• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Beason chimes in on Nippleshorts

SCP

7 hours ago, PhillyB said:

saw 7 pages under the thread title, got excited. read 7 pages of poo-slinging. disappointed.

gettleman is not tearing down the team and rebuilding it. that's stupid and it's like when you see a politician you don't like and say they're trying to destroy america. everyone looks at you sideways because only perspectiveless douches actually believe that sort of thing.

however politicians can really fug things up regardless of intent, and it appears we're somewhere close to that with gettleman. some of you seem to have forgotten how the norman deal went down. gettleman established an offer. norman wanted about 4m more, told his cuzzo to cramp dave for the best deal possible and then sign it. dave said get outta town and josh did. this is because gettleman banked on the defensive line as a whole being more important than a single defensive back.

which it is.

gettleman's mistake wasn't in not paying josh norman 13 or 14 or 16 million bucks, which in retrospect looks like a bargain to fix this train wreck of a season. his mistake was in (1) misjudging the ability of the defensive line, from kony's development to the continuity of star/short's success, and (2) assuming his backfield could pick up where the last one left off. bradberry is awesome, but he's been injured. not dave's fault. bene is gone because apparently he had concerns that weren't taken into consideration. dave's fault. tillman, allen, harper, and cotchery all retiring in one season - not dave's fault. not choosing veteran leaders to replace at least one or two of them - definitely dave's fault.

dave gettleman is not rebuilding this team. dave gettleman is not a bad GM. but this season dave gettleman painted himself into a corner and he doesn't look like a good GM. and he's riding his decision out this season, it appears. maybe leonard johnson is the hero we need. maybe we go 5-11. the jury's out.

but dave gettleman is not rebuilding this team.

He sure isnt he kept tolbert, remmers, and teddy williams..no he just toatally f - up. 

7 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

And i've been accused of pulling negatives out of what we know in Gettleman's treatment of players, that some claim arent really there.  But, this is coming from Beason himself

There are plenty of players who had a lot of good things to say about Gettleman as well. I can't say how the Beason-Gettlemen relationship was because I wasn't there, but Beason was a liability his last year here (Seattle targeted him and Buffalo did) it was not surprising when the team got better when Blackburn/Klein were inserted. 

Even Hurney drafted a MLB high because Achilles injuries are not easy to return from.

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

He stopped negotiating with Josh even when Josh agreed to fire his agent, play for the tag or take less money. He wanted to be a Panther and Gettleman decided to show everyone how tough he was by just refusing to go back to the negotiating table more to show everyone he only gives you one chance and he is a tough guy than to make a deal. With KK we are arguing over 2 million a year when we have plenty to pay him. Stewart is the last of those 2011 contracts so they have little to do with why he did what he did . He got the big head and it is biting him in the ass and he deserves every bit of it. Who should he have signed after dumping Norman? What I have said for months, a few veterans corners who would have kept this disaster from happening and made him still look really smart instead of clueless.

The agent is a extension of the player.Norman taking less money?

giphy.gif

If he wanted to be a Panther why not sign the tag before everything broke down and continue to negotiate in good faith?

What veteran corners are you referring to?

I've said it before if you blame Gettleman for anything this off season it should be for believing in his guys too much.

Ealy coming off a great super bowl, CJ coming off a good playoff run, Funchess off a solid rookie year, KK off a all pro year etc. He kept most of the SB team intact, they have just regressed.

3 hours ago, Navy_football said:

Honestly, if we keep Josh and bring in Weddle, this team is likely undefeated right now. 

Or if you wanted to go offense, then give me a Fleener and a Russell Okung and this offense is dropping 40+ a game. 

Did Weedle have interest here?

If you keep norman you can't get okung/fleener if you could would you let kk/turner go?

44 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Luke already has his long-term deal too.  The best two young players on both sides of the ball are locked up long-term.

Who are these players we're saving money for? Short is costing himself money every time he steps foot on the field this season. Norwell and Turner are the only two young guys on the roster with upcoming deals that I really, really want to keep. I'll add KB into that mix too, but we still have him under contract for two more seasons with the 1st round 5th year option. Who else is there?

