• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ricky Proehl retiring?

SCP

1 hour ago, Devin said:

Good.   It was either that or get fired.  

Remember that whole "we're going to evaluate and make adjustments" thing gettleman was talking about? 

I'm thinking Proehl was about to be under the chopping block because of that evaluation.  

KB and Funchess havent developed ANY since college.   Ginn is one of Cam's favorite weapons because he's a vet that's already been developed.  

Except Ginn wasnt developed before he got here and was a career underachiever.  In fact, Ginn was primarily used only as a returner in the years right before we signed him.  That's one reason why Ricky gets so much credit as a coach.  Ginn even regressed when he went to Arizona after his first year here...  he then returned to form when he came back here.

Ricky cant fix KB and Funch's lack of drive or want to.  Its unfair to expect him to.

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

When Funchess gets out muscled by smaller guys and KB takes off routes....effort can be questioned IMO.  You want those issues reoccur with some coaches who don't put up with it

yea.. these two need to decide if they want to really play football..hell, half the time it seemed KB didnt know where to line up...

5 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

The one coach I still believed in...  this sucks...

And again, Rivera isn't held accountable for horrible coaching/game management, Shula isnt held accountable.  But, Proehl is held accountable because Gettleman drafted two big, lazy, underperforming WRs with inconsistent hands and a lack of desire for the game who were over projected on the depth chart?

Typical.

I still say people are off base calling Funchess lazy. I blame Rivera and the coaches for his woes just as much as anything. We haven't seen him on the field enough yet to be definitive as to why he is underperforming in my estimation. Perhaps new blood, and a new perspective of our HC and OC, will actually facilitate Funchess and company reaching their potential.

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Ricky-Proehl-steps-down-as-wide-receivers-coach/d553e588-35e6-4665-8526-25f12f73d522

Ricky Proehl is stepping away from the Panthers to fulfill a promise to his son, Austin, who just finished his junior season as a wide receiver at the University of North Carolina.

“I always told him when he started at Chapel Hill that if he became a starter or an impact player, that I would walk away to come to all his games,” Proehl explained. “It would really hurt me to not be there for him.

“The first thing kids do is look back for mom and dad. That doesn’t change, no matter how old you are. For the last three years for Austin, I haven’t been there when he’s looked back. He’s got one year left, and I want to be there for him.”

On Monday, Proehl resigned from his post as wide receivers coach for the Panthers after six seasons with the organization.

“It’s extremely hard, because they are also family to me,” Proehl said of the Carolina wideouts. “The thing I preach in our meeting room is family. That’s my teaching style. We’re in this together. We’re selfless, and we all have a common goal.

“There’s not enough time to talk about all the experiences, all the memories and the moments that we’ve shared.”

Proehl wants to share more experiences, memories and moments with his son, so a difficult decision had to be made.

A trip to Charlottesville during the Panthers’ bye week made things clear for Proehl. The Tar Heels battled the Virginia Cavaliers, and Proehl was there to watch his son catch a 46-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter of a North Carolina victory.

“I was on the sidelines, and to see him catch a post for a long touchdown, man, it was just exhilarating,” Proehl said. “I know it meant so much to him for me to be there. I meant so much to me.

“And then there was the Sun Bowl against Stanford, and I wasn’t there. Watching him have a tremendous game and not being there made me realize…”

Proehl wants to be a father first and foremost. But between Austin and his younger son Blake, who is set to become a freshman wide receiver at East Carolina University, Proehl has a pair of pupils eager to learn from dad.

4 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Yes, it's all blame Gettleman... for the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 time.

Benjamin had a killer year in his final season with FSU. The potential is there. That said, it's up to the player and the coach to reach it. I think both were at fault here. 

Well, when you're GM, you are responsible for all acquisitions and departures.  So, when things dont pan out, either bc the coaching isnt there, or the talent or the heart isn't there, it falls at his feet.

Like I said in the post to the other poster re: Ginn...  Explain his improvement here under Proehl and his regression in Arizona.  KB and Funch's issues were evident well before we drafted them and we drafted them anyway.  You cant pin their shortcomings on coaching...  at least not a position coach.

1 hour ago, ickmule said:

I keep telling everyone, this is a .500 club now. The window of opportunity has closed. We had 3 shots at the playoffs with a good club.......expect less and be happy. 

I refuse to believe that, any team with Cam, Luke,TD, and Olsen shouldnt be .500 from here on out. 4 potential HoF. it shows how much coaching is failing us.

10 minutes ago, Devin said:

Understood.  The unfortunate reality is that bad players get coaches fired all the time.   

Yeah, and to your point, i believe your theory is right on as to why Proehl was basically forced to retire.  I just think it is  an unfair evaluation on behalf of our organization.

Archived