• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers OTA Notes and Photos

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Didn't Philly have a huge long pass play against the Broncos? The one where Talib literally had to try to rip his head off to stop him from scoring. 

True enough, he did have a couple big catches in the Super Bowl.  But also true is he only had 447 yards last season while playing starter minutes.  This was without Kelvin playing the entire season and with Funchess not seeing any minutes till the last few games.   Would he have even broken 100 yards this season if Kelvin hadn't gotten hurt?  

1 hour ago, Hammerin'Cameron34 said:

I don't think anybody is saying he's not good but the thing is when you've got a lot of talent players who are good are going to get cut

I Agree with you. We saw this with LBs last year. I think Philly is safe, though. He was our #4 wr. He has to be beaten out by at least two guys, maybe three for him to be sent packing. While its certainly possible, none of those guys have the experience or production that he has.

My issue with the WRs is Ginn.  

I love the chemistry between he and Cam, and there's no doubt that he came up big for us last year without KB.  

However, after 2016, do we really retain a 32-year old veteran, when there's a 25-year old Philly Brown sitting there?  I believe Ginn will be here this year, but he's also taking a roster slot from one of the potential youngsters.  

If Hill and Norwood continue to push, we need to hold onto them.  What about Byrd? Garrett?  It's crazy how loaded we are and that's why I truly hope we keep 6 on the roster this year.  

After this season it gets easier when Ginn leaves.  KB-Funch-Brown, and then two of Byrd, Garrett, Hill, and Norwood.  

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, SmashNDash said:

If Hill can pull it together, we're going to have to make some tough decisions.   I would be on board with keeping 6, Benji, Funchess, Hill, Byrd and Ginn and hopefully Garrett can be retained on the practice squad.  I just don't think Philly is that good or brings much to the table, and neither does Bersin.  The Broncos showed the game plan to beat us, and what we need is more speed/players that can't be single covered.

You don't cut Philly to keep Hill, you just don't do it. And I hear division rivals saying the broncos showed teams how to be us. But honestly how many teams have 3 good/great corners, Ward, Ware and a Von Miller coming at you? Teams tried the same thing against us all season and the Broncos just had the personnel to pull it off

• Pie 3

57 minutes ago, SmashNDash said:

True enough, he did have a couple big catches in the Super Bowl.  But also true is he only had 447 yards last season while playing starter minutes.  This was without Kelvin playing the entire season and with Funchess not seeing any minutes till the last few games.   Would he have even broken 100 yards this season if Kelvin hadn't gotten hurt?  

Funchess not seeing minutes? He had 31 catches- same as Brown, with 26 more yds. and targeted 9 more times than Brown. Cotchery had similar numbers. Ginn and Olsen were the primary receivers of course, with more impressive numbers. Frankly I don't see your point regarding "only had 447 yards". There are only so many receptions to go around.

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, caatfan said:

Funchess not seeing minutes? He had 31 catches- same as Brown, with 26 more yds. and targeted 9 more times than Brown. Cotchery had similar numbers. Ginn and Olsen were the primary receivers of course, with more impressive numbers. Frankly I don't see your point regarding "only had 447 yards". There are only so many receptions to go around.

Read my post before you try to argue a point.  I said Funchess did not receive very many minutes until the end of the season.  7 of his 31 catches came in week 17.  Brown started almost every game.  

You're arguing my point exactly, there are only so many passes to go around. Brown only had 447 yards when he was starting almost every game.  If you put Benji on the field and increase Funchess' snaps, that's far fewer snaps for Brown and fewer times he will be targeted.  He would have been lucky to break 100 yards, because Benji would have had close to 1,000, and those have to come from somewhere.

2 minutes ago, SmashNDash said:

Read my post before you try to argue a point.  I said Funchess did not receive very many minutes until the end of the season.  7 of his 31 catches came in week 17.  Brown started almost every game.  

You're arguing my point exactly, there are only so many passes to go around. Brown only had 447 yards when he was starting almost every game.  If you put Benji on the field and increase Funchess' snaps, that's far fewer snaps for Brown and fewer times he will be targeted.  He would have been lucky to break 100 yards, because Benji would have had close to 1,000, and those have to come from somewhere.

I did read your post. Otherwise what would I be responding to? 

Starting means nothing. I looked at the numbers. Makes sense to me and still does.  Argue all you want. I'm sticking to my original post. I see no point in reading any more of your speculation about numbers.

5 minutes ago, SmashNDash said:

You can't argue that logic. It's the exact inverse of what Rivera said last year when KB went down. You don't replace the player, you replace the production. I honestly see Ginn's numbers dropping like crazy this season; he's going from #1 receiver (which he was never intended to be) to # 3 (unless Funchess hasn't progressed at all, which is unlikely). We'll likely have several cut receivers in other teams' jerseys this season. How weird is that?

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, caatfan said:

Exactly.  3837 Yds. Considering our rushing attack is top tier those are some pretty good numbers.  

If Shula loses his mind and becomes Chudz is about the only way you are going to see our WR with huge numbers. 

1 hour ago, caatfan said:

we also attempted the 27th most passes in the league with the most rushing attempts

get cam slinging the ball around 40 times every week and let's check those numbers then

27 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

You can't argue that logic. It's the exact inverse of what Rivera said last year when KB went down. You don't replace the player, you replace the production. I honestly see Ginn's numbers dropping like crazy this season; he's going from #1 receiver (which he was never intended to be) to # 3 (unless Funchess hasn't progressed at all, which is unlikely). We'll likely have several cut receivers in other teams' jerseys this season. How weird is that?

Exactly, and KB's production had to be redistributed across the remaining recievers/Olsen.  In that environment, which would have been his best chance for most success, Brown only managed 447 yards.  While I don't think he's necessarily a bad receiver, he possess average speed, no size and no explosiveness or ability to break tackles. I would rather roll with Benji and Funch as the starting two, Garrett as our 4 and Ginn at the 3 util we can find someone who is a younger more ideal slot.  If you have that 5th spot, I rather it go to Hill who has elite speed/size and was once upon a time supposed to be the Jets #1 of the future. If he can be our 5, I think we're in good shape.