• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Calvin Johnson to retire

KillaCamNewton

I will believe it when his signature is on the retirement papers and he pays the Lions back the money he owes them. Until then it is a stunt to get out of Detroit and play for another team. I am sure he has asked to be traded, but the Lions refuse to deal him. They did the same thing with Barry Sanders.

These players just want to go to a place they can have a chance at a Super Bowl. They are sold on the team trying to turn it around when they sign their contract, but then they get caught in another team rebuild and want out.

30 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Not until his existing contract expires (2020) or the Lions release him.

Actually, if he retires before the end of his contract, the contract goes into limbo on the day he retires.  If he should ever un-retire, his contract picks up exactly as it was on the day he retires.  So if he were to retire with 4 years on his contract, stay out of football for a year, then decide he wants to play again, he would still be under contract to Detroit for 4 more years.  The only way to go to another team, as others have stated, is to be released, cut, or traded.

4 hours ago, rayzor said:

They killed Barry Sanders desire. Now Megatron.

Detroit: where the soul goes to die.

Not funny. The Lions are exactly like the Panthers. Somehow, some way, they just never seem to hire the right people. Things are looking better right now. But anyway. Still not funny.

4 hours ago, chknwing said:

detroit needs to move to los angles

Oh look, another clever retort. Lions fans are as rabid as they come. They sell out every damm game. It is not the fans fault they have a notoriously bad time hiring the right people to right that ship.

If you have no idea what is going on. Maybe you should just leave it alone.

3 hours ago, King said:

Megatron's been rolling downhill for a while and living off his well-earned reputation. Think 2013 Steve Smith.

This isn't nearly as big a loss for the Lions as it seems.

Another post with no thought put into it. Almost 4,000 yards in the last 3 years. Yup, he sucks.

3 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

I will believe it when his signature is on the retirement papers and he pays the Lions back the money he owes them. Until then it is a stunt to get out of Detroit and play for another team. I am sure he has asked to be traded, but the Lions refuse to deal him. They did the same thing with Barry Sanders.

Neither Johnson nor Sanders asked to be traded. Nice try, but maybe you might what to try sticking to facts, or staying out of the convo.

Johnson played the last year and a half with a bad ankle and a sore knee. He is just tired of being sore.

Barry was just tired of being lied to.

Goofy posters trying to sound smart without having a clue. Typical interwebz. To much trouble to you know, actually spend a few minutes to check for facts.

I'm not that surprised.  While Johnson has put up numbers, it's been evident for a few years that his body was giving up on him with the lower body issues.   Maybe it's that such a large person isn't supposed to be doing what he does?  Not sure.  I don't blame the guy though, in a business where every year you find out more about the dangers of, leaving with a nice chunk of change and your wits sounds like a win-win to me.  

It is tragic, as he was a great player.  But I think its a combination of the linger effects of injuries as the fact he has a poo-ton of money.  I mean, if you had the opportunity to retire at 30 with millions in the bank, and be able to walk and enjoy life after football, it's not a terrible situation.  While Detroit tried to build a winner, they just weren't able to push over the hump.  

It's good for him to go out on his own terms regardless.  If he can heal up, and keep his legs and head AND millions of dollars, he's won.

10 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

I'm not that surprised.  While Johnson has put up numbers, it's been evident for a few years that his body was giving up on him with the lower body issues.   Maybe it's that such a large person isn't supposed to be doing what he does?  Not sure.  I don't blame the guy though, in a business where every year you find out more about the dangers of, leaving with a nice chunk of change and your wits sounds like a win-win to me.  

I think it's a combination of that and being force fed the ball so many times a game with DBs having to be so physical with him because he is a freak of nature.

Archived