• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Draft Rumor: Scout Insider Says Carolina Likely To Pull Trigger If Fournette Falls To #6; Other Draft Rumors

Saca312

First off, you probably won't know who this source is. I didn't even know, until I came across a comment on the NFL_Draft reddit that recommended this guy as a possible insider. The reason he's not well known is his dislike of anything "click-baity" or "mainstream." Nevertheless, I did my due diligence of comparing his comments to what the Panthers are leaning towards, and it looks like he is completely legit.

I'll explain why.

As everyone knows, @Jeremy Igo is fervent in his belief the Panthers are in love with Fournette. His comments have solidified that he may be one of our top prospects on our board, and that we may go hard for him.

Then, I see some of these tweets:

Considering this, I realized that this gem I recently found may be of actual substance and truth. With Gettleman possible "uncomfortable" with pick number 8, I'm sure he may be antsy to look for a trade up based on these comments. Even so, once I looked up the source of this supposed rumor snatcher, I realized he has been doing this for years and has gained some accurate information.

So, I believe this guy has some true gems to his information. 

What exactly is one of his claims? Well, take a look:

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=551576

Jets are talking with both Cincy & Carolina, as they are trying to jockey to get Fournette, but Jets want Mahomes & not at 8 or 9, so they are looking to move further down. Both Cincy & Carolina are offering a one, two & another choice.

This validates what Igo was insinuating with Getteman's "laugh" when he has received trade offers.  

What is interesting is how interested the Bengals are with Fournette. It will be something to watch on draft night, as they could attempt to leapfrog us for Fournette.

He then has another post, reiterating our interest in that possible trade:

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=551640

I still say Cincinnati or Carolina will pull the early trigger to entice the Jets if Fournette is on board at #6. Jets really want Conley & feel they can move down into the teens & snatch him. The drawback there is that Jacksonville has interest in Fournette. The Jets continue to feed rumors of a possible Trubisky pick-up, if he's there, but word I have inside is that defense is a priority first and that the team thinks it could trade down once or twice and still find Patrick Mahomes available.

The real surprise is how interested the Jets are with Mahomes. Could be one of the surprise picks of the draft. 

Nevertheless, Jacksonville will continue to be an issue with their interest, so it's no wonder Igo has predicted that we may go as far as the #3 pick to attain Fournette.

Those really are the only nuggets concerning the Panthers, but the rest of the stuff is interesting as well. I'll post them here, and let you all sift through it and comment on whatever perks your ears:

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=551576

Hey folks, an old timer checking in. I will fill all in later next week what I've been up to. While The NFL Draft Report will not be published for the first time in 50 years, I've been busy working with several teams on the veteran free agent market and select 2017 draft reports. But, my main emphasis this spring has been to scout the 2018 talent, as my wife's death knocked me out of the loop this year.

Well, on the road at spring scrimmages, I get a lot of "how the hell are you" comments, but these scouts will never work for the CIA (can't keep secrets). Still, I find most scouts spot-on when discussing their tales of woe on the road. This week, here are a few diddys I picked up;

Can't say who, but I spoke with my guy at the Pack. Said they actually liked Washington's Sidney Jones' (injury places him more in the third round) partner, Kevin King, much better, even before the injury. King actually placed behind Conley & Humphrey (ugh) on their board. They are also looking hard at big running backs. If they opt to go for one in the second round, don't believe the hype on Alvin Kamara - it's D'Onta Foreman that captures their attention. And, if Prince Charming was picking for Green Bay, even Ray Charles could see the obvious fix at guard for them lives in Utah. No, not Mr. Bolles, but the guy who made the left tackle look good all year - strong-side guard Ike Asiata no later than Round Three.

PS- you know there are going to be lots of top 10 changes.

Jets are talking with both Cincy & Carolina, as they are trying to jockey to get Fournette, but Jets want Mahomes & not at 8 or 9, so they are looking to move further down. Both Cincy & Carolina are offering a one, two & another choice. Watch out for Cleveland, as they spent a lot of time on the horn with San Fran, who are looking to stockpile picks & Browns have a load of 2s. If they go ahead and get extra picks, David Harris might be gone, as they appear to have an Ohio State love fest in recent years and their MLB Raekwon McMillian could slide to the third round, but start immediately next to Darron Lee. I'm also hearing to not "drink the bug juice" on Wesley Johnson as their answer at center. Both Ethan Pocic and Pat Elflein are getting round 2/3 attention from Gang Green.

