• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Madden 17 Gameplay (Panthers vs Cardinals)

Lilsmitty09

21 hours ago, Chimera said:

lol 2k5 was just a lot of Chris Berman, and mysterious diseases that made defenses fatigue quickly when you called hot routes. and charging up the little circle to sprint faster... what?

the NFL 2K5 circlejerk is ridiculous. Yes it was better than Madden 05. I mean... who wants to play Madden during a year where they made defenses stingy when you can wear out the defense by calling hot routes? I really didn't like the Madden engine that was on Madden 05 through Madden 09. It was changed in Madden 10 and the game became 50 times better. I always laugh at these threads where people say it was the same from 08-13 because there were multiple engines that were very different.

To each their own...

...wait...what the f@#$?!

I love how Madden has these "new engines" every few years, but when similar animations/issues surface, the developers reference that they "are using old architecture because they couldn't make a new engine due to time/resource restraints." (paraphrasing)

I mean which is it? You can't have a new engine "built from the ground up" and still have the same face mask animation, or QB's that still don't quite look like they are throwing a football, or suction blocking, or a physics engine where weight doesn't matter (you can still have a line with "kicker" sized linemen and they will hold blocks).

They have improved gang tackling, and it only took them 12 years to get it done.

2K did things that EA still can't do, or rather won't do because what's the point? It's not like we still have the option of a competing football game to purchase...and that's the issue.

It seems to me that ea spends too much time worried about td dances than game play. I don't know when some game makers will ever learn that game play is the most important thing. Who cares if the games looks beautiful if it sucks to play it 

NBA2K16 is much, much more realistic looking, and the player animations are smoother, and that is basketball! Madden gets the bonus of everyone wearing the same helmet so they don't have to worry to much about players' facial expressions or hair. The player movements in NBA2k are natural and smooth. In Madden its like something from 2003....herky jerky running, jumping, and controls. I mean its night and day, just play an hour of both games. EA is poisonous to whatever it touches...it has ruined Battlefield, Sim City, Command and Conquer, Star Wars, and countless others

On ‎2016‎/‎06‎/‎25 at 11:21 AM, Wundrbread33 said:

To each their own...

...wait...what the f@#$?!

I love how Madden has these "new engines" every few years, but when similar animations/issues surface, the developers reference that they "are using old architecture because they couldn't make a new engine due to time/resource restraints." (paraphrasing)

I mean which is it? You can't have a new engine "built from the ground up" and still have the same face mask animation, or QB's that still don't quite look like they are throwing a football, or suction blocking, or a physics engine where weight doesn't matter (you can still have a line with "kicker" sized linemen and they will hold blocks).

They have improved gang tackling, and it only took them 12 years to get it done.

2K did things that EA still can't do, or rather won't do because what's the point? It's not like we still have the option of a competing football game to purchase...and that's the issue.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees this.... "Suction blocking" is a term that originated in the criticism of the 2k series. It was "fixed" in 2k5 by simply having tight ends and full backs not engage defenders until the second level. That's why in 2k5 running backs are easily destroyed in the backfield. I love the revisionism on display when the term is applied to Madden.

A "new engine," in my opinion, refers more to mechanics than animations. Madden 2005 was the first year of a new engine designed to make defenses more realistic (in my opinion, it failed miserably due to teleporting DBs). Madden 10 was a new engine designed to give the player more control - expanded on pre-snap controls to offer more line adjustments, multiple hot routes, a control dedicated to actually being able to scramble with your QB, adjust a certain player's responsibility (ie, blitz with your SS instead of calling an audible to an all-out 8 man blitz). Most importantly, it got rid of that annoying EA Sports Radio.

2k5 did many things right. They used the hell out of the ESPN license. Online leagues worked very well. Playing games against another player's "profile" was pretty cool. Double teams on the offensive line worked fairly well. The weekly wrap up show was ok, despite using canned animations for the highlights rather than things that actually happened in the game. I enjoyed being able to choose what I wanted to be challenged.

However, the drops... check downs to a back in the flats had, what, a 30% success rate? To fix the suction blocking, lead blockers were made useless in the backfield. I remember throwing motion was just the player's body leaning back, and the arm wind milling.

The ability to hold blocks is determined by player skills, not attributes. That's true on perhaps every football game. I was still running down WRs with DTs in 2k5 - not sure it's the game you want to talk about for physics.

But trying to compare 2k5 to Madden is nothing but a giant circlejerk. Yeah, everybody hates the exclusivity deal - even me. But don't sit here and pretend that DBs in 2k5 weren't able to react to a ball thrown while their back was turned. Or that collision detection often made players disappear. Or that the game stuttered when you dropped back to pass. Or the time I played, the other team went for it on 4th down; I intercepted the pass and got tackled before THEIR first down marker. It was a turnover on downs for me. WHUUUUT?

