• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sinking the Battleship Yamato: a case study of evolution, innovation, and revolution in the NFC South

PhillyB

16 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Yamashiro.

The Kirishima was sunk by the USS Washington at Guadalcanal.

yeah i mean yamashiro

just spent the last hour perusing wikipedia's list of all IJN ships ever commissioned and used during the war... so engrossing. i was wrong about the mutsu, it was the kongo that got down by a sub. also i had forgotten the shinano was actually originally laid down as the 3rd yamato class battleship but was ordered to be converted to a carrier once the four flat tops went down at midway

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, cookinwithgas said:

Dude you don't even know how all up in this I am, but I am going to wait to read it until I have some free quiet time. Maybe I'll break out my complete Japanese DVD set of the series to accompany it.

Love discussing these things with y'all.

I've been reading and studying WW2 in the Pacific (and, to a lesser extent, the ETO) since my Mom let me joint the Military Book Club back in 1974 when I was in the 7th grade.

I might have a few years on y'all... lol.

Edit: First book I ever got was 'The Two-Ocean War' by Samuel Eliot Morison, a one-volume abridgment of his multi-volume 'History of United States Naval Operations in WW2'.

Edited by tiger7_88
  • Pie 3

2 hours ago, PhillyB said:

yep i think it was largely the west virginia that kicked kirishima's ass

My navigation instructor when I went to Naval OCS,  was in the Nevada at Pearl Harbor.  She was the only BB that got underway that day and he was aboard.  He was in the twighlight of his naval career when I met him in 1982, having put in over 40 years of service at that time - he was a CWO4.  One day in class in reply to a candidates question,  he told us just a tiny bit about that day. I  watched tears fall from his eyes as he  remembered and told us about it.  

He wrote this book,  which I bought at the base bookstore - I regret that I didnt have him sign it for me.  Probably not the best book you'll ever read,  but a first hand account of a guy who was there and I feel honored to have known him.

http://www.amazon.com/Battleship-Pearl-Harbor-1941-Underway/dp/0898650933/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450991331&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=exum+uss+west+virginia+pearl+harbor

Edited by Paa Langfart
  • Pie 5

2 minutes ago, UpstatePanther said:

@PhillyB this has been one of the most educational threads I have ever read on the Huddle. Thanks bro, and thanks to all the others that have added interesting tidbits of history to the discussion. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it. So pumped to see the Yamato go down in person thus weekend! 

Will you be there Philly?

sadly no, it turns out 2 year olds are extremely expensive to christmas shop for

• Pie 4