Also, word on Davin Cook - outside of Philly, all teams have kicked him out of round one due to his entourage & get this, look for Mixon in San Fran late 1/early 2.

Pitt is really kicking up the volume on Jabrill Peppers & have Quincy Wilson & Jarrad Davis also as their round one guys if Peppers is gone (should still be there), but all the visits to Youngstown State make Derek Rivers more & more their round 2 edge rusher.However, Big Ben might deny he requested another tight end, but Ashland's Adam Sheehan is the guy that Roethlisberger really wants, but he won't last until the Steelers pick in Round Three. THat round might be reserved for a big corner like Rasul Douglas or Corn Elder, as the Steelers need to get more physical in the secondary.

All the talk about the Giants looking to bring in a QB early are not rumors & they are amping up on Davis Webb analysis for the second round. They really like Cam Robinson in round one, but when San Fran finishes moving around the board, gut says they pop on him before Big Blue gets the chance.No worries actually - while teams are projecting him inside, Forrest Lamp might be a much better fit for the Giants at left tackle (think Brian Buluga here). 
As much as they need a linebacker, they seem lukewarm on Zach Cunningham and they guy that makes the most sense, Hasaan Reddick, is targeted in the pick 12-20 range.There's talk they could opt for Malik McDowell, but lots of teams feel he'll slip out of the first round (motor, high stance, poor recovery issues). 
Dion Dawkins and Derek Rivers are in play for the Giants in round two, but TJ Watt (if he does not end up in Green Bay in one of Chargers in 2) and DeMarcus Walker are also very high on their board during Day Two. Still, why do I keep seeing them grabbing Tyson Bowser evaluations? Also, they seem to be making their rounds back to Villanova, but if they want Tanoh Kpassagken, they might have to pop on him in the second, as he won't make it far into the third round.And do not discount Alabama's Dalvin Tomlinson, my top-rated under tackle as a round two candidate, as Robert Thomas is not the answer at DT alongside Big Snacks.

So, some quick nuggets:

• Dalvin Cook is scratched off as a first rounder
  • Giants interested in a QB
  • Packers like D'onta Foreman

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=551640

Hey Guys, my scouting connections seem to be doing the Santa Claus-checking lists twice event. From talking with them while they made their reports requests, here is some of the scout chatter I was filled in on. 

Of course, it will be the GM and head coach making draft decisions, but those out in the field have equally important views. Whether I agree with the chatter or not, "don't shoot the piano player" here, cool? Still, I've been doing this since 1968 & I know when a scout is pulling my chain or not (hey, got ten grand kids under age eight - hard to fool this old dog). 

So, after deciphering the talk from yesterday & recognizing the reports they have requested (for the NFL teams, my reports on each player average over 100 pages each), I could be under the Abe Lincoln effect (fool me once, shame on...) but do value my sources as being legit when they say the following;

Got a crazy one from the Broncos themselves that the Packers did a lot of homework on Jordan Willis & Dion Dawkins the last week. Dawkins told them that it was as a guard, while the Broncos still consider him a tackle. Falcons are making calls trying to get into the 15-20 range, thinking the Giants want Willis & the Birds want to team him with Beasley. While Dawkins could be a nice fit for Green Bay's woes at guard, I keep seeing them out West, where Utah's Isaac Asiata is getting lots of Day Two attention from the Cheeseheads.

I still say Cincinnati or Carolina will pull the early trigger to entice the Jets if Fournette is on board at #6. Jets really want Conley & feel they can move down into the teens & snatch him. The drawback there is that Jacksonville has interest in Fournette. The Jets continue to feed rumors of a possible Trubisky pick-up, if he's there, but word I have inside is that defense is a priority first and that the team thinks it could trade down once or twice and still find Patrick Mahomes available. Logic says, tank the season and get your franchise QB in 2018's draft.

