• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So what about Antonio Gates

Snake

10 hours ago, Snake said:

He's a free agent this year and while old in the tooth could give us a new element to our passing attack. Could you imagine him, KB, Funchess, and Olsen all in one set... 

He's definitely an upgrade over Dickson, but he's gonna sign somewhere at a premium and I don't know how efficient he is at blocking.

i just can't see him coming here to be a blocker, which is what we need. 

I really like Gates but we need upgrades in other key positions than backup TE. 

Word around the league is that Jordan Cameron will be released from the dolphins and if you're talking about physical specimens at the tight end position he's as good as they come. 

Pre-draft measurables
Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP
6 ft 5 in 254 lb 33½ in 9¾ in 4.53 s 1.53 s 2.57 s 4.03 s 6.82 s 37.5 in 9 ft 11 in 23 reps
All values from NFL Combine[10][11]

Per: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Cameron

He does have an injury history, but that could be helped by him playing limited snaps as the #2 TE. Former Pro Bowler and will be cheap, sounds like something Gettleman will look into at the least. 

12 hours ago, E CaT PanTHer 2 said:

i think this is the year we draft a stud TE in the draft. 

Olsen has a few years left and although he still has a ton left in the tank, I think it's time to bring that dual threat back to the Carolinas (Shocky/Olsen days) and have Olsen groom him into the next best thing at TE. 

Doesn't look like a super deep draft at that position, but maybe someone who has good hands but was underutilized in their system (Howard from AL comes to mind) might be there in the second or third rd for the taking.  I still think DG will draft for the line and secondary though, maybe supplement this position in FA and wait another year to draft a TE.

2 hours ago, AndrewLaskoski said:

Word around the league is that Jordan Cameron will be released from the dolphins and if you're talking about physical specimens at the tight end position he's as good as they come. 

Pre-draft measurables
Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP
6 ft 5 in 254 lb 33½ in 9¾ in 4.53 s 1.53 s 2.57 s 4.03 s 6.82 s 37.5 in 9 ft 11 in 23 reps
All values from NFL Combine[10][11]

Per: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Cameron

He does have an injury history, but that could be helped by him playing limited snaps as the #2 TE. Former Pro Bowler and will be cheap, sounds like something Gettleman will look into at the least. 

Well yea would love Jordan but I was looking for a bargain basket TE.  We have about as much chance signing Jordan than we do finding a starting TE at the 31st pick. Everyone said Shockey was washed up when he came to Carolina but look how that turned out. Gates is also a better blocker than Dickson. 

32 minutes ago, Snake said:

Well yea would love Jordan but I was looking for a bargain basket TE.  We have about as much chance signing Jordan than we do finding a starting TE at the 31st pick. Everyone said Shockey was washed up when he came to Carolina but look how that turned out. Gates is also a better blocker than Dickson. 

Season Team Receiving
GP REC TGTS YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LST
2011 CLE 8 6 13 33 5.5 15 0 1 0 0
2012 CLE 14 20 39 226 11.3 28 1 12 0 0
2013~ CLE 15 80 117 917 11.5 53 7 47 1 0
2014 CLE 10 24 - 424 17.7 81 2 0 0 0
2015 MIA 14 30 - 346 11.5 29 2 0 1 0
  Total 61 160 169 1,946 12.2 81 12 60 2 0

Two down years in a row lead me to believe that he would be one cheaper than one would expect. He's been in Miami and Cleveland his entire career, maybe he'll want to come to a winning organization for a change. To be fair, I think any TE would be a better blocker than Dickson. Cameron certainly has the frame to be a good blocker. 

15 hours ago, WesleyM said:

IMO I think Simonson can be a good player, so we dont need another TE. He played well in preseason he is just behind olsen and dixon on the depth chart

Simonson is a hell of a pass catcher, and his routes are actually pretty damn good as well.  I haven't watched much as far as his blocking goes.  Olsen is fairly good blocking, and Dickson isn't all that great.  Makes me think Simonson must be a horrid blocker to be behind Dickson.

23 hours ago, AndrewLaskoski said:
Season Team Receiving
GP REC TGTS YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LST
2011 CLE 8 6 13 33 5.5 15 0 1 0 0
2012 CLE 14 20 39 226 11.3 28 1 12 0 0
2013~ CLE 15 80 117 917 11.5 53 7 47 1 0
2014 CLE 10 24 - 424 17.7 81 2 0 0 0
2015 MIA 14 30 - 346 11.5 29 2 0 1 0
  Total 61 160 169 1,946 12.2 81 12 60 2 0

Two down years in a row lead me to believe that he would be one cheaper than one would expect. He's been in Miami and Cleveland his entire career, maybe he'll want to come to a winning organization for a change. To be fair, I think any TE would be a better blocker than Dickson. Cameron certainly has the frame to be a good blocker. 

All I know is one of Denvers ways to getting to cam was no second passing TE.  We don't need a starter just a guy who can feast when everyone else is covered. That's not Ed Dickson. Gates, Jordan, or even someone else can do it better. 

22 hours ago, Nick_81 said:

Simonson is a hell of a pass catcher, and his routes are actually pretty damn good as well.  I haven't watched much as far as his blocking goes.  Olsen is fairly good blocking, and Dickson isn't all that great.  Makes me think Simonson must be a horrid blocker to be behind Dickson.

Olsen is typically one of the worst blockers in the NFL as a starter.

Gates would definitely be an upgrade over Dickson, both as a receiver and blocker. Honestly we need to speed more money on offense - weapons, in particular. A second tight end, on top of Benji coming back, would be a great relief to Cam - he's a big target and can catch anything.

Just now, Nick_81 said:

He's not nearly as bad as PFF would lead you to believe.

How about my eyes?

I know that he's not the worst blocker in the league, but he is pretty poor at it, and that's OK.

Typically I want my TE's catching passes, just like Olsen is doing for us, and not being inline blockers.  However, we already have Olsen, if we are getting another TE, we damn sure don't need Gates....another TE who I have seen a ton of games from.

He can't run any longer, he's a surefire HOFer, but he's not that anymore.

Archived