• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All the Shula haters...

London Loves Luke

11 hours ago, Udogg said:

Because sometimes you set up plays to do other things.  That same 1 yard out route , we ran a variation on it later where it looked like an out route and Tobert broke it off and went up the seem.  Think it was a penalty that brought it back but it was a good play.  Just because a play didn't work, doesn't mean it's stupid or doesn't have a purpose.  

No one is going to believe the play action if you never hand it off,  No one is going to account for draws if you never do them.   We scored 39 points on offense,  averaged 30 points a game last year.   It's like all you Shula haters have selective memories.  Every good play isn't  just Cam, and every bad play isn't just Shula. Deflection pics? Shula fault?  Fumbles?  Shula fault?  Drops? We had 6 yesterday ..Shula's fault?  

I can agree with most of what you're saying, but this team just has great personnel at the skill positions and do a lot in making Shula look better than he probably is.

Im just glad to see the timing routes actually being executed and that's an entire unit's credit...including the coaches, and not just the playcall.

33 minutes ago, Raskle said:

I don't have an issue with the playcalls. A lot of times, the play isn't very effective because it wasn't executed correctly. Sometimes, the DC just sees something, and the play is nullified, but that happens in the chess match of football.

My only real gripe is the delay it takes to get to the line and get the play off. Whether that's on Shula, Rivera, Cam, or whomever - it needs to stop. We should flow more, scripting at least 3 or 4 plays ahead  - again, like chess. Strategy shouldn't be reactive, which is what it feels like at the moment. It's planning ahead to ensure victory through a series of moves.

Against poor to good teams, this can work, provided the execution is there. Against very good to elite teams, it can get you killed quickly. Need a more fluid approach to our offense, and I won't utter a peep about Shula, or whomever is slowing us down.

We had a lot of injuries and personnel changes throughout the game...that threw things off a bit, but I agree with most of what you're saying.

4 hours ago, panthers55 said:

I have to keep reminding myself that no matter what happens good pr bad the same folks are going to make the same lame comments and let it go.  You just cant fix stupid and I sometimes forget that.

You have to keep up the good fight.  Sometimes you reach people, the problem is they just say.. hmm maybe that's right.  

They don't understand the entire purpose of play action is to cause hesitation on the linebackers to allow the receivers room to get behind those linebackers.  That the entire concept of play action doesn't work if you never actually run up the middle.  

You can explain to your are blue in the face that most of our passing game is based of our run concepts. That we run plays that look the same in formation and motion but the actual plays are completely different.  Even the reverses are meant to set up other things for when we motion people into the backfield. 

We can start at the 20 move all the way down the field then score, but they are still thinking about the run that got stuffed on 2nd and 3.  

Got to keep pounding and hope you reach the reasonable ones. 

I see a lot of people complain about the calls not coming in quick enough.

Just want to remind everyone Cam has at least 15 seconds every time to relay the call and get everyone lined up.

NFL rules make them cut off the communication device to QB's helmet 15 seconds before the play clock expires.

If on the road in a loud hostile environment(can't hear the call in his helmet) they may rely more on hand signs from the sideline but at least at home I don't think that's the case

2 hours ago, Fox007 said:

Generalities eh?

"  I love how each week the announcers and folks who actually coached or played the game talk about how creative and innovative our offense is and then folks like you come on and criticize it.  " -p55

Then Tiki gets on our game and blames Bradberry for the TD he gave up when Boston was supposed to stay back and help the post. I suppose the ones who "know the game" are the ones who say Shula is good, but really they looking at our offensive rank and going "what's the name of their OC?"..."*name of OC* has done a great job in Carolina"(reading from a sheet) and that's it and all they have to say. They don't know the team nor do they care.

If 45 year old Madden said Shula was good, yea I'd listen but Madden himself was relentlessly made fun of in his later years and comedians can do entire bits on him.

Lets quote Mr. Madden shall we:

"There’s a lot of letters in Ladanian Tomlinson"

"A team should never practice on a field that is not lined. Your players have to become aware of the field’s boundaries."

"The best way to gain more yards is advance the ball down the field from the line of scrimmage."