The San Francisco talks of trading the #2 pick to Cleveland for three choices in the first 100 won't subside either, with the Browns giving up #12 in the package with a second and another pick. That way, Garrett-Trubisky go 1-2 to the dog pound.

The Chargers look like they will rectify passing on Jalen Ramsey last year and take my top-rated player, Jamal Adams, to lead their secondary for the next decade.They will have to hold their breath on draft day, as both Chicago and Tennessee are both strongly considering Adams for future employment.The recent cutting of Jason McCourty also has the Titans considering a trio of Buckeyes for their secondary - Conley, Malik Hooker and Marshon Lattimore.

Meanwhile, the Cardinals continue to examine the benefits that Clemson's Mike Williams offers at 4.6 speed to those that currently injured Western Michigan star, Corey Davis, has to offer. With John Brown dealing with a sickle cell issue and Larry Fitzgerald having more great days behind him than ahead, the Cards need to determine if they go for an immediate band aid for the receiving corps or bank on the future by taking a quarterback in Round One (Mahomes).

Johnny-come-latelys in the coaching industry have seen a lot of running back coaches put off by Christian McCaffrey's decision to refuse private workouts. Hey coaches, even Ray Charles can see what he does, if you pop a tape into your VCR! Look for the Broncos to make every effort to slip past the Eagles in an attempt to snatch the team legacy. Word is, if the Browns keep the #12 pick, that is the one Elway is targeting to move up to. It could expand into a mega-deal, as the old QB has spent the last few years trying to entice the Browns to "free Willey" and package Joe Thomas into the mix.

One player the Giants have shown strong interest in is Houston's Tyus Bowser, miscast in a 3-4 scheme with the Cougars. Many feel he has Jamie Collins qualities, especially the Dolphins, making him the prime target for the team in South Beach before the Big Blue can get around to picking. It could lead to a nice consolation prize though, as many scouts feel that Florida's Jarrad Davis is making a strong push to get with a linebacker-needy team in the bottom third of the opening round.

Seattle's "invites" the last week (Lattimore and Conley, Humphrey, etc.) of cornerbacks is either the team trying to bluff Richard Sherman that they are serious about trading him, or in reality, they have tired of his antics. The bet here is, whether he stays or not, Sherman could see a local kid, Kevin King, get a call from Pete Carroll at the end of Round One. Seattle is also doing lots of homework on my most underrated corner, Utah's Brian Allen, but more so for late Day Two activity.

The Chiefs are determined to build for the future and have been equally busy as San Francisco in delving into the good, bad, ugly of the quarterback class. If they go Round One, DeShaun Watson is their flavor of the month. Some think the Cards will jump on Watson first, but Bruce Arians has lots of tapes on Cal's Davis Webb in his office.

Some former first round projections are seeing their top rung spots drop, as talk is Alabama's Cam Robinson and Marlon Humphrey could slip into Day Two affairs. Taco Charlton is being eye-balled by Detroit, but his sudden "desire" to play last year have others wondering if he's worth first round money. The second round stud should be Mississippi's Evan Engram, a player I would not hesitate to snatch in the opening round, if I was the New York Giants. 

The consensus is that O.J. Howard and David Njoku will be long gone before Engram hears his name called, but if you look at what he brings to the table as a receiver, there is no finer fit for Big Blue, unless the future falls into their laps and Patrick Mahomes is still waiting for an opening round call. Bowser and Jarrad Davis are also in play for the Giants, if they slide, but word is they don't place Vanderbilt's Zack Cunningham into that same opening phase pecking order. 

The Giants also feel they can get their future edge rusher in the second round, with the favorite name being bandied about as Florida State's DeMarcus Walker, who some teams feel could also handle a few snaps each week as an under tackle in addition to coming off the flank. Youngstown State's Derek Rivers has also drawn considerable attention in East Rutherford, but some on the staff seem to prefer local product Tanoh Kpassagnon emerging late in the second round as a viable option if Walker has already been selected. 

If the team waits until the third round to get another pass rusher, Alabama's Ryan Anderson could fill that need, either on the edge or at strong-side linebacker.They have also shown similar interest in oft-injured Florida product - Alex Anzalone, but those medical reports are the only reason the Gator will still be there late on Day Three.