9 hours ago, Chimera said:

Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees this.... "Suction blocking" is a term that originated in the criticism of the 2k series. It was "fixed" in 2k5 by simply having tight ends and full backs not engage defenders until the second level. That's why in 2k5 running backs are easily destroyed in the backfield. I love the revisionism on display when the term is applied to Madden.

A "new engine," in my opinion, refers more to mechanics than animations. Madden 2005 was the first year of a new engine designed to make defenses more realistic (in my opinion, it failed miserably due to teleporting DBs). Madden 10 was a new engine designed to give the player more control - expanded on pre-snap controls to offer more line adjustments, multiple hot routes, a control dedicated to actually being able to scramble with your QB, adjust a certain player's responsibility (ie, blitz with your SS instead of calling an audible to an all-out 8 man blitz). Most importantly, it got rid of that annoying EA Sports Radio.

2k5 did many things right. They used the hell out of the ESPN license. Online leagues worked very well. Playing games against another player's "profile" was pretty cool. Double teams on the offensive line worked fairly well. The weekly wrap up show was ok, despite using canned animations for the highlights rather than things that actually happened in the game. I enjoyed being able to choose what I wanted to be challenged.

However, the drops... check downs to a back in the flats had, what, a 30% success rate? To fix the suction blocking, lead blockers were made useless in the backfield. I remember throwing motion was just the player's body leaning back, and the arm wind milling.

The ability to hold blocks is determined by player skills, not attributes. That's true on perhaps every football game. I was still running down WRs with DTs in 2k5 - not sure it's the game you want to talk about for physics.

But trying to compare 2k5 to Madden is nothing but a giant circlejerk. Yeah, everybody hates the exclusivity deal - even me. But don't sit here and pretend that DBs in 2k5 weren't able to react to a ball thrown while their back was turned. Or that collision detection often made players disappear. Or that the game stuttered when you dropped back to pass. Or the time I played, the other team went for it on 4th down; I intercepted the pass and got tackled before THEIR first down marker. It was a turnover on downs for me. WHUUUUT?

This just screams "madden homer" to me.

I have had a ton of fun playing Madden. I've actually had more memories with Madden because the popularity of the game resulted in the majority of my pals buying it, so I always had a copy.

Both games had(have) their merits, but the content 2K Sports packed into their football game a dozen years ago was astounding. Their mistake? Making their game dirt cheap with more content than what EA provided at the time. A metaphorical kick to EA's nuts. The rest is history.

Suction blocking originated in 2K? Guess I learn something new everyday. How you can throw that 2k's direction and ignore that it is arguably considered the biggest consumer complaint about Madden over the past decade is interesting to me.

Blocking is determined by player skills, not attributes? Well obviously Madden works this way, but is it right for a 5'10" 180 lbs. kicker to hold his ground like a 6'3" 300 lbs. center does? This has been in Madden for years and it is disgraceful.

Madden today is better than NFL 2k5. They have improved the game every year, but at a snails pace because of exclusivity. What is appalling is that things 2k5 got right (or did damn well at) such as presentation, gang tackling (although Madden finally does this pretty well), interior running game, etc. are still lacking in refinement in the Madden franchise, and that hurts all of us.

...oh and running down WR's with DT's.......Madden countered their overpowered ball carriers in Madden 25 by adding the "suction tackle" where spamming "A" or "X" allowed your 350 lbs. NT to warp-dive 5+ yards to catch even AP with a shoestring tackle from behind. The best players in our league really are just the best at spamming "A" within the oversized tackle area.

Suction blocking on offense, suction shoestring tackles on defense. Double the suction! For everyone! 

Not a 2k hater but I will say world class athletes shouldn't take a full second to change direction... in basketball. I'm just sick of the arguments comparing Madden to 2k is like comparing a flip phone to a smart phone. POO DONE CHANGED MAAAAAAAAAN. I'm not saying Madden is perfect but it's all we got. Kind of akin to people still bitching about Smitty IMHO

There are slight differences in some of the blocking mechanics that I saw, but otherwise, it looks like the same game. Clunky movement, same catch animations (though those are decent, honestly), and no regard for height/weight being a variable in blocking/tackling. Luke Kuechly should have no trouble getting off blocks from WRs, yet he would get shoved inside on blocks on the edge wayyyy too often.

I mean Madden is fundamentally garbage in many ways regardless of people's 2k nostalgia. 

It can be fun in its own goofy way if you master it's brokenness but it's a pretty awful simulation compared to UFC, FIFA, The Show, NBA 2k, NHL, you name it.

If you take the time and set the game up each year, Madden is a fantastic fantasy simulation game. It usually takes up to about week 6, real nfl season, for that season's madden to be full speed.

I try to get the game sometime around opening week and spend that time learning the new game. Each years game mostly handles differntly in regards to sliders, ext.

A few patches later and its nearly a damn good game. Nearly.

But it does pass the time and allow you a place to practice your football knowledge. 

Archived