• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why we won't draft Offense in 1st Round

Catufb85

1 minute ago, AceBoogie said:

Story of Cam's career

There are no top ten OTs in this draft. There are 2 top ten RBs that would do nothing to help protect cam.  This draft is heavy at DE and Safety which are huge areas of need for us.  

But sure let's reach at #8 to make the fans happy. 

2 hours ago, Catufb85 said:

Although tons of mock drafts have us selecting Fournette or even Dalvin Cook at pick number 8 in next years draft.  With Gettleman's BPA and defensive philosophy I would almost bet we don't go offense in the draft.  Now this is all speculation because we haven't had even the last college game, combine, pro days, etc.  But just thinking of the resumes at hand and with more and more players declaring for the NFL draft with the college season coming to an end, even though I think Fournette or my pick Dalvin Cook at number 8, just doesn't seem like a reality at least to me. Heres why: TOO MUCH defensive talent in a very deep draft.  Top Defensive prospect that will most likely be available at 8

SS Jamal Adams

DE Derek Barnett

SS Malik Hooker (recently declared)

DE Jonathan Allen

S Jabrill Peppers

DE Carl Lawson.

All of these are top defensive prospects at their respective positions who potentially be available at pick 8.  Where as most "experts" or analyst have only 1-2 true offensive players going in top 10.  Other than the QB needy teams that will reach on quarterbacks this year in what one expert calls "the worst quarterback class since 2006" most only value Fournette, Dalvin Cook, Mike Williams, and maybe 1 of the left tackles going in the top 10 offensively.

I personally am on the Dalvin cook train at the moment after watching him in Florida State's bowl game.  But now that Jamal Adams (waiting decision)  and Malik Hooker should be available around 8 or even the monster DE Derek Barnett from UT could potentially be there.  I just see us taking more Defensive approach to this draft like the previous.

my just 2 cents.

Allen is a top 5 lock. I think Adams and Hooker are def top10. Peppers will probably drop unles he wows everyone at the combine. Guys like Foster and Tim Williams could skyrocket into the top 8-10 before long. 

Fournette could really drop to 8. Then you have to question about our receivers: KB, Funchess, and Ginn (FA). Mike Williams could be a name to watch. 

I myself would rather go safety or DE at 8, but there are plenty of offensive names that could be available. Hard to guess at this point. 

46 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Sure hope Cam has an excellent life insurance plan,  because Dave has shown he is ok with putting mediocre talent around him... will draft defense and ask Cam to be Superman once again.

Unfortunately in this draft, there just aren't any players except maybe a RB that will be a huge help to the offense at the 8th pick. Trading down and taking a OT in the 1st then a pure speedster WR, DE, RB and S in the 2nd and 3rd rounds(assuming we add a 2nd or 3rd with a trade down plus Norman comp pick) is something I would get behind, but taking someone on offense at 8 is a bad idea.

Just now, GoobyPls said:

Almost lead the league in sacks, let's draft more pass rushers. LOL

Let's be honest most people in here would change their tune for whoever Gettleman drafts.

That Stat about sacks is a red herring. Our pass rush was NOT good this season.  Quarterbacks had ample time to pick us apart

That Stat about sacks is a red herring. Our pass rush was NOT good this season.  Quarterbacks had ample time to pick us apart

Agree, but for a different reason.

The stat is misleading because we had to bring extra guys to get sacks.

We NEED to get pressure with our front 4. More specifically, from the edge.

Sent from my SM-G930P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

6 minutes ago, lasus83 said:

Agree, but for a different reason.

The stat is misleading because we had to bring extra guys to get sacks.

We NEED to get pressure with our front 4. More specifically, from the edge.

Sent from my SM-G930P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Yeah, that's what I mean. When we were bringing just four, they'd pick us apart.  We'd have to blitz to get any type of pressure and then if the blitz didn't get there, we were in serious trouble.  We need pressure from the edges badly

I actually agree that I think we will draft defense, but I think it has more to do with talent evaluation than it does the available players.  What I mean by this is that Gettleman has a much better eye for picking defensive talent than Offensive talent.  Since 2013, G-man has drafted 9 offensive players and 12 defensive players.  Of those 9 offensive players, 1 has a pro-bowl (Trai Turner last year), of the 12 defensive players 1 has a pro bowl (KK short).  At this point, looks fairly even.  Here's where things get dicey.  Of those 9 Offensive players drafted, 4 are no longer on the team (Kugbila, Barner, Gaffney, and Sandland), while the Defense has only 1 such player like that, and EVEN that guy (Bene Benwikere) was considered a high talent going into this season.  Gettleman currently busts on offensive players 44% of the time while he busts on defensive players 8% of the time.

I think at the end of the day, if I know this, then Gettleman knows this, and especially with the #8 overall pick, you can't afford to bust.  Mark it, Gettleman will be going defense because he's more comfortable evaluating talent for that side of the ball.

51 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

Quite the contrary, if it wasn't for our terrible secondary the pass rush would have looked even better. Teams dink and dunked us to death this season, you can have Lawrence Taylor it still wouldn't matter.

And thiers no such thing as a reach with this offense.

1 hour ago, GoobyPls said:

Almost lead the league in sacks, let's draft more pass rushers. LOL

Let's be honest most people in here would change their tune for whoever Gettleman drafts.

That had a lot to do with blitzing lbs because we couldn't get pressure with the front 4.

Archived