Houston is on the quarterback market, but Bill O'Brien could pull a Day Two surprise, as he's spent a lot of time putting Pittsburgh's Nate Peterman under the microscope. Pittsburgh could also be the place where the first Division II player will be drafted this year, as Ben Roethlisberger is pushing for Ashland tight end Adam Shaheen to come on board in the second round.The Steelers could change their minds in that round, if Florida's Quincy Wilson slides, but if they do not get a corner in the first two rounds, West Virginia's Rasul Douglas has emerged as a viable third round pick in Round Three, where Utah's Brian Allen also comes into play.

San Francisco GM John Lynch says he's "open for business" with the #2 pick, but he could be throwing caution to the wind. Word is that the team has targeted troubled Joe Mixon in Round Two and hope injured cornerback Sidney Jones is waiting for them early in the third round. With the draft absent of any franchise types to secure with the second pick, analysts still predict he will take Stanford's Solomon Thomas, but the former safety has done an "only have eyes for you" view when watching tapes of LSU's Jamal Adams.

All the talk about the Bills going for a quarterback in Round One appear to be a smokescreen, especially after Tyrod Taylor re-did his deal. But, that does not mean they will not add to that unit before Day Two ends. If Jon Gruden is right, the "best mind" in this QB class is Miami's Brad Kaaya and despite an early run in the draft on mediocre passers, Round Three is the place where this Hurricane could be a great value pick-up, so much so, my scouts are calling him this year's Dak Prescott.

While most think the Patriots will further address cornerback needs during the Malcolm Butler situation, Coach Bill B. likes to rattle cages. Do not be surprised if fast-rising strong safety Justin Evans all of a sudden hears his name called at the end of Round One. Jarrad Davis is another name the Pats are strongly considering with their current first pick.

Some nuggets:

• Broncos may trade up for McCaffrey
  • 49ers want Mixon in 2nd round
  • Browns want to trade up for San Fran's #2 pick
  • Chargers set on Jamal Adams if he falls

Take this for what you will. A lot of information.

David Newton ESPN Staff Writer 

Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman doesn't sound like a man looking to trade up in the draft. Here's what he said Friday when asked about having four picks among the top 98: "It's real valuable. This is a good draft. Man, I'm telling you. This is the full Ben & Jerry's, Howard Johnson's . . . Does anybody remember HoJos's, Howard Johnson's? Fifty-six flavors? Fifty-seven? There is a real variety of talent and skills and interesting mixes and matches. It's a heck of a draft to have a lot of picks. And frankly, the back end of the draft has some interesting characters.''

24 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

If the Chargers want Adams, and Fournette is there at 6, why would we do anything to move up 2 spots? It sounds like a fabricated story by the Jets.

In this scenario, if we didn't trade up with the Jets, then Cincy would, so we would be trading up to shut them out essentially.

5 minutes ago, 15 said:

I am willing to be anything that we stay put at #8. 

anyone wanna take that bet? 

also willing to bet anything that we do not take a corner at #8. 

any takers?

I'll bet that we are not taking defensive player in the 1st

we will move up for Fournette if it is required.

Fournette > OJ Howard > McCaffrey  

22 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Fun fact: From this, the Falcons apparently want to trade in the 15-20 range.

For Jordan Willis.

If you're curious, I have him as a 3rd round/4th round guy with how bad his pass rushing is. He has speed, but that's it.

Charles Harris would make more sense.

1 hour ago, La Pantera said:

If we give up '18 1st rd I'm going to punch somebody in the d!ck!

We won't. Gentleman said the rhetorical question he asked himself about moving up" is it worth the 2nd or 3rd rounder it would cost you?"

That finally confirms and makes an ass of anyone lying about sources telling them we talked to San Fran about pick 2, as a 2nd or 3rd won't move you that far.

48 minutes ago, 15 said:

I am willing to be anything that we stay put at #8. 

anyone wanna take that bet? 

also willing to bet anything that we do not take a corner at #8. 

any takers?

I'd make the corner bet, with one caveat. I get to pick at least 5 players who have to be off the board first. 

Archived