• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coples visiting, taking physical

jdpanther5

29 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Gettleman's MO.  Fill in holes in Free Agency to leave freedom to draft BPA and not based on need.   But yeah, with the depth of exciting prospects at DE and even more at DT, I'd be pretty shocked if we didn't pick at least 1 - 2 Dline guys, and likely in the early rounds.

Disagree,maybe in  2-4th round but I see us picking up offensive player in the 1st  or 2nd Either TE, RB, or WR.

5 minutes ago, pantherfan49 said:

Coples is a very low character person.  This particular locker room might be good for him, but be a bit concerned about what you are getting with him. 

I have not heard one thing about off the field issues. There was some effort talk predraft and I remember Rex talking through the media about him needing to take that next jump in his level of play.

7 minutes ago, Hotsauce said:

So I remember he was a big name when we drafted Luke. However I have not followed him. 

Can someone give me his NFL career in a nutshell so I can understand why he is a FA?

There is Google...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14934/quinton-coples

Was averaging 5 - 6 sacks per season from 2012 - 2014.  Not sure what happened in 2015 in terms of why his numbers are way off.  Maybe coaching change / scheme change at Jets, which led to his being claimed by Miami....

10 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I have not heard one thing about off the field issues. There was some effort talk predraft and I remember Rex talking through the media about him needing to take that next jump in his level of play.

There have been a lot of rumors about his effort and motivation. That's the main character concern with him. I've never seen anything about him being a problem off the field. Getting cut and being in our locker room should really help to solve the effort and motivation thing.

40 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

I don't think Coples has anything to do with CJ, but adding DE depth is a huge need for the Panthers.  I'm not sure Coples is capable of being a starter, but Gettleman knows a lot more than I do.  Could be a good value signing.  

I still CJ has something left in the tank, but he's not capable of playing as many downs as he once did and being effective.  I hope he is willing to negotiate and stay here.  CJ played well in the playoffs.  He had a bad regular season no doubt, but he was injured a lot.  People wanting to get rid of him need to consider that losing him leaves a huge hole at DE.  Not saying it can't be addressed, but CJ is still an average to above average DE even at this point.  He had 41 sacks in the 4 seasons prior to this past year.  2015 is the first time he hasn't earned his paycheck.

I'm thinking its more of a Frank Alexander replacement than CJ.

No doubt he wants to be here and his comfort with the 4-3 DE spot, our locker room, and being back in NC are all huge pluses for this guy.

remember this-- the guy cried in the green room when we didn't pick him. He has wanted to be a panther since day one. I'm very excited if he comes home.

if we add Coples that gives us both of the Jets top 2 picks in 2012 along with our own. Would be nice to put all that talent together on the field.

Archived