• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Using hindsight, we navigated this draft almost flawlessly

panther4life

2 hours ago, Bartin said:

Only thing I would change is not make the trade for Daeshon Hall and instead take Carl Lawson at 98 and Jake Butt at 115.

I don't see much difference between Hall and Lawson and we could redshirt Butt in 2017 then he becomes TE2 in 2018 after Dickson's contract expires and then TE1 when Olsen hangs it up.

It really was a fantastic draft though. As good as anyone could reasonably expect it to go.

I like Jake Butt, and wish we could have gotten him.  Him and Kittle were my middle/late round hopes.  However, I think that Hall will end up a better player than Lawson when all is said and done.  Lawson is obviously more polished at this point, but I think Hall has better innate traits and has a much higher ceiling.  Not to mention that Lawson's injury history worries me.  

After sobering up and extensive highlight binging ive come around on this draft, im still of the group that would rather have O.J and the Brooklyn Blur than essentially 2 of the same players in CMC and Samuel, but it's time to move on.

Flawlessly? maybe if we would have got a TE and/or a Safety.

Based on our visit list I think we were interested in both, especially TE.  We drafted one last year, a lot of discussion about how we were close to drafting Henry, there was talk about Shula really wanted one, and we have added several to the roster the past few years.

Moving up for Hall ruined our chances at Butt, Kittle, or Leggett, if we were interested in them

2 hours ago, Bartin said:

Only thing I would change is not make the trade for Daeshon Hall and instead take Carl Lawson at 98 and Jake Butt at 115.

I don't see much difference between Hall and Lawson and we could redshirt Butt in 2017 then he becomes TE2 in 2018 after Dickson's contract expires and then TE1 when Olsen hangs it up.

It really was a fantastic draft though. As good as anyone could reasonably expect it to go.

Not even just Lawson.

Instead of Hall at 77 we could have had at 98:

Trey Hendrickson drafted at103

Carl Lawson drafted at 116

Deatrich Wise drafted at 131

and then at 115 choices of TEs:

Michael Roberts drafted at 127

Jake Butt drafted at 145

George Kittle drafted a146

Leggett drafted at 150

We could have traded down 15 spots with both our 3rd round pick and fourth round pick and still had

at 113 Lawson or Wise

at 130 Butt, Kittle, or Leggett

Those two trades downs would have get you about 75 points of draft capital which is equal to a early 4th.  That capital could have been used for a safety or maybe move up in the 7th and pick Zane Gonzalez.

Either way I think moving up for Hall was actually a pivotal point in the draft.  I guess in a few years we will find out if it was worth it.

4 hours ago, SOJA said:

Another thing that jumped out to me that I didn't expect was that Philly Brown seemed to get a lot more playing time than I remembered. 

I like Philly a lot, but it's not surprising we didn't re-sign him. He didn't do much with the playing time we gave him. 

Yea I agree. He lost me when he really acted unimpressed with the magician they brought in last preseason. fug you if you don't like magic. Don't try to expose it for us to seem smarter. Just enjoy the show, cherry.

Was obviously more than that but no love loss now he's gone. 

36 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Flawlessly? maybe if we would have got a TE and/or a Safety.

Based on our visit list I think we were interested in both, especially TE.  We drafted one last year, a lot of discussion about how we were close to drafting Henry, there was talk about Shula really wanted one, and we have added several to the roster the past few years.

Moving up for Hall ruined our chances at Butt, Kittle, or Leggett, if we were interested in them

Not even just Lawson.

Instead of Hall at 77 we could have had at 98:

Trey Hendrickson drafted at103

Carl Lawson drafted at 116

Deatrich Wise drafted at 131

and then at 115 choices of TEs:

Michael Roberts drafted at 127

Jake Butt drafted at 145

George Kittle drafted a146

Leggett drafted at 150

We could have traded down 15 spots with both our 3rd round pick and fourth round pick and still had

at 113 Lawson or Wise

at 130 Butt, Kittle, or Leggett

Those two trades downs would have get you about 75 points of draft capital which is equal to a early 4th.  That capital could have been used for a safety or maybe move up in the 7th and pick Zane Gonzalez.

Either way I think moving up for Hall was actually a pivotal point in the draft.  I guess in a few years we will find out if it was worth it.

All of your trade down scenarios are predicated on having someone calling to trade up....never know.

Muhammad' Ali often performed magic tricks for his audiences whenever he was on missions as the United Nations Messenger of Peace.whenever he was finished performing the magic tricks though  he always showed his audience how he was able to create an illusion...simply because he didn't believe that it was morally right to decieve others.

54 minutes ago, arbnranger said:

Yea I agree. He lost me when he really acted unimpressed with the magician they brought in last preseason. fug you if you don't like magic. Don't try to expose it for us to seem smarter. Just enjoy the show, cherry.

Was obviously more than that but no love loss now he's gone. 

so like Muhammad Ali maybe Philly B simply didn't believe that it was spiritually or morally right to decieve others?

This video is depressing. All I'm seeing our oline just getting pushed back right into Cam and somebody constantly hitting him or is real close to hitting him

And our screens are terrible, the design and execution screams for Khalil Mack to intercept it. I worry that's going to happen every time we run a screen. Shula is going to need to get it together or get fired by middle of next season, no waiting until the season is over

4 hours ago, MadHatter said:

All of your trade down scenarios are predicated on having someone calling to trade up....never know.

Very true, it always amazes me when some people think you can trade down on demand and always get a good offer, but seeing how DG has never traded down I would guess there is more to it than just lack of opportunity.

Also the majority of my post was referring to the what if scenario if we didn't trade up and kept the picks we had which is totally in our control.  The trade down example was to help illustrate how there were some players available at our original pick location and in some cases a good bit after that point in the draft.

Archived