• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: Jonathan Stewart Not Expected To Be Released; Hints Of Offense's Future

Saca312

Per David Newton...

http://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/24537/jonathan-stewart-appears-to-be-in-panthers-plans-for-2017

Coach Ron Rivera mentioned Stewart by name last week on ESPN’s NFL Insiders when talking about ways to take the running load off quarterback Cam Newton during the 2017 season.

“The biggest thing, our realization is that our primary runner cannot be our quarterback," Rivera said. “We’re going to look to do a little more backfield sets in terms of two backs and 12 personnel with the extra tight end as the lead blocker.

“We’ve got to get guys like Jonathan Stewart rolling. We’ve got to put it in our backs’ hands and get the ball to our playmakers.”

It seems unlikely Rivera would have mentioned Stewart by name if there were plans to release him as the Panthers did all-time leading rusher DeAngelo Williams after the 2014 season.

So, it is apparent Rivera has no plans on seeing Stewart cut this offseason. Rather, it is most likely that a restructure occurs for Stewart or something happens to ensure he's still with us.

Now, I'd like to note this segment of information:

“The biggest thing, our realization is that our primary runner cannot be our quarterback," Rivera said. “We’re going to look to do a little more backfield sets in terms of two backs and 12 personnel with the extra tight end as the lead blocker.

This could easily mean that runningback and tight end are major targets in the draft. This would make sense if we were to change to such an offensive personality. I would assume that we target a TE with blocking ability and a RB that can impact a game. This would make sense for the evolutionary hints Rivera is talking about.

So, don't expect to see Stewart with another jersey on this offseason. But do expect to hear a TE and RB being called early in the draft.

RB makes a lot of sense for us. A blocking TE that's really good at what he does is damn near essential. I don't want to waste Greg's explosiveness as he gets into the later stages of his career on blocking downs. He's too important to the function of our offense and I dare say the most important TE to his team in all of football after seeing how NE got along without Gronk. 

5 minutes ago, pantherphan96 said:

He might be 30 but he's got much less tread on his tires than most 30 year old RBs. Hopefully he gets more touches this year with less designed QB runs.

He needs a blocking FB or Hback not Tolbert.  That's for sure. 

Stewart behind a good offensive line and good scheme is one of the top running backs in the league. Still have to draft a running back this year in the deep class. We are so much better with a good 1, 2 punch. Plus when Stewart does leave or retire it will be nice to have a young veteran already here 

7 minutes ago, pantherphan96 said:

He might be 30 but he's got much less tread on his tires than most 30 year old RBs. Hopefully he gets more touches this year with less designed QB runs.

I don't buy into the philosophy of a player having less miles on them because of how much time they've missed due to injury. I heard a long, long time ago from a person I trust that Stewart has a degenerative ankle/foot problem that he has battled with his entire career as far back as Oregon. I don't really consider that priviledged information considering the amount of time he's missed for lower leg injuries lately, but it's far from a good thing that he has less carries than most backs his age because he's too hurt to play more often than not. 

Archived