• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Remember that time people here called to fire RR?

To be honest, it's not like calling for his firing was all that undeserved. The start of the 2013 season was pretty abysmal and the heart of 2014 wasn't all that inspiring either. That said, Ron has taken his lumps and is really becoming an elite coach.

I can admit I was one of those who thought maybe his short tenure here was already at an end, and probably deservedly so.  Glad to be wrong about that one.  But without that threat of being out at the end of the season, it's likely that the Riverboat persona would not have emerged, so let us call it a case of the heat of the forge making the steel stronger.

23 minutes ago, KSpan said:

To be honest, it's not like calling for his firing was all that undeserved. The start of the 2013 season was pretty abysmal and the heart of 2014 wasn't all that inspiring either. That said, Ron has taken his lumps and is really becoming an elite coach.

So many things happened in 2014 out of Rivera's control that I don't think he'd have gotten a fair shake if he was fired. Maybe if we lost the last 4 and got like first overall pick or something like that but the way he got the guys to fight back and keep in it was impressive. But with the WRs, o-line getting rebuilt, the Hardy situation, losing many secondary members from 2013 (poor signings like DeCoud and Cason), etc. last year I think was more of a personnel issue as to why we went 2 months without winning rather than coaching. I mean look at what Shula can do when we actually have an o-line that can run our intricate running game. Shula has legitimately been a great OC this year, having amazing running schemes and then building off of that with good deep passing plays and play action, etc. Couldn't run that last year with Bell, Chandler, etc.

He deserved to have heat under his seat at the time.  No fan wants to sit back and see their team lose in the same fashion over and over again.  He's improved and so has Shula.  It's a part of learning but that fire under his chair most certainly had an effect on things so it was necessary.

33 minutes ago, 0115 said:

lol is it RR or Cam Newton thats the question im pondering about.

More than anything, I think it is a "perfect storm" of circumstances of player(s), coach(es), and management than anything else.  I'm not sure that Cam would flourish with another coaching staff, particularly one that coaches their system instead of tailoring it fir the pieces they had, especially when it comes to Cam.  

On the other side, I don't know if this coaching staff could be as successful without the players they have, especially when it comes to Cam.  His unique talent doesn't come along very often and they were fortunate enough to be here when there was a very good base of players to start with.   

Then along comes Gettleman to to straighten out the salary cap mess the team was in and then add the few missing pieces on the team.  Plus to see the potential in the coaching staff and to be patient with them that made the whole thing come together to what we witnessed last night.

Yes, it took some time.  I was hoping at the time that Ron would survive the storm because I felt like the team needed the continuity.  Glad to say it paid off.  

Now, on to Santa Clara and SUPER BOWL 50.  I really think we got this.

Archived