• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton, reigning MVP, among most Underpaid (edit)

CarolinaCoolin

5 hours ago, Thorrez said:

Those lists are usually compiled from official income (as the government sees it). So depending on contract structure both signing bonus och other guaranteed money could be included.

We had three players making the top 100 list a couple years ago (CJ, Kalil and someone I can't remember).  

Those lists are what he got paid in real cash not future money. That was his salary for that year. And that is what you compare what he did by. In 2016 he will make substantial less so if he wins the MVP this year he will be severely underpaid for 2016. But ask Richardson who shelled it out whether all of that signing bonus and roster bonus counted as compensation for 2015. That was cash in the bank. So was Cam well paid in 2015. Yes by any standard.

38 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Those lists are what he got paid in real cash not future money. That was his salary for that year. And that is what you compare what he did by. In 2016 he will make substantial less so if he wins the MVP this year he will be severely underpaid for 2016. But ask Richardson who shelled it out whether all of that signing bonus and roster bonus counted as compensation for 2015. That was cash in the bank. So was Cam well paid in 2015. Yes by any standard.

Can't be that simple as the money does not add up. His cash earnings in 2015 is $24M, the endorsement figure I find is $11M. Nowhere near $52 even with a roster bonus of $7.5M (I'm not sure if that is included in the 24 or not). 

Most likely the Panthers Inc. has some of Cams future guaranteed on the books as a dept (as a way to lower profit and push profit taxes into future years). And that money is included in the 52.

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Again he got close to  30 million in signing bonus and roster bonus alone. That wasn't the 18th highest among quarterbacks. His overall deal was 4th among quarterbacks among total compensation but what he received was likely higher than anyone unless another quarterback got more in a signing bonus. Again you confuse salary cap or average salary with his actual salary. I am talking what he got paid for what he did. And as usual I am the one who is right. 

Came into thread to make fun of OP. 

Leaving thread dumbfounded by not OP. 

The best I can tell his compensation as in total cash he received was 22,5000,000 I  a signing bonus and 7,500,000 in a roster bonus plus a 1 million base salary for a total salary in 2015 of 31 million paid to him in 2015. The endorsements were worth 11 million I understand which accounts for 42 million he was paid in 2015. Not sure where the other 10 million came from unless that includes the guaranteed money for 2016 which he will get paid.. Still who still wants to argue he was underpaid for 2015 by any standard. Seems to me 31 million was a ton of money in the bank. Sure if he is great in 2016 he could be underpaid based on salary in 2016, but that won't be known until we see how things turn out.

26 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

The best I can tell his compensation as in total cash he received was 22,5000,000 I  a signing bonus and 7,500,000 in a roster bonus plus a 1 million base salary for a total salary in 2015 of 31 million paid to him in 2015. The endorsements were worth 11 million I understand which accounts for 42 million he was paid in 2015. Not sure where the other 10 million came from unless that includes the guaranteed money for 2016 which he will get paid.. Still who still wants to argue he was underpaid for 2015 by any standard. Seems to me 31 million was a ton of money in the bank. Sure if he is great in 2016 he could be underpaid based on salary in 2016, but that won't be known until we see how things turn out.

Thing is, if you think of the signing bonus as amortized over the life of the contract, his annual compensation falls well in line for QBs. And when you look at his adjusted compensation that way, he may well be underpaid for what he brings to this team. 

15 minutes ago, OriginalPantherDan said:

Thing is, if you think of the signing bonus as amortized over the life of the contract, his annual compensation falls well in line for QBs. And when you look at his adjusted compensation that way, he may well be underpaid for what he brings to this team. 

But it is only amortized for salary cap purposes. He has been paid the money. If he gets a career ending injury in 2016 he still got the money. Without a lawsuit do you think he will give the rest of the amortized money back? Sure if he keeps up his work or gets better he will be underpaid for what he brings but that is the future and who knows what happens. But for 2015 he got 31 million in the bank. That is reality. The rest is speculation. Was he underpaid for 2015?   The only answer is not at all.

15 hours ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

yeah i think you've got it backwards

and cam's extension is going to look like a bargain in the coming years

Cam is going to do what MJ did.

Yes, he's going to be *among* the best paid at his position, but he's never going to demand to be in the very top.  Why?  Because, like MJ, Cam is just beginning to make much of his $$$ outside of his sport.

So he can afford to be WELL paid and AMONG the best paid, but he can afford to sit back a little farther than most for the benefit of his team.

IMO.

38 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Yes, he's going to be *among* the best paid at his position, but he's never going to demand to be in the very top.  Why?  Because, like MJ, Cam is just beginning to make much of his $$$ outside of his sport.

So he can afford to be WELL paid and AMONG the best paid, but he can afford to sit back a little farther than most for the benefit of his team.

IMO.

It obviously only helps his marketability if he allows a well rounded team to be maintained.  Win/Win

55 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

IMO.

This is easy to say you are going to do, but not so easy to actually do.

These guys have enormous ego's, they want to be the highest paid in the game not so much for the extra 2M, but for the bragging rights. 

Very few Brady's out there....even the choir boy (Manning 1) was almost always the highest paid QB in the league.

Archived