• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cap savings IF we cut Stewart, Gano, and Dickson

panther4life

Stewart = 4.75MM

Gano = 3.1MM

Dickson = 2.05MM

less likely ones but plausible 

Lee = 3.433MM

Oher = 2.5MM

Nobody else really makes sense to move on from. Stewart, Gano and Dickson are really the only contracts where the production doesent live up to the cap hit. 

Id like to see us move on from all 3 personally. 

7 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

I'd like to see Stew's deal restructured - he's still the best pass blocking RB in the league and does so much when healthy -but everyone else - Gano and Dickson - should be out.

Stew might agree to a paycut but a restructure does not make sense because his contract ends next year. Maybe an out right paycut but how much less would he really accept? Right now he's only getting 5.5 in new money vs his 8.250 cap hit(5th highest on the team).

Reality is we have to over pay some people. Personally I'd rather overpay big name talents to secure their services than overpay people past their prime like Stewart. Or mid level scrubs like Soliai who heisted 4 million from us in 1 year where he did nothing. 

5 minutes ago, OldNorthPowell said:

I would cut all of those. Unless Stewart restructures. Stewart stays hurt.

Edit:

I would keep Oher too unless the team feels he will never recover.

Who are we going to get to replace Stewart then? There's no guarantee Fournette will be there at 8  , but I guess there's a number of RBs in the draft. But from my knowledge no one on our roster is the answer at RB and all the college RBs coming out this year its yet to be seen that they will be productive on our team.

If anything I think we need to keep Stewart and release some of the other RBs , to free up a position for a RB we draft in the top 3 rounds but don't have to totally gamble on them being a good feature back.

6 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Who are we going to get to replace Stewart then? There's no guarantee Fournette will be there at 8  , but I guess there's a number of RBs in the draft. But from my knowledge no one on our roster is the answer at RB and all the college RBs coming out this year its yet to be seen that they will be productive on our team.

If anything I think we need to keep Stewart and release some of the other RBs , to free up a position for a RB we draft in the top 3 rounds but don't have to totally gamble on them being a good feature back.

Only 12 backs in the league have cap hits in 2017 totaling more than the 4.75 MM we'd save by cutting him. Right now he's right behind Adrian Peterson and Lesean McCoy for the 3rd highest cap hit by a RB.

His value is no where near that. 

Whether it be the draft or free agency I'm sure we can find a suitable if not upgraded replacement to him at a much better value

Archived