backed him/this up). So anyone who had concerns about his pocket willingness, coach-ability, leadership, etc., were just straight up haterz, or saw what they wanted to see! However, its' not like they couldn't find the answers, if they really wanted.

12 minutes ago, SOJA said:

If Rivera admitted benching Norman was a mistake that is an absolute huge statement and really shows how much Rivera has grown as a HC. 

Rivera in my opinion has really taken huge strides from where he started. I am so glad JR is smarter than most other owners nowadays.

Archived