• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Superbowl Thread: MY JINX WORKED!!!! BAHAHHAA FAILCONS AND MATTY MELTDOWN!!!!

Saca312

With the Superbowl less than 24 hours away, I thought I'd help begin discussions by doing the honors yet again of making the gameday thread a bit early. To make it up for you guys, I'll add in some of my extra thoughts as well.

Image result for matt ryan tom brady

With the Superbowl coming up in less than 24 hours, millions around the globe will witness the NFL's perpetual "best product" battle it out in Houston. The Falcons and Patriots have survived through the toils and struggles of the regular season, and coasted through the playoffs in dominating fashion. With their offenses flashing out greatness, and defenses just along for the ride, this Superbowl has been hyped up as a high scoring offensive affair.

The Falcons are looking for their first ever Superbowl win in Houston, and to ensure they won't be the last in the NFC South to achieve a Superbowl win. The Patriots are just looking to rub in Goddell's face with Brady's possible 5th ring - enough to cover one hand - and just piss off every fan in the nation with their dominance all these years.

Currently, the Patriots are the favorites to win, but no clear winner can officially be determined with how much uncertainty is involved with both teams. With many crying out the Falcons easy playoff schedule, the Patriots easy division, and defensive questions, there's not much evidence to fully support a team has a clear advantage over the other.

As always, Superbowls don't always go as expected; just take a look at last year when the Panthers got mauled when the Broncos exposed Remmers. The Panthers were the clear favorites, but that was made blatantly obvious that wouldn't happen. Cam Newton - Near unanimous league MVP - looked pedestrian as his RT flopped and turned against the sheer talent of Von Miller.

Also, league MVPs have terrible luck in the Superbowl. Last time a league MVP won a superbowl was Kurt Warner in 1999. That would make it around 17 years since the last MVP winner. This trend does not spell well for Matt Ryan, who was just named NFL MVP. This could prove to be a curse against the Falcons, but GameDay will tell the story.

So, this game theoretically is supposed to be a high scoring affair. 

Whoever scores the most should win.

This phrase applies literally in how the Patriots and Falcons have recently scored high scoring affairs. Their offenses has proven strong in the playoffs. Check out their records and scores this playoff season:

Falcons

1. ATL vs SEA: 36 - 20; 16 point difference
    • Falcons proved themselves as having an offensive juggernaut in this game. Going against a Earl Thomas-less secondary, the Falcons easily ripped through and demolished their opponent
  2. ATL vs GB: 44-21; 23 point difference
    • Falcons proved themselves solid offensively by taking advantage of a ravaged, depleted, and horrid Green Bay defense. They looked near flawless, shutting down the Packers in the first half. Their defense is to be credited as well for doing their part and keeping their offense on the field, although certainly Green Bay took a bad time to look like garbage.
  • Total Point Difference: 39 points
  • Offensive Points Gained Average: 40 Points Gained Per Game
  • Defensive Points Allowed Average: 20.5 Points Allowed Per Game

Patriots

1. NE vs HOU: 34-16; 18 point difference
    • The Patriots certainly had their mistakes, but that's to be expected against a Top 5 defense in the Texans. However, Tom Brady and Scheme soon proved unstoppable, as they feasted on an Osweiler led Texans team and gave them a beating they're sure to remember.
  2. NE vs PIT: 36-17; 19 point differnece
    • The Patriots dominated a Steelers team with a solid underrated defense. Their offense proved inept v.s. the #1 against the score Patriots defense, and the Patriots offense was too much for the Steelers defense
  • Total Point Difference: 37 points
  • Offensive Points Gained Average:  35 Points Gained Per Game
  • Defensive Points Allowed Average: 16.5 Points Allowed Per Game

Total Playoff Point Difference Falcons & PatriotsFalcons +2

Offensive Playoff Points Gained Average Falcons & Patriots: Falcons +5

Defensive Playoff Points Allowed Average Falcons & Patriots: Patriots -4

Before we proclaim one team far more superior than the other, let's add in offensive + defensive strength variables in this equation. I will resource the rankings provided by the NFL when determining strength of opponent for the postseason.

