• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dontari Poe to ATL....Thoughts??

SetfreexX

15 minutes ago, ARSEN said:

He's very overrated. One domentional at stopping the run and very injury prone with bad back issues.  There is a reason KC let him walk.

Indeed.

Plus, at 346 lbs, he's moving from a 0-tech in a 3-4 to playing (likely) a 1-tech in a 4-3 (I think Grady Jarrett will continue to play the 3-tech for them).

Star plays the 1-tech at 315 lbs and he's a big dude.

Soooooooooooooo... is Poe gonna drop some weight?  Cuz I don't remember huge, fat tubs of goo playing on the DL in those great Seattle defenses.

5 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Really good pick up, instantly becomes their best D-lineman.

The risk/reward/upside is there but way too early to say if this will indeed be the case.  The contract (1 year $8 mil) prove the back concerns are very, very real.

4 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Really good pick up, instantly becomes their best D-lineman.

You must not have watched any Falcon's games last year.

Grady Jarrett is and will still be the Falcons best DT next year.  Jarrett had 3 sacks with 48 tackles last season, Poe had 1.5 and 27.

And if the Falcons hadn't blown their Super Bowl lead (hahaha), Jarrett had a good chance of being Super Bowl MVP (dude had 3 sacks and 5 tackles).

10 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Indeed.

Plus, at 346 lbs, he's moving from a 0-tech in a 3-4 to playing (likely) a 1-tech in a 4-3 (I think Grady Jarrett will continue to play the 3-tech for them).

Star plays the 1-tech at 315 lbs and he's a big dude.

Soooooooooooooo... is Poe gonna drop some weight?  Cuz I don't remember huge, fat tubs of goo playing on the DL in those great Seattle defenses.

I remember a guy who was at least 346 anchoring some really good Panthers defenses.

?m=02&d=20080229&t=2&i=3353279&w=780&fh=

Just now, Promethean Forerunner said:

Oh stop. This is the equivalent of us signing Soliai. A big body who was primarily used for occupying double teams and stopping the run. In our case, Soliai decided to cash in and not show up. 

Poe just had his most unproductive season as a player since his rookie year and needs a lot of pain medication for his back.

Hence why he was signed to a one year deal. It's not like the Falcons are locked into a long-term contract with lots of guaranteed money.

Poe is a shell of his former self. Chiefs fans will tell you he got abused all too often.

He's not the guy he once was, and will not be improving with the Falcons. He's basically another dud DT at this point who's just a big lump of weight. As another huddler said; the equivalent of us signing Soliai.

Overrated dude, and won't be much of a factor for us. Jarrett is a far better DT than him, which is kind of sad.

3 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Poe is a shell of his former self. Chiefs fans will tell you he got abused all too often.

He's not the guy he once was, and will not be improving with the Falcons. He's basically another dud DT at this point who's just a big lump of weight. As another huddler said; the equivalent of us signing Soliai.

Overrated dude, and won't be much of a factor for us. Jarrett is a far better DT than him, which is kind of sad.

Not sure why that's sad. Jarrett looks pretty promising. In reality, they play two different positions kind of like Star and KK. This signing is probably primarily about trying to get Jarrett more one on one opportunities.

I don't expect Poe to go into Atlanta and be a prime Kris Jenkins, but it's a signing that addresses a weakness and doesn't have any long-term cap implications.

It's worth a roll of the dice. Kind of like our signing of Matt Kalil.

Anyone who is discounting this signing, and praising the Matt Kalil signing is being hypocritical.

Kalil and Poe were the same draft class. Both were first round draft picks (one in the top five, the other #11). Both have had "injury issues" and both have "been a shell of themselves ". Both had their teams let them walk for nothing (except now probably a 3rd or 4th round pick of the Vikings and KC)

Atlanta basically just signed the exact type of player (low risk, high reward) that we did...except we are banking on Matt to protect our franchise player. I hate Atlanta, but I'm not delusional enough to think this isn't a good signing for them.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Archived