• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can stop the Berry Talks Now

Catufb85

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Probably Hurney style cap management. If you want to get a guy signed, you can almost always pull it off but those chickens come home to roost eventually.

Its got to be because im showing they had about $9 million in cap space, now I expect some cuts but goodness that is gonna crush them in a couple years.

39 minutes ago, Catufb85 said:

Got to add that signing bonus in there too.  Will be closer to $15-16 a year.

$78MM is the total - the bonus does not stack, it is a part of the total $78MM and likely half of the guarantee. Berry's contract averages $13MM per year, which still makes him the highest-paid safety.

1 hour ago, Catufb85 said:

ESPN announces Eric Berry and Cheifs agree to 6 year $78 million contract with $40 guaranteed and $20 million signing bonus.

on to the next one.

Those numbers is why we had next to no chance grabbing him.  

41 minutes ago, Adb6368 said:

Thread titled 'Can stop the Berry talk now'...

Proceeds to talk Berry for 10 pages #huddlelogic

I won't complain as much if it's about Halle Berry.

1 hour ago, R0CKnR0LLA said:

13 a year isnt too bad a contract, especially if a lot of it is backloaded to the final two years

For a damn safety? Way more than I'd pay any safety, and I don't even think he's the best. Earl Thomas maybe since he's like Luke being the QB of a defense, but even $13M/year is too much for the position.

Just now, thomas96 said:

For a damn safety? Way more than I'd pay any safety, and I don't even think he's the best. Earl Thomas maybe since he's like Luke being the QB of a defense, but even $13M/year is too much for the position.

This is the new NFL and why Josh Norman really wasn't crazy wanting 15/16 as a corner.    We are just behind the times in market value as a team most of the time.  

19 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

This is the new NFL and why Josh Norman really wasn't crazy wanting 15/16 as a corner.    We are just behind the times in market value as a team most of the time.  

Josh's role in a defense shouldn't be paid anywhere near that either. A man to man shutdown corner maybe, but still pushing it.

1 minute ago, mjligon said:

Lol no

I'm not saying I wanted to pay him, but obviously, yes, that IS the market.   And 13 mill for Berry shows it.   When we lose Short because we won't pay the market (if we don't), maybe people then will learn.     Not saying we should, one way or the other, but that's how it goes right now.  

6 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Josh's role in a defense shouldn't be paid anywhere near that either. A man to man shutdown corner maybe, but still pushing it.

Should in a fan's opinion on a message board and reality in the NFL are two separate things though.    Obviously reality says, he gets what he thought he should get, because, he did.  

12 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

Should in a fan's opinion on a message board and reality in the NFL are two separate things though.    Obviously reality says, he gets what he thought he should get, because, he did.  

Not really. There are differing views within the league and within the fan base. DG clearly shares mine to some degree. A lot of teams make bad moves where they terribly overpay a player, and honestly the Redskins may end up once again being one of those teams with Josh. Was Josh good last year? Yeah he was solid (Bradberry better by PFF's marks, not a perfect analysis but worth noting) but worth all that money for a zone corner? Doubt it and I bet they cut ties with him before the deal is up.

Archived