• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Game 7

Sapper

Going out the way we did in game 7 erases the positives this season. 

We looked soft. We are another one of those 3 point shooting teams that can't get it done when the defense picks up in the postseason.

Maybe it wouldn't have helped, but  to me the difference in this series goes back to not giving Biz the money we ended up giving Hansbrough. 

Not having a strong shot blocker inside forced us to collapse the D and made this Heat team look like God's from 3.

#1 addition must be a long post defender or there really is no point.

To think that we had what we needed but we declined to give him peanuts pisses me off.

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

I see what you're saying cpf, but imo, what ended our season was defense, not offense.  I feel like MKG has improved his shot enough to be a threat.  Hell, in one of those games he came back for this season, he hit 2 or 3 threes in one game, and confidently.  Pair that with his defense, and he's fine.  We'll still need the ability to create and drive outside of Kemba and MKG can do that.  The problem is he can't be trusted to stay healthy.

In my opinion, regardless the offensive system, of you have a Whiteside or Noah in the middle and MKG on the wing, we win that series 3-1.  The difference for us was defensive stops, which often lead to easy offense where the 4 out, 1 in isn't even needed.  In the games we lost, especially today, the defense was non-existent.  Both people sandbagging on picks, no hedging, no bumping, no physicality...  we literally bent over and handed Miami the lube. 

With a defensive presence in the middle and MKG on the outside, that poo doesn't happen.

I'm not just talking offense, both sides of the ball.

We didnt nor have we ever had the inside player needed for cliffs system. Till this year the team didn't even have the 3pt shooters. 

The team has no legit option at center and needs a stretch 4. What you hope happens is

Kemba

Batum

Mkg

Frank

FA accusation 

And MKG stays healthy, but at this point I think hoping he stays healthy is aksing for a lot. 

58 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I mean yeah I was speaking as a whole, not just this game or one season. Guess I should have made that more clear but I felt like it was. Ohwell.

Regardless, we keep thinking we are one player away to a degree, but it may not be that simple.

With the state of the league currently, for this franchise it's not about one player away from a title as much as putting a quality product on the floor every night.

After years of tanking and not getting anywhere at some point they needed to at least give us something and this was hopefully the start of something.

1 hour ago, OldNorthPowell said:

Well I went fishing instead of watching the game. I know the way the NBA works. Small market teams get a nice trip to round one and big markets advance. No matter who we sign we will never get past round 1 and even if we do never round 2. Always pandering to big markets and always beating up on small market players. This is the reason the NFL and even MLS soccer is funner to watch. Any team can win it any year. Even the Panthers have at least BEEN TO THE SUPER BOWL. I am done with the NBA for a long time and probably forever. I will stick to college bball and my Tar Heels because NBA is nothing more than WWE on a court.

I think you are right.  There's really no other credible explanation for a game 7 blowout in professional sports.  This kind of thing seems to happen a lot in the NBA playoffs.  The other team will win enough games to drag the series on and appear to be competitive.  However, when push comes to shove the favored team all of a sudden pulls away and makes it completely non-competitive.  It's bizarre.  

23 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

I think you are right.  There's really no other credible explanation for a game 7 blowout in professional sports.  This kind of thing seems to happen a lot in the NBA playoffs.  The other team will win enough games to drag the series on and appear to be competitive.  However, when push comes to shove the favored team all of a sudden pulls away and makes it completely non-competitive.  It's bizarre.  

You mean the favorited team who had the same record as us and split the season series with us. The same team we beat 3 times in a row. NBA is a set up and that is my opinion but saying the heat were huge favorites makes no sense outside of media pundits who beat the drums for big markets. NBA has the least amount of parity of any sport hands down and it is getting worse. My last comments on this league time to enjoy summer at the beaches.

21 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

I actually meant to quite Old, but this quoting system is broke so I'll just post to both of you...

But, usually I'm with you on the big market/bigger story conspiracy, but this loss was on us.  The officating was a joke, but we werent even competitive enough for it to make a difference.  Fuethermore, the officiating heavily favored us throughout the series until the last 2 mins or so of game 6, we just didn't show up until game 3, so it didnt matter.

And usually big markets are favored, but plenty smaller/mid-markets have had success in the playoffs - most notably and sustainably, the Spurs.  OKC, Orlando (Shaq/Penny then Howard), Portlamd in the Lakers glory years , Sacramento during the same time (which the NBA did clearly and purposely job them out of a championship), and Cleveland all have had sustained success in the playoffs at some point over the last 20 years.  The common denominator?  They had at least one, sometimes two star players.

If officiating sucks in a game, look who is on floor.  Officials are going to favor the star player and their team.  We aren't successful in the playoffs because we don't have the players to get there right now.  Now, just as is the case with the NFL, does the governing body intervene when it comes to the championship?  I believe they often do.  But, getting there is the first step, and we aren't currently constructed to even get out of the first round with certainty.

There definitely needs to be some major changes this offseason.

26 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

i think the first round of the NBA playoffs should be best out of 5 - best out of 7 will always allow the better team to advance- thats why we lost.. 7 game series always make sure the bigger/better teams move on - hence the NCAA tourney and NFL playoffs with sudden death elimination games so intriguing.. a weaker team can have that one shining moment and advance. 

Let's get real - we were not as good of a team as Miami. We can say MKG, Batum and Zeller were dinged up - but they had Bosh on the shelf the whole time..

Drajic, Wade, Deng, JJ, Whiteside > Kemba, Lee, Marvin, Frank, Al --- and it's not even close. BUT if it were a 5 game series, maybe we win.. you could tell when Spolstra said, "okay now we got a series" and we all laughed at him.. i knew we were in a fight at home on Friday.. no way we walk away with this thing - we are gunna have to scrap.. and we fell short

20 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

This series lasted longer than it should have but at least Miami was consistent when it mattered the most (that three game vacation was inexcusable). Good series, Charlotte, but deep down y'all knew it would end like this. Better luck next year.

Coming out of hiding now that it is safe. Didn't post much during our 3 game winning streak but blowing your horn now that the Heat have moved on. Easy to talk after a win.

1 hour ago, cbarrier90 said:

lol seriously? I thought you were one of the reasonable ones here!

Yeah I may have...MAY have broken my rule of avoiding reactionary posts right after I'm done watching the game lol. I watched it later on DVR. Not worth the hard drive space.

4 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I think we have a chance with Whiteside.  fug Howard.  I want no part of that ish here...

And while personally, i agree with you about Batum in yesrs past, the huge jump in the cap is going to make a lot of guys max players that didn't deserve it in years past.

U right...unfortunately, we'd have to overpay for Batum and I would rather have Whiteside, period. Howard would be a disaster here.

1 hour ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Meh. I didn't post when we won Game 6.

Either way, while I love B-Ball, my attention was on the draft.

Enjoy your impending loss either next round or a sweep by Cleveland in the eastern finals.

Archived