• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How good have Gettleman's drafts been?

MVPccaffrey

42 minutes ago, top dawg said:

This is cherry-Getty-picking.  There are so many other things that a GM can and should be judged by that you just can't take a swath of information, place it over the front of a looking glass, and then proceed to say that this man is great because you're viewing something that you or others might consider positive on the surface.

Drafting is but a piece of the puzzle, and while it's great to get quality players, you also have to judge the misses, or the opportunities that were lost, not only within the draft, but also free agency. Regarding the draft, you must also be aware of the price that's spent to acquire a player, relative to the spot where he was drafted.

We've lost several draft picks by moving up to get players that we may have realistically acquired later if we had held our position.  We've also just lost out by not drafting people we should have drafted because we drafted someone else.

Even within the draft, unto itself, I don't think that a person just being a starter or perceived good depth on your team is an adequate enough litmus test to draw a conclusion that a draft was successful. The more pertinent point---or question, that you should ask yourself is whether or not this person would be a starter (or higher ranked depth) on most teams, especially the ones that always seem to be in contention every year (with perhaps a little drop-off, if any).

I mean, there are so many things to consider, that your contention is someone skewed.

Nice speech.

It means nothing in regards to the amount of players GMan has drafted who are still in the league.

Coulda, shoulda, who the heck cares. We are not talking about any of that. You are trying way to hard to quantify something that makes Gman look good.

Show me any other GM that can come close to 20 of 21 picks still being in the league.

So this is what the Huddle has come to. People poo pooing Gman's draft history? Is the hate for the man that strong, that even the good things are swept under the mat?

1 hour ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

i think even the most basic fan can acknowledge dg is a good drafter,but he has other flaws such as negotiations, fa spending, addressing needs, and having a backup plan are set in place.

He is good at evaluating talent. He is not good at utilizing the draft to stock a roster. When he learns how to trade, maintain, and create value with the draft, then we can revisit this argument.

3 picks in Funchess, 3 picks in Williams, 2 picks in Worley, and 2 picks in Bene.

Who needs picks to build a roster? Just sign them off the street.

22 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Nice speech.

It means nothing in regards to the amount of players GMan has drafted who are still in the league.

Coulda, shoulda, who the heck cares. We are not talking about any of that. You are trying way to hard to quantify something that makes Gman look good.

Show me any other GM that can come close to 20 of 21 picks still being in the league.

So this is what the Huddle has come to. People poo pooing Gman's draft history? Is the hate for the man that strong, that even the good things are swept under the mat?

First of all, I don't hate Gettleman, I don't think he should be fired, but I also don't slurp his sack. Secondly, I am not "poo pooing" anything, just stating what should be obvious to anyone who isn't interested in slight of hand to raise the man to football god-like status.  

So...the simple concept of 20 of 21 draft picks still in the league is just too complex? Woah, who knew.

We are not talking Pro Bowls

We are not talking GM geniuses

We are not talking GM love/hate

We are not talking starters

We are not talking about anything other than the number of players Gman has drafted, who are still in the league.

Spin, poo poo, make-up goofy scenarios, or just plain ol'  make excuses. I don't care. The numbers speak for themselves. If you do not wish to accept them? That is on you.

Show me another Gm that is even close. It is an amazing run of draft picking. The failure to admit the man can draft, is a personal one, not a factual one.

Man, this was fun. Reminds me of the old "How many draft picks did Otah actually cost us" thread in the old CO forum.

Draft grade for value: A

Draft grade for overall impact (considering both value and need): B-

The real issues with Gettleman so far, our last two 1st rounders have been at position where we were already stacked with talent and they wouldn't see much playing time. They didn't want to get away from BPA, which is somewhat understandable.

The biggest issue is that 2 of 4 seasons we've brought in impact players via free agency to supplement the draft and in those years we went 27-5. Then, following those seasons we appeared to become complacent, doing very little in free agency, and went 9-13-1.

The first time, in 2014, I gave Gettleman a pass because we were cap hell and had little money to spend in free agency (thanks Hurney). This time there's no excuse.

I feel you need to add UDFAs to any draft talks. Dave, coaches and scouts have added at least 2 players each year. That's some of the cheapest labor you can find.

2013- Melvin white- around 12 starts over two years. Robert Lester- 4starts and lots of ST snaps

2014- Philly brown- panthers' 3/4 WR and #2 in 2015. Andrew norwell- beast at OG

2015 Dean Marlow- red-shirt last yr injured this. Reports where he was even with Boston in TC. Brandon Weager- red-shirt then waived

2016- Jeremy cash- currently in red-shirt process, but could change given shaq injury. Bud Norris giving ST snaps on the reg.

