• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Well Isn't That Convenient...

Lilsmitty09

1 minute ago, d-dave said:

Are we getting the tin foil hat out?  I mean, that conspiracy was just too easy.  No wonder we played so poorly, we were told to!  You see, the NFL wanted us to win, wanted Cam to melt down, wanted Manning to ride off into the sunset so that we would be sent to the Super Bowl next year, only to win and arise like a Phoenix from the ashes!  Remember, the NFL LOVES stories!!!!

My wife thought of that theory based on the whole media hub-bub...I gave her a roll of aluminium foil.  She hit me with it...

While it sounds good, it also is completely crazy.  Were any of it true, it would destroy everything the NFL has built.  Not good.

Most people don't think the players or even coaches are in on it.  It only takes one head ref though.  This game was a clear example.  Momentum swings are huge in football and it happens all the time with bad reffing that never gets reprimanded or fixed.   The NFL decided not to show those replays, probably not this person.   We could have won, but would have had to play a perfect game against the top defense, it wasn't happening.  

Just now, Zaximus said:

Most people don't think the players or even coaches are in on it.  It only takes one head ref though.  This game was a clear example.  Momentum swings are huge in football and it happens all the time with bad reffing that never gets reprimanded or fixed.   The NFL decided not to show those replays, probably not this person.   We could have won, but would have had to play a perfect game against the top defense, it wasn't happening.  

While I will continue to doubt a wide spread conspiracy because it just seems like terrible business, it wouldn't matter because of how well Denver's defense was playing.  It would have taken an extreme change in how we played to do anything against them.

1 minute ago, Jmac said:

When they have 5 minutes of football and 15 minutes of commercials thru out the game. what do you expect. Fans don't need no stinking replays.....gotta sell doritos.

It's all just a distraction. Don't be fooled. Hell, I even forgot we were getting the ball back after halftime because they used Beyonce twerking maneuvers  to hypnotize me. Fool me 3 times can't fool me again 

2 minutes ago, d-dave said:

While I will continue to doubt a wide spread conspiracy because it just seems like terrible business, it wouldn't matter because of how well Denver's defense was playing.  It would have taken an extreme change in how we played to do anything against them.

But... it's not terrible for business lol.  The ratings are vastly higher with "storylines".   The ratings prove it.  The fact people don't realize this is why it's not bad for business, because they can keep doing it and most people think "na it could never happen".   Some of those same people believe in things they have never seen in their life, that's a different story but it just proves they can get away with it as long as it's kept to head refs and whatnot.  The NFL is an entertainment company, they can rig games with NO legal ramification, like the WWE.   Vegas has a large part in it as well and the fact that profit sharing means they all make out.   The NFL is too big to fail at this point.

Just now, Zaximus said:

But... it's not terrible for business lol.  The ratings are vastly higher with "storylines".   The ratings prove it.  The fact people don't realize this is why it's not bad for business, because they can keep doing it and most people think "na it could never happen".   Some of those same people believe in things they have never seen in their life, that's a different story but it just proves they can get away with it as long as it's kept to head refs and whatnot.  The NFL is an entertainment company, they can rig games with NO legal ramification, like the WWE.   Vegas has a large part in it as well and the fact that profit sharing means they all make out.   The NFL is too big to fail at this point.

I agree that it's great for now, being able to manipulate things.  But how about when the lid is blown off?  While the public perception of the NFL is generally positive, if it came out that it was rigged, it would ruin their credibility.  While the American consumer public is pretty forgiving and dumb, how could they realistically believe in the brand, the players and the game?

Then again, I think I'm more to the tin foil hat side of things now.  We are over all pretty dumb and gullible.  Look at our politics...  Then the NFL needs to give us our story of redemption next season!!! 

Just now, d-dave said:

I agree that it's great for now, being able to manipulate things.  But how about when the lid is blown off?  While the public perception of the NFL is generally positive, if it came out that it was rigged, it would ruin their credibility.  While the American consumer public is pretty forgiving and dumb, how could they realistically believe in the brand, the players and the game?

Then again, I think I'm more to the tin foil hat side of things now.  We are over all pretty dumb and gullible.  Look at our politics...  Then the NFL needs to give us our story of redemption next season!!! 

I think they are really good at it.  They keep it to a ref or two.   It's not a grand thing with coaches and players.  That's why it'll stay hush.  People tend to forget about it all at the end of the season because usually they don't go TOO far.   Momentum swings are such hard hits in football, more so than a lot of sports.  Storylines bring ratings, ratings bring ad money.  It's not a coincidence that around the time Goodell rolled in weird things started happening.   Before the 2000's the NFL was more pure and I never thought of things like this.

In this game, the Denver defense is a beast.   We played really bad but so did their offense.  The difference was the momentum swings and the handful of bad calls and some no calls.   If we played perfectly, like the Arizona game, we still could have won.  I don't think their plans always work but more often than not, they do.   

3 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

Because of the betting involved in football, if rigging was ever proven, many people would go to jail. The FBI would crush NFL executives. None of it is systematically fixed. 

Betting is separate though.  The NFL can rig games without any trouble, they are an entertainment company.  They can even say "we rigged it for better ratings" and could not get in trouble.  They are exactly like WWE.  Doesn't matter if vegas bets, the NFL isn't associated with them.  Basically, they are betting knowing NFL can do whatever they want, legally.   Why would they then?  Because they hardly EVER lose money.  

5 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

Betting is separate though.  The NFL can rig games without any trouble, they are an entertainment company.  They can even say "we rigged it for better ratings" and could not get in trouble.  They are exactly like WWE.  Doesn't matter if vegas bets, the NFL isn't associated with them.  Basically, they are betting knowing NFL can do whatever they want, legally.   Why would they then?  Because they hardly EVER lose money.  

No. It's illegal. It's similar to insider trading. Because there would be people that would know the outcome, the potential for using that information to bet is illegal. If the NFL rigged games for any reason it would be illegal.

Im not a lawyer nor am I going to look it all up, but the FBI have gone after people in the past involved with the manipulation of sports games. There was at least one 30 for 30 about it with Boston College players.

Archived