• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Where is Jarrett?" Let me give you an observation.

top dawg

We don't throw enough to use Jarrett. Thats all there is to it. If we run less then Jarrett would get more catches.

Our two most prolific passing games this (irt number of completions) were San Diego and at Atlanta. And if you look at the numbers from those games, the passes were spread out fairly well.

We have been averaging about 16 completions a game. Smith gets about 6-8 of those (which he should), Moose gets about 4, and the rest are spread out between Jarrett, Hackett, King, Rosario, Williams, and Stewart.

So whose catches should be reduced so that Jarrett can get more? If anyone says Steve Smith, they should be drawn and quartered, as should anyone who says we should run less.

Exactly what I've been trying to get at, and the same reasoning I used to defend Hackett's lack of production (outside of his injury) in the other thread.

Davidson is our offensive coordinator. He likes to run, so the 3rd receiver is really no use

With Henning, the 3rd receiver, Ricky Proehl, was valuable to our offense because Henning drew up throwing plays and 3rd receiver was definitely an option. Ricky could catch, so having him was like a bail out for Jake. Jake trusted him

Its a little different now

The only thing this thread tells me is that you're under the impression that using 3 wide receivers is impossible.

Certainly not impossible. We have done it when we had to. We just haven't needed to very much. Best I can remember, we used 3 receiver sets at atlanta when we got down, and it worked fairly well, even if it wasn't noticed due to defensive and special teams issues.

Certainly not impossible. We have done it when we had to. We just haven't needed to very much. Best I can remember, we used 3 receiver sets at atlanta when we got down, and it worked fairly well, even if it wasn't noticed due to defensive and special teams issues.

Ah, a very astute observation.

We don't throw enough to use Jarrett. Thats all there is to it. If we run less then Jarrett would get more catches.

Our two most prolific passing games this (irt number of completions) were San Diego and at Atlanta. And if you look at the numbers from those games, the passes were spread out fairly well.

We have been averaging about 16 completions a game. Smith gets about 6-8 of those (which he should), Moose gets about 4, and the rest are spread out between Jarrett, Hackett, King, Rosario, Williams, and Stewart.

So whose catches should be reduced so that Jarrett can get more? If anyone says Steve Smith, they should be drawn and quartered, as should anyone who says we should run less.

Pretty much. :yesnod:

Think about it. What does it say for our team that we only activate 4 WRs on game day, with one of them who is activated mainly to return kickoffs and punt returns? Right now, we're tied for last with the Oakland Raiders for passing attempts per game so the third receiver isn't going to do much anyways.

BTW, I still have hopes for Jarrett but he really needs to improve his route running and catching skills if he wants a long career in this league. He is...

SSSLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

If you forced me to bet who would win in a foot race between Jarrett and Moose, I'd actually have to really think about it. :lol:

I agree completely....

The biggest enemy to jarrett, king and rosario is Jake Delhomme. It's hard to become a viable part of the offense when your QB is keyed in on one or two guys.

No doubt, but it also can't be denied Steve Smith is our biggest threat at receiver and thus gives us a better chance to win the game.

As I said, if it comes to the point where a defense just takes Smith out of the game, then let's see some passes to Jarrett and the tight ends.

But we haven't gotten to that point yet. :thumbsup:

Davidson is our offensive coordinator. He likes to run, so the 3rd receiver is really no use

With Henning, the 3rd receiver, Ricky Proehl, was valuable to our offense because Henning drew up throwing plays and 3rd receiver was definitely an option. Ricky could catch, so having him was like a bail out for Jake. Jake trusted him

Its a little different now

Ah, a very astute observation.

Jarret just needs to remain in the league longer. He's young and dumb. He can be just as good as Moose was, just takes experience. Let's hope we can hang on to Hackett though, we'll need him more than most people think.

You are discussing Jake's throws to WR's as if he had 5 minutes to make up his mind about which one of all our WR's who all are wide open he should throw to. :lol:

There is another team on the field playing football too. Jake will take what the defense gives him. He has said that often, almost after every game. And if that defense has the other 2 WR's covered well and Smitty has a little daylight between him & his coverage, it's going to Smitty because he gives Jake the better chance of completing the pass. Jake is not the "enemy", the defense and their schemes are. IMO Jake isn't keying in on anyone unless that player told him to. "They do this when I do this, so I will do that and they won't be close. Get me the ball fast." And that most often would be Smitty saying that. I don't think Jarret would be able to recognize anything like this yet.

If the WR's-not-named-Smith can't get open when Jake needs to throw the ball, they are not getting that ball. Simple as that. With Jarret's size, he should be blocking out every CB or LB that covers him and he's not there yet. Experience will get him there.

As for Proehl, he was valuable not because he was fast or because he would catch the ball more often than not, but because he would get himself open more often than not. He was a tricky veteran who knew the game well. That's Smitty and Moose. That is not Jarrett ..... yet.

not necessarily true. jake has done a very good job with ball distribution this season. the only time smith becomes an automatic lock for delhomme is when there's a mismatch and smith consistently gets open. why wouldn't you want to keep feeding him the ball in that situation?

...but if jarrett is on the field, chances are he's jake's first read. he's has made BIG catches with what little playing time he's seen.

imo, he's slowly becoming mr. clutch....with all due respect to proehl.

I just looked over Jarrett's catches this season.

9 catches for 100 yard even. avg'n 11.1 yards a catch.

He caught a pass that was for 4 yards on a 2nd and 10, then on 4th and 6, caught a ball for 11 yards (first down)

Other than the one 2nd and 10 short of the first.. all his catches HAVE been for first downs.

If we could get him to score TD's the way Ricky did... I would say 100% he's move'n into Ricky's shoes there.

8 out of 9 catches, for first downs.

Right now the Panthers have a good dilemma with Jarrett. The O is clicking so the urgency to get Jarrett involved isn't there.

He does need touches simply from a confidence standpoint. He is going to have key moments down the stretch simply due to the attention on SS.

Archived