• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"McCaffrey can't run in between the Tackles"

Jaxel

2 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Well shoot, if Mike Holiday says he cant run between the tackles then he cant.  Dang it.

It's not about being able to run in the tackles or not. I'm not arguing that. Guys built like him tend to be injury prone getting high carry amount between the tackles in the NFL. I don't see how you can argue against that in good faith. 

If we are going to draft him, we can't just use him as a battering ram between the tackles. Let's not try to act like he wasn't gimpy for much of 2016. Why did he miss the bowl game again

5 minutes ago, mikeholiday said:

It's not about being able to run in the tackles or not. I'm not arguing that. Guys built like him tend to be injury prone getting high carry amount between the tackles in the NFL. I don't see how you can argue against that in good faith. 

Honestly I have come to believe that McCaffreys style will help him avoid injuries.  Fornettes style is awesome but he is going to take a ton of punishment.  I agree though smaller backs arent ideal for heavy workload.  We do have Stewie for that.

Just now, Shocker said:

Honestly I have come to believe that McCaffreys style will help him avoid injuries.  Fornettes style is awesome but he is going to take a ton of punishment.  I agree though smaller backs arent ideal for heavy workload.  We do have Stewie for that.

I think McCaffrey would great at wr. His short area quickness is out of the world and with even halfway decent route running he will be able to easily separate in the NFL. I think it's a better position for him. Get him out in space and doing what he does best. 

Just now, mikeholiday said:

I think McCaffrey would great at wr. His short area quickness is out of the world and with even halfway decent route running he will be able to easily separate in the NFL. I think it's a better position for him. Get him out in space and doing what he does best. 

On that we totally agree.  He is lethal on returns as well.  

4 minutes ago, Shocker said:

On that we totally agree.  He is lethal on returns as well.  

I just think it would a mistake to draft him in the first and run him into the ground. I don't think he is a bad prospect at all. Easily a first rounder, He has great vision and is slippery in space. I just have seen too many guys with his build struggle as bell cow running backs. 

I have been trying to warm myself up to the thought of McCaff at #8.  Daniel Jeremiah's comparison of Leveon Bell intrigued me, and you can sort of see the comparison after that.  Sort of "dances" behind the blocks waiting to burst thru the hole.  

I wouldn't be mad...He's a game changer.  Fumble rate is off the charts.  I feel like teams would have to game plan around him...and that's all we can ask for at #8.  Def or Off....get a game changer at #8 and McCaff is definitely growing on me.

How about McCaff at 8...Perine at 98?  

4 minutes ago, mikeholiday said:

I just think it would a mistake to draft him in the first and run him into the ground. I don't think he is a bad prospect at all. Easily a first rounder, He has great vision and is slippery in space. I just have seen too many guys with his build struggle as bell cow running backs. 

I wont deny that this is not a 25+ carry smashmouth runner.  NFL is kinda going away from that now.  He had a ton of touches at Stanford but he wont be called upon that much in the league IMO.

He's tougher than some people think.  Yes, he can run between the tackles, and he will in the NFL.  You just don't want that to be his primary use.  He's too talented in space to limit him to primarily inside runs. 

As for those saying he was untouched in most of that video, he used his patience, vision, and shiftiness in traffic to explode through the hole to make it look that way.  But a lot of those holes were not there until a few moments after the play started.  however, if you want to see more of how he handles inside contact, go look at his game tapes on draftbreakdown.  Yes, you'll see him tackled for no gain or a loss on occasion, just like every other back in the history of the NFL, but far more often, you'll see him get the tough yards, and occasionally break through tackles for big plays. 

As for size, he's almost the exact same size as LeSean McCoy (as just one example), and he has more then produced at a top 10 level.  It's not about the size, it's about the talent.  If a guy has the talent to be a star, he'll justify a top 10 pick, regardless of his size (which isn't near as bad as some think it is).

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

In the seasons he stayed healthy, his production was pretty close to being worthy of a top pick. He only played 14+ games five times and in four of those seasons he had 1200+ yards from scrimmage. If he'd had ten seasons able to play 14+ games, he would've put together a damn fine career. Like Stew, he just stayed injured too much.

Reggie Bush is one of, if not the most hyped player I have witnessed coming out of college.

Unfortunately, because his ability was grossly exaggerated, even with solid production during some years (particularly as a receiver), he is one of the biggest busts of all time.

The thing with Bush is that he isn't one of those busts that got hurt and then flaked out of the league like Akili Smith. Bush has been in the league for 11 years and has been consistently underwhelming.

But yeah...if he was drafted in the 2nd round or something, maybe I would give him a pass: but he was drafted #2 overall, and the Texans were laughed at for taking Mario Williams at the time, who has been a much better pro, with multiple dominant seasons.

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

Barry Sanders was 5'8 200.  He did ok.

You know what..that comparison is actually very spot on. McCaffrey is a bit bigger, but he has that shiftyness and patience that Sanders had. Dare I say a little more polished. Barry Sanders quit to early in my opinion though. I love to watch him play when I was a kid. 

19 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

You know what..that comparison is actually very spot on. McCaffrey is a bit bigger, but he has that shiftyness and patience that Sanders had. Dare I say a little more polished. Barry Sanders quit to early in my opinion though. I love to watch him play when I was a kid. 

Wtf..

You ppl need to stop this going overboard poo...

1st Fournette is Bo Jackson

Now this poo..

Just stop ...

Archived