"If you lose your best cornerback and punter, I’d say that’s a double loss."

"It’s 3rd and 20..They need a good play here."

"See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands."

"When you have great players, playing great, well that’s great football!"

"Ruben Brown made that play there, well I mean he missed the guy completley but he was able to create just enough room for Thomas Jones by whiffing. The air he created on the miss gave Jones enough space to score."

"If the quarterback throws the ball in the endzone and the Wide Receiver catches it,. It’s a touchdown."

"If this team doesn’t put points on the board I don’t see how they can win."

"Whenever you talk about a Mike Shanahan offense, you’re always going to be talking about his offense."

"Some yards is better than none yards?"

"Here’s a guy, here’s a guy who when he puts his contacts in, he can see better"

"Usually the team that scores the most points wins the game."

"Mark Brunell usually likes to soak his balls before a rainy game."

"When your arm gets hit, the ball is not going to go where you want it to."

"They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it."

"The Dallas Cowboys have 2 types of plays in their playbook. Passing plays, and running plays."

"When its raining the field gets wet, then all of a sudden everyones running slower?"

But seriously Madden was great but damn was he funny when he got old.

If Madden is so old and out of it then why does our twice coach of the year seek his advice on a regular basis. I wonder what Ron knows that you apparently don't.  Oh thats right he knows football and you don't have a clue.

12 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

You Shula Supporters are funny.

What kind of question is that? Did you not see our offense was still struggling to get to the LOS before the playclock was at 0:07? Did you not see Cam drop back deep and wait for our WRs to get open because of long routes? Did you not see how many the run up the gut attempts we had on 2nd and 10 despite having no avail?

Shula only has a job because of Cam.

Offense not getting to the LOS coaches fault? fug yeah!!

Execution problems on game day, coaches fault? Hell yeah!!

Living with such ignorance is so blissful.

We currently lead the league in points. Besides, what OC is perfect? They all make mistakes. If u are one of those that dislike Shula for being imperfect and going bonehead from time to time, you wouldn't be happy with anyone. I think all in all, Shula does a pretty good job of preparing Cam to dominate each week.

Sent from my XT1575 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

1 hour ago, TheNewStandard said:

I can agree with most of what you're saying, but this team just has great personnel at the skill positions and do a lot in making Shula look better than he probably is.

Im just glad to see the timing routes actually being executed and that's an entire unit's credit...including the coaches, and not just the playcall.

Totally agree on the personnel. However Ginn looks better than he has anywhere else, Olsen looks better than his years with the Bears (i know Martz is an idiot).  I just think Shula deserves some credit as well.  

People saying that this offense doesn't work without Cam are missing the point that this offense is custom built to use Cam.  Cam isn't running a west coach offense, a norv turner offense, air coryell etc..  This offense is built for Cam to be ran by Cam.  That's the offensive coordinator putting it together. That means Shula understanding Cam's unique talent designed a 1 of a kind offense that he runs to damn near perfection now. 

Are there things we could do better?  Yes definitely.  I think our run game is inefficient.  Effective but inefficient. More direct zone, less read would be more effective in my opinion. I think Cam scares enough people with his arm now for it to be more effective. We ran more plays with Cam under center Sunday that we have in the past.  The timing routes are a development of Cam getting better and having KB who you basically can't jam.  I also think the Offense is a constantly evolving thing.  I think Shula is doing a good to really good Job.  I think Cam is a once in a generation talent and I think 30 points a game with out defense is the recipe for success. 

39 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Offense not getting to the LOS coaches fault? fug yeah!!

Execution problems on game day, coaches fault? Hell yeah!!

Living with such ignorance is so blissful.

Yes The CLEAR look of frustration on Cams face when he is getting the play and ends having to call a timeout is just ignorance. Happens plenty of times by the way.

5 hours ago, CarolinaCoolin said:

We rushed for 178,yards yesterday. Our back up had 100 of those yards. How much better on the ground do you want than that? Like you really can't ask for a better rushing attack than what we have

You realize that like 50 of those yards from Fozzy came on those draws on the 3rd and 25s? Stats don't mean poo. 

Archived