Here's the condensed list based on relevancy to opponents of teams in the superbowl + teams in Superbowl:

Total Defense Ranks:

1.) Texans - Patriots Opponent (AFC Divisional)

3.) Steelers - Patriots Opponent (AFC Championship)

4.) Patriots - Superbowl Team

4.) Seahawks - Falcons Opponent (NFC Divisional)

6.) Falcons - Superbowl Team

12.) Packers - Falcons Opponent (NFC Championship)

Total Offense Ranks:

1.) Falcons - Superbowl Team

3.) Patriots - Superbowl Team

4.) Packers - Falcons Opponent (NFC Championship)

5.) Steelers - Patriots Opponent (AFC Championship)

7.) Seahawks - Falcons Opponent (AFC Championship)

9.) Texans - Patriots Opponent (AFC Divisional)

I will be making a few basic equations when officially determining the final numbers. The following equations are used:

• Offensive Playoffs Points Total: Let y = point penalty final outcome in equation y=x-0.5n, where n equals total defensive ranking of opponentsx = original offensive playoffs points total (superbowl team)
  • Defensive Playoffs Points Allowed Total: Let y = point penalty final outcome in equation y=x+0.5n, where n equals total offense ranking of opponentsx = original defeensive playoffs points allowed total (superbowl team).

So, using such equations, here's what we get:

Falcons

Offensive Playoffs Points Total

y=x-0.5n

y=(40)-0.5(12[GB]+4[SEA])

y=32

Defensive Playoffs Points Total

y=x+0.5n

y=(20.5)+0.5(4[GB]+7[SEA])

y=26;

Falcons Playoff SoS Offensive Playoffs Points Total: 32; -8 point penalty

Falcons Playoff SoS Defensive Playoffs Points Allowed Total: 26; +5.5 penalty

Patriots

Offensive Playoffs Points Total

y=x-0.5n

y=(35)-0.5(1[HOU]+3[PIT])

y=33

Defensive Playoffs Points Total

y=x+0.5n

y=(15.5)+0.5(5[PIT]+9[HOU])

y=22.5

Patriots Playoff SoS Offensive Playoffs Points Total: 32; -2 penalty

Patriots Playoff SoS Defensive Playoffs Points Allowed Total: 22.5; +7 penalty

So, take a look at this:

• Offensive Playoff Points Gained SoS Average Falcons & Patriots: Falcons & Patriots ±0
  • Defensive Playoff Points Allowed SoS Average Falcons & Patriots: Patriots -3.5
  • Total Advantage: Patriots (+3.5; based on absolute value of above values)

Sure, I'm not a statistics/data person, but I have taken Algebra in grade school. Using basic formulas based upon rankings and such, I've determined the Patriots have had more success in the playoffs when considering the strength of schedule for these two teams.

Some interesting findings:

• Even though the Patriots faced easier opponents, they still have an advantage over the Falcons defensively.
  • The Falcons and Patriots offenses are equal in strength through the playoffs. 

So, theoretically the Patriots have a better team in the postseason, while the Falcons have an inferior team. This could play a role.

Prediction:

The Flying Falcons are too good. They're good. I was wrong earlier when I posted gameday threads in the postseason when I said Matty Meltdowns suxs. He doesn't. I regret that statement and will ignore my stat crunching above and say Falcons dominate and wreck 10000000000-0 against the Cheatriots becuz they sux and cheat all the time. Julio Jones is too good and Matt Ryan is MVP they're sooooo good. Lol at my old playoff threads saying they sux boy was I wrong.

*Note: No, I'm not trying to jinx the Falcons, I would never do that. Like what reason should I jinx them for? I only jinxed them before because I was a salty Panthers fan. Now I respect the incredible league MVP Matty Ice. 

Image result for matt ryan dancing

#riseup

Discuss the actual game, commentary, and commodities below:

EDIT: BABHAHAAHHAHAHAHA

JINXED SUCKAS!!!!!

I don't think you guys realize how overrated this NE defense is.  Atlanta ran 27 plays from scrimmage in a row in the NFCCG that were literally completely different.  Imagine what else they have left?  

Atlanta about to lift that Lombardi up, and they will hold it over our heads just as the Saints and Bucs do.

7 minutes ago, Camvp said:

I don't think you guys realize how overrated this NE defense is.  Atlanta ran 27 plays from scrimmage in a row in the NFCCG that were literally completely different.  Imagine what else they have left?  

Stats show otherwise when taking strength of playoff schedule into account with the Patriots having the clear advantage.

Belicheck is a mastermind as well with scheme. He's always got goodies in the Superbowl.

But nevertheless the Falcons are good I mean did u see Julio and Ryan against us before in the first game they're invincible and Matt Ryan is MVP they the best they gonna win.

Archived