• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

You are handed the keys to the stadium. You have just been nomiated GM of the Carolina Panthers. What do you do right now to turn things around?

Datawire

1 minute ago, pstall said:

3rd rounder and cash for Joe Haden. Funchess and 4th for Joe Thomas.  It's easier to find a wr in the draft than a cb or ot.

Hmm not a developed wide receiver out the draft, you feel Funchess isn't starting to come into his own as a pro? I do agree with the Joe Haden possibility.

Nothing for this year. This year is shot. 

I'd offer KK less than what we offered this past offseason, if he balks, I tag him. 

Id try and lock up Trai and Norwell. 

Id use our top five pick to take Cam Robinson out of Alabama. 

Id spend money in free agency. Id sign the best available pass rusher and the best available strong safety. Id move Coleman back to free safety next year. 

Id sign a mid tier corner, preferably one that has played corner for over 3 years in the league. 

I would not sign kelvin long term. Id use his option and make him prove he's worthy of big money.  

With my second pick, I'd draft a tight end (someone like hunter Henry who we should have drafted this year). 

With my later round picks I'm taking the best blocking fb available and another pass rusher. 

Id cut Gano in the offseason. 

Id try to extend star but the money would need to be right. We can't overpay for both defensive tackles. 

8 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

Nothing for this year. This year is shot. 

I'd offer KK less than what we offered this past offseason, if he balks, I tag him. 

Id try and lock up Trai and Norwell. 

Id use our top five pick to take Cam Robinson out of Alabama. 

Id spend money in free agency. Id sign the best available pass rusher and the best available strong safety. Id move Coleman back to free safety next year. 

Id sign a mid tier corner, preferably one that has played corner for over 3 years in the league. 

I would not sign kelvin long term. Id use his option and make him prove he's worthy of big money.  

With my second pick, I'd draft a tight end (someone like hunter Henry who we should have drafted this year). 

With my later round picks I'm taking the best blocking fb available and another pass rusher. 

Id cut Gano in the offseason. 

Id try to extend star but the money would need to be right. We can't overpay for both defensive tackles. 

Another good well thought out post. However, it looks like a few others, pack it in this season and focus on next year while six weeks into this season with ten games to go.

We did pretty well last season bringing in McClain & Finnegan off the street as emergency CB help.  Given that we're down to Sanchez, Williams & Lou Young right now we need to find some help at CB.   Have no idea of who might be out there....

Any chance that Leonard Johnson could help if he's activated from the NFI / PUP?  I don't really know much about him...

I don't know what to say about pass rush issues?  I don't know about bringing in new DEs.  Maybe shake up our current rotation?  Play Addison more than Ealy?  Switch sides?  Ealy plays much better on the other side, or at least he did last season....  Somehow these guys have to get the message that it is not business as usual.  There needs to be some kind of urgency, a real threat to their jobs....

38 minutes ago, Datawire said:

However, it looks like a few others, pack it in this season and focus on next year while six weeks into this season with ten games to go.

I guess there's a reason that only one 1-5 team has ever made the playoffs... It's simply not plausible to make the kind of changes needed this deep into a season.

Fire Gettleman. Inform Rivera he must demote Shula or Rivera will be terminated.

Extend KK Short now.

Trade Andy Lee for a draft pick.

Put Ealy, Bradberry, Worley, Sanchez, Butler, Philly Brown, and Dickson on the trading block to determine if they have enough value to trade. Trading the highest value CB.

Cut Remmers since he will not be resigned and give Williams and Hawkins time to rotate in at starting RT.

Cut Gano to send a message.

Cut Teddy Williams.

Cut Chris Scott.

Want to cut Soliai, but the contract given to him was horrible and locks him in.

Re sign Bene as nickel. Apologize for idiot move. 

Put Coleman back at FS and sign a vet SS or put Colin Jones in at SS. Play Boston at SS to see if he can carry over his aggressive style at the LoS. See how Jeremy Cash works at SS.

Sign a vet CB to man the outside while the rookie rotate in 1 CB position that Coleman will favor from the FS position.

Sign practice squad receivers to play 3rd down slot receiver. 60%+ catching or next man up. Need at least 2 WRs with reliable hands and quick separation in first 10 yards. James Kumerow would be my first target.

Approach trades for young DE like Ogbbah, Calhoun, or Odighizuwa.

Fug it I would start now, the season is a dumpter fire already.

1- fire Shula and promote Proehl, if Ron has a problem with it he will be replaced by McDermott

2- promote Byrd as the new kick returner and punt returner after releasing Bersin. 

3- scout CB's, DE's, OT's, and RB's.

4- scout up and coming college O. Coaches and O. coordinators that could create a new system for Cam playing style. 

5- use some of the cap to resign KK before the off season. 

6- send G.Hardy to rehab and a personal trainer to get him back in football shape. Give him a private workout in the offseason.

Offseason post coming soon!!

As most are saying, not much you can do right now so will focus on offseason. I would completely overhaul special teams with new  coaches and players. Get rid of Colin Jones, Teddy Williams, and Joe Webb and replace them with proven players from successful special teams units like the Seahawks or Vikings. Get a well rounded TE alongside Olsen, I will admit that Ed Dickson had a good game but we need more consistency. Get a WR in the mold of Edelman or Cooks that can work inside and win on 3rd down. Cut Tolbert and get a true blocking FB. Demote Mike Remmers. Find Jonathan Stewart's replacement as the team does not think CAP can be a future RB1. On Defense, make a decision on Ealy - move him to the left side or make him a rotational player. Let CJ go and get 2 or 3 new DE via free agency or draft. Like Shaq Thompson start ahead of Thomas Davis. Get a proven CB alongside Bradberry. I still believe in Worley but he is not ready and Sanchez should only play about 20% of snaps. Finally, find a long term solution at one of the safety spots. 

3 hours ago, Datawire said:

I asked this question in another poo posting thread with no takers. As of RIGHT NOW, what would you do to turn it around as the Panthers GM. Not last week, or the week before, right now. I see a lot of complaints here, but I don't see any solutions other than Dave, Ron, and Mike has to go! As if that will magically fix things. So, what would you do? Complaints get us nowhere. I want to see some solutions from the huddlers here for a change. Put on your nipple shorts grab the facility keys to the stadium and let us hear it.

Archived