• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera And Brandon Beane At Stanford To See Christian McCaffrey And Solomon Thomas

bobsfoodbasics

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Fournette wouldn't be a back up for long. Stew would get dinged up per usual.

Hell, it wouldn't shock me if Dave made Stew cap casualty if he drafted Fournette. Especially if we needed to free up some cash to get some guys like Norwell or Turner or maybe even Short signed long-term.

Nah, Fournette wouldn't be the starter. Dave learned quite a bit about starting rookies last year with cornerback. Plus Fournette is not a good blocker and would need time to.learn our complex running scheme. Honestly I doubt we draft him even if available. I think the emphasis of the evolution is on the passing game not running game and Fournette is one dimensional. He is a great runner but that is all he is 

RB is probably the easiest position to make the transition from college to pro. Can't really compare young CBs struggling to a rookie RB a struggling. The last two drafts have both featured RBs who went well over 1000 yards as rookies. In fact, the two leading rushers in the NFL last season were both rookies.

4 minutes ago, steven8989 said:

Why would Rivera and the guys have a meeting with Thomas tonight if there is probably no chance he makes it that far down and not meet with McCaffrey who they might have a chance at drafting. Does that mean we will not be trying to draft him?

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

They could meet with McCaffrey anytime between now and the week of the draft. Likely will bring him to Charlotte for a private visit, or maybe meet him tomorrow. Two guys at the same school that they're showing a high level of interest in. 

6 hours ago, AndrewLaskoski said:

Wouldn't they have brought along Skipper or Taylor if they were scouting in McCaffrey?

I have a feeling this is a visit for Solomon Thomas because of the organization members there and the Panthers have plenty of background info from Taylor. Who for those who didn't know was McCaffreys position coach until this season.

exactly

The more you see of Solomon Thomas, the more you dream about him suiting up for us.  He's  HUGE dude.  He could really help set things up for our Defense for a long time, and he'd be a great pick.

But there's a part of me that's just in love with McCaffrey. He moves so well.  He catches so well.  He's a ridiculous athlete. Gettleman said we need guys who can score TDs, and McCaffrey can from the RB, WR, and returner positions.  

Oh those hips =P

6 hours ago, AndrewLaskoski said:

Wouldn't they have brought along Skipper or Taylor if they were scouting in McCaffrey?

I have a feeling this is a visit for Solomon Thomas because of the organization members there and the Panthers have plenty of background info from Taylor. Who for those who didn't know was McCaffreys position coach until this season.

The "It's a smokescreen!" crowd will probably claim that we specifically didn't bring Skipper along because we were actually there to scout McCaffrey but brought along all the defensive guys because we wanted people to think we were there to scout Thomas.

DR-evil-1e64c6w.jpg

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If you want a player and he's there at #8, you take him and don't try to get cute.

Totally agree. Maybe I don't get the draft lingo. But I heard somebody say they would rather us trade back and get McCafferery at 12, that would make them feel better. What's the difference in getting a guy you believe in at 8 or 12.

35 minutes ago, steven8989 said:

Why would Rivera and the guys have a meeting with Thomas tonight if there is probably no chance he makes it that far down and not meet with McCaffrey who they might have a chance at drafting. Does that mean we will not be trying to draft him?

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Never know how the draft will go. After Cleveland takes Garrett #1, the draft becomes a crap shoot. There's always a chance that a guy will fall a lot further than anyone expects. That's how we ended up with Star at #14.

Just now, CarolinaJami' said:

Totally agree. Maybe I don't get the draft lingo. But I heard somebody say they would rather us trade back and get McCafferery at 12, that would make them feel better. What's the difference in getting a guy you believe in at 8 or 12.

People have this obsession with "value" in the draft. The bottom line is that if you get the guy you want, then you got your value. If you get a great player, you got great value. Every draft class in history and every draft class in the future would look A LOT different if you ran it back a few years later. "Winning" on draft day doesn't mean poo. 

Archived