• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign C/G Gino Gradkowski

jdpanther5

9 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

He is a back-up for Kalil in case of injury. I believe Kalil will be a Panther for as long as he wishes and I'd expect him to want to stay for as long as he can keep playing the game.

And here's why: 

His long-term legacy. No one ever talks about it, but Kalil has all the hallmarks of a future Hall of Fame center. Like I said, no one talks about it because no one talks about offensive linemen and the Hall of Fame anymore... except for the Hall voters. They like to make sure a O-line person goes in every year or two. They understand the importance of the positions better than the average guy who just watches touchdowns or tackles.

In recent years, Kalil hasn't been just getting Pro Bowl nods, but he is often spoken of as the hands-down best center playing in the league today. He leads a great o-line here and is a big part of Newton's success. He's an all around likeable guy who is known for giving great interviews (remember that most of those Hall voters are sportswriters). If he can keep playing for a few more years, grab a ring or two (and we're as likely as anyone now) and go out with his health and wits about him, he'll be in Canton within six or seven years of retirement. He won't be a first ballot guy (no O-line player is generally), but he's a guy that voters can get behind.

Either that or DG just signed Kalil's replacement when it's time to pay Short and re-tag Norman at the end of next-season.

Kalil's huge contract could go a long-way into keeping our younger super-stars on the roster.

4 minutes ago, TheNewStandard said:

Either that or DG just signed Kalil's replacement when it's time to pay Short and re-tag Norman at the end of next-season.

Kalil's huge contract could go a long-way into keeping our younger super-stars on the roster.

He doesn't have a huge contract and this is basically the final year of it.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/ryan-kalil/

i keep on having to remember that we didn't sign him to start or anything. he's just an extra guy who knows multiple positions (is smart apparently) and works hard. if he's too small, he's too small. but Kalil is small too. maybe it just takes him learning more technique. Remmers took some time with bouncing around, and he is starting-- not the best RT in the league, but he held it down here for 1.5 seasons.

2 minutes ago, csx said:

He doesn't have a huge contract and this is basically the final year of it.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/ryan-kalil/

I didn't realize his contract dropped that much...I just saw close to 11-mil cap hit and assumed it would be the same in '17.

but he may be in a hold-out situation in 2017, but I'm glad his cap hit comes down almost 10-million...that's a big relief.

2 minutes ago, TheNewStandard said:

I didn't realize his contract dropped that much...I just saw close to 11-mil cap hit and assumed it would be the same in '17.

but he may be in a hold-out situation in 2017, but I'm glad his cap hit comes down almost 10-million...that's a big relief.

I just don't see the guy who bought a full-page ad in the Charlotte Observer a couple of years ago guaranteeing a Superb Owl as someone who would ever be a hold out on us. It'd be difficult to find a guy who is more bought into our team.

Don't get me wrong, the last few years of his work here won't come cheap, and it shouldn't, but he is a great value player who gets a darned good paycheck, It's a win-win relationship for him and the team. 

The thing about linemen is that they can stink to high heaven on one team then go to another and be decent, because if the blocking schemes they employ. Now I'm not sure if our blocking scheme is just incredibly easy to work within or if we're exceptional at finding those guys that for our scheme, but so far the guys Gettleman has sign for the OL have turned out pretty well. 

Past performance aside, the guy has the reputation of being smart, tough, and hardworking. Those three will go a long way when pure talent doesn't. 

26 minutes ago, TheNewStandard said:

11 million isn't bad for one of the top centers in the league and one that is as good a leader as he is.if he gets another contract it will be for less as he is getting up there. 

He's not going to hold out. I

Those numbers are an effect of the fact the last 2 years are voidable. He's not playing elsewhere. He will retire a Panther.

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

I just don't see the guy who bought a full-page ad in the Charlotte Observer a couple of years ago guaranteeing a Superb Owl as someone who would ever be a hold out on us. It'd be difficult to find a guy who is more bought into our team.

Don't get me wrong, the last few years of his work here won't come cheap, and it shouldn't, but he is a great value player who gets a darned good paycheck, It's a win-win relationship for him and the team. 

Kalil is great, no question, but we're gonna have to let someone go at some point.

who that player is? I dunno. When it comes down to brass taxes, who is more important?

I am encouraged that this is a solid draft for DTs and Safeties and those are the guys who can come right in and get in the rotation to contribute.

Getting Norman to sign a long-term deal would really help to clear things up, so we can get down to the nuts and bolts of paving the way for contracts involving our pro bowl DTs and our re-signing our developing OL around Kalil. 

Remmers is our weakest link, but his replacement is already on the roster. 

Trei is gonna be due for a big pay-raise, as will Norwell and maybe Ohed.

We have Stew penciled-in for two more years and hopefully that will give CAP time to develop into a primary rushing back and if that doesn't work-out, we have time to hopefully find that guy.

KB and Bene' will be next after all those signings across the DL/OL and that's gonna take some serious number crunching when that time comes.

its a lot to think about.

Archived