• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is there a circumstance where you would walk out of a restaurant and not pay the bill?

Hotsauce

On January 27, 2016 at 11:38 PM, pstall said:

Then you park in handicap spots or for expecting mothers or veteran's.  It's a slippery slope of being a self centered createan.

Might as well smoke a cig while pumping gas. Which amazes me.

It takes an open flame to ignite gasoline. You can literally put a lit cigarette out in a can of gas. 

4 hours ago, YourMomsLover said:

It takes an open flame to ignite gasoline. You can literally put a lit cigarette out in a can of gas. 

that's not true. the only reason you can conceivably do that is because it's the vapors that ignite, not the liquid itself. and i still wouldn't try it.

30 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

that's not true. the only reason you can conceivably do that is because it's the vapors that ignite, not the liquid itself. and i still wouldn't try it.

Kinda what I was trying to get at. After 3 Steel Reserves lol. Don't LIGHT a cig at the pump

edit: I'm a smoker and don't smoke at pumps. I can wait a few minutes lol

If there is something about the food that would make me not want to eat it then yeah, I'd not eat the meal and leave. I had a Hershey kisses wrapper in my chicken wings at BWWs and I stopped eating, complained and left.

I would agree that food service feels like its going downhill. My orders are more frequently incorrect. The waiters/cashiers are more frequently rude. The apathy appears to be at an all time high. Obviously I'm talking about budget sit down franchises and fast food. You can still get great service at some of the nicer places or locally owned places.

I very rarely eat at fast food or chain restaurants now. It just feels like I'm supporting something I shouldn't support.

8 hours ago, KendrickPanther said:

If there is something about the food that would make me not want to eat it then yeah, I'd not eat the meal and leave. I had a Hershey kisses wrapper in my chicken wings at BWWs and I stopped eating, complained and left.

I would agree that food service feels like its going downhill. My orders are more frequently incorrect. The waiters/cashiers are more frequently rude. The apathy appears to be at an all time high. Obviously I'm talking about budget sit down franchises and fast food. You can still get great service at some of the nicer places or locally owned places.

I very rarely eat at fast food or chain restaurants now. It just feels like I'm supporting something I shouldn't support.

When the economy is better, it becomes tougher to find good waitstaff and bar help.  They are able to find better jobs in the "normal" sector.  When things are shitty in the economy you have a bunch of educated folks needing any type of job, so the service industry gets a boost.

16 hours ago, PhillyB said:

It's very true.  You can take a bucket of gas and throw a lit cigarette into the middle of it and it will go out.

Now if you pull on it while it's just above the gas, you may not need to shave for a very long time.  Normally the cig just isn't hot enough to autoignite the gas....normally.  If you have a puddle of gas, and it's really warm out, the cig may autoignite it, but not always.

It's also a big pet peeve of mine when you order something, they take your money, then tell you they are out or you will have to wait 20 minutes for more to cook. I ordered a 2 pc original recipe at KFC once, this is like 6pm. Dinner rush. They told me 20 minutes I could substitute grilled. I just asked for my money back and left. How does a fried chicken restaurant run out of chicken? It's their signature product.

I think any time you allow a customer to order something and cannot deliver as promised. The substitution should come with a 50% discount. No negotiations required. If you run out, let the customer know before they commit and their party commits. Sometimes you go to a place for a specific dish and it's all you really like on the menu. 

In contrast to this, I find it more annoying when the servers act like helicopters. If I take a sip of my drink, I don't need a refill right then.

Just give me a minute to try everything, then ask if it's OK. Don't come back after every two bites and ask again. 

In short, I love experiences like OP's.

Also, I've worked as a server a looooong time ago. There's far too much going on in a restaurant to leave your server in a predicament like dining and dashing. I used to tip like 10% before I worked as a server. Now, it's a 20% minimum on bad service. If eating stresses you out, imagine it is a thousandfold more stressful on your server.

I haven't been in the food service industry for a while but there is no right way to serve everybody. 9 times out of 10 as a server you just have to play it by ear. Some people really don't like to be bothered by servers while they're eating. If I could glean that from interacting with them I would only ask them once about how their food is, but I'd also tell them I'd be around in case they needed any refills or what not. 

Also, for anybody who's a part of the "I'm not paying if I feel dissatisfied" crowd,

1. keep in mind that when you eat out, the food doesn't magically appear out of the blue, and just because you rationalized getting the 45 dollars back after coupon for your flatiron steaks and popcorn shrimp, doesn't make you a hero standing up to corporate America.

2. The food that ends up at your table goes through a rigid supply chain and you pay for the food plus the service it takes to prepare it, deliver it to your table and clean up after you. Also, servers are not your doting children and they're not doing chores for you as some familial commitment. These people have rent to pay and if they're "lucky" to be able to work full time hours, they might even have insurance too! So tip them because they probably burn more calories in one shift than you did all week at your desk doing your puzzles instead of actually working.

3. You're not changing the world with leading by the example of "TIPPING IS FOR GOOD SERVICE AND IT SHOULD BE THAT WAY", you're just an imbecile who's ripping off poor people. The custom in the US is servers get paid 2.13 an hour and it's not going to change because you disagree with it. If you want to enjoy the experience of sitting on your ass and leaving crumbs of feta all over the floor, but don't want to pay, maybe you should buy your own meal at the supermarket, and prepare it and clean up after yourself. 

Archived