Now some are no longer panthers, but they still gave the panthers something for "nothing". In four years Dave found more 4x UDFAs than hurney did in 10 years. (Hoooover and Fred lane where the only ones worth mentioning)

Lasting Dave's practice squads are also 10x better than years before. Sure UDFAs and practice squads are not hot topics, but in making COMPETE teams it is very important. If hurney was still around once oher got injured, matt Fing wlling would be playing LT..... 

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

Just about all of them.

Belichick has 44 players he has drafted that are still active in the league. Why do you think so many players on his roster have been acquired with draft picks through trades?

Hurney has been out of the league for 4 years and he has 18 active players in the NFL - the same as Gettleman.

Hurney had 29 active players in 2015. It will take Gettleman 3 more drafts at his current rate to get 29 active players in the NFL if all of his current active players remain in the NFL after 3 more seasons.

Schneider from Seattle has 38. 

4 minutes ago, R0CKnR0LLA said:

Draft grade for value: A

Draft grade for overall impact (considering both value and need): B-

The real issues with Gettleman so far, our last two 1st rounders have been at position where we were already stacked with talent and they wouldn't see much playing time. They didn't want to get away from BPA, which is somewhat understandable.

The biggest issue is that 2 of 4 seasons we've brought in impact players via free agency to supplement the draft and in those years we went 27-5. Then, following those seasons we appeared to become complacent, doing very little in free agency, and went 9-13-1.

The first time, in 2014, I gave Gettleman a pass because we were cap hell and had little money to spend in free agency (thanks Hurney). This time there's no excuse.

I was hoping for an upgrade at DE this off-season. But that was when I thought we were going to keep Josh. By the time we lost Josh, it was really too late to grab a decent CB, or anything for that matter.

I knew we were going to play some kids this year. So I wanted a decent DE to help with the pass rush. I was hoping for Delaire to step up, or Cox as well. One, or both, of those kids show up, we would be in good shape right now at DE. I mean, who didn't expect Ealy to continue his SuperB owl play?

The CB position is a mess. BUT, if Bradberry can get back soon, with Worley improving, and LJ off to a solid start, it can improve in a hurry.

I still see a bright future.

Dave's drafts have been ok, if you include UDFAs then they're upgraded to good.  Judging drafts by number of "starters" is shallow minded.  Boston is a starter for us, doesn't mean he should be.  Same thing with a number of players.  We've gotten four really good players (Star, Short, KB and Turner), some solid players (Shaq, Klein, Philly, Ealy) and some players that still need to prove themselves (this year's rookies, Funchess, Boston, some others I'm sure I'm forgetting).  He's done a great job bargain hunting to get us out of the mess Hurney left us in but this year he dun f'd up.  His patch job at OT has been unacceptable and the DB situation he has us in is downright ludicrous. 

5 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Just about all of them.

Belichick has 44 players he has drafted that are still active in the league. Why do you think so many players on his roster have been acquired with draft picks through trades?

Hurney has been out of the league for 4 years and he has 18 active players in the NFL - the same as Gettleman.

Hurney had 29 active players in 2015. It will take Gettleman 3 more drafts at his current rate to get 29 active players in the NFL if all of his current active players remain in the NFL after 3 more seasons.

Schneider from Seattle has 38. 

If Gman continues to draft as he has, he will reach those numbers as well. I mean, c'mon man. You have all those numbers. How about you do their first 4 drafts? Let's compare apples to apples. mkay?

You name all these guys with years and years of drafts. So of course they have more players hanging around. That really doesn't seem like a fair argument to me. But hey, if that's how you play, have at it.

3 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

If Gman continues to draft as he has, he will reach those numbers as well. I mean, c'mon man. You have all those numbers. How about you do their first 4 drafts? Let's compare apples to apples. mkay?

You name all these guys with years and years of drafts. So of course they have more players hanging around. That really doesn't seem like a fair argument to me. But hey, if that's how you play, have at it.

You might not wanna rely on those numbers given that the source has a tendency to make stuff up.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You might not wanna rely on those numbers given that the source has a tendency to make stuff up.

That is why, for the most part, I don't respond to him. This one was easy, so I went for it. Cuz that's how I roll. Life on the edge, that's me.

Archived