Everyone talks about all these upcoming contracts we have and it doesn't seem to sink in that we don't have all that much young talent that we desperately need to get signed.  We have at most three guys (Short, Norwell, and Turner) who are priorities to get re-signed within the next two seasons.

Luke is still on his 5th year option this year, so while he has his long term deal, the true contract value doesn't kick in until next year when it more then doubles (Olsen's contract does the same next year while almost everyone else's is negligible).  One would assume the money is saved for Short, Turner, and Norwell (maybe Star).  We need to reset our expensive contracts with our young core players while keeping the older players, who were the core and currently have expensive contracts, phase out.

13 hours ago, pantherphan96 said:

if DG spends big $$ last offseason we have a much better chance of winning quickly but a much shorter window of opportunity considering that we would have to let go of KK, Trai/Norwell, etc in FA.

That's actually not at all true. Signing a bunch of vets to 1 year contracts, as usual, would be off the books by next year when those contracts are needed. Instead we just have 20 million just sitting there being unused.

10 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

There are seriously still people defending GM for handling the offseason and Norman?  Sigh..... he's not saving YOU money lol unless of course you decided not to buy tickets because we're so bad

He's saving 'his' team's money for future moves.

23 minutes ago, carolinajay said:

If you keep norman you can't get okung/fleener if you could would you let kk/turner go?

This is PURE speculation on your part to save Dave-face. With the rising cap and some good contract structuring, we may have kept everyone. It's not like Okung, Weddle or Fleener broke the bank. Furthermore, one-year contracts can do wonders.

13 hours ago, pantherphan96 said:

lmao KK is getting doubled on almost every damn play because teams know our DE's aren't getting pressure or forcing the QB to step up and the secondary's coverage is letting the QB get rid of the ball before the DE's have a chance to get a sack.

as long as we have franchise cornerstones like Cam and Luke this team will have a chance to win. i would rather be patient and trust the process than blow it all up now because of some bad breaks.

also, even if we keep Norman this team has a very real issue at OT, DE, and S. who could we have gotten? how would it affect extensions like KK, Star etc? its not as simple as everyone is trying to make it out to be.

You keep Josh draft bradberry, draft a DE, OT, FA get a veteran to replace harper or mid tier CB or SS...we wasted picks on CBs we should have been adressing weaknesses. Not saying that who we drafted may not be a bust, but at least there would be something to work with.  There was a better way to plan for the future...he dropped the ball.

10 minutes ago, top dawg said:

This is PURE speculation on your part to save Dave-face. With the rising cap and some good contract structuring, we may have kept everyone. It's not like Okung, Weddle or Fleener broke the bank. Furthermore, one-year contracts can do wonders.

Dave Gettleman is the GM of the panthers.  He knows more about his team's cap situation than any reporter or fan so i'm going to defer to the professional.

If he lets guys like Turner and KK and Norwell walk then his entire philosophy of 'we're not in the business of developing players for other teams' is complete hogwash and I will then have both feet on the fire Gettleman barge.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

This, some aren't realizing DG is getting close to,if he's not already,to putting his foot in his mouth, a lot of things he's stated in press conferences he's either not done or doing things he said he wouldn't......

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

46 minutes ago, carolinajay said:

If this team pays Weddle what he's looking for, there is no way he doesn't come here. With Keek and Norman and Davis, Weddle could have been on a historic defense with a real chance to win a super bowl. 

My thought was Norman and Weddle to make the defense very dangerous, or

Russell and Fleener to make the offense unstoppable, or

Move things around and get a combination of these options. 

I just believe that if you're close to a super bowl, then you go all out. Even if it's only one year, you go all out.

A super bowl or two is definitely worth 4 or 5 seasons of 6-7 wins.

9 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

A super bowl or two is definitely worth 4 or 5 seasons of 6-7 wins.

I agree. I would gladly accept a couple of bad seasons for a Super Bowl win.

Weedle would have been a great and he has ties to Ron. But the panthers were not working with a ton of cap if you include the tag.

Archived