• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Cam Newton Isn't Accurate." Is That Really True? A Quick Look At Why Shula Is To Blame, And The Offense

Saca312

9 hours ago, RoosterCockburn said:

Making one big giant excuse for Cam. He makes the final play call. He makes the reads and decided where to go with the football. 

2015 was a year the defense made the offense look better than it was. It's time to move on.

I smell fresh troll. 

8 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Amazing how so many still want to blame Cam for dropped passes, throwing to partially open receivers.

Cam has made some bad throws no doubt but to say he is inaccurate, is well, inaccurate.

All QBs make bad throws, that's the thing. I saw Peyton in his prime overthrow a wide open WR twice on consecutive plays for what should have been an easy TD. 

10 hours ago, RoosterCockburn said:

Making one big giant excuse for Cam. He makes the final play call. He makes the reads and decided where to go with the football. 

2015 was a year the defense made the offense look better than it was. It's time to move on.

The defense and offense complimented each other in 2015..2016 both were injury prone and defenses figured out the weak links in the offense also beating Cam in the process...its not which is better the defense or offense..2016 just was not a good job by either side but the offense had a lot more holes to fill on that side of the ball. Dave and Shula did not see this coming but they should have looking at what happen to them in the SB was the beginning of the end of that style of offense with those players.

I don't think I have seen any "Shula defender" blame cam's accuracy for our offensive's problems last year. So not sure I see the relevance here. Also, anyone who thinks Cam is inaccurate is not paying attention. 

I think the root of our problem was and has been personnel in terms of not allowing Cam to meet this full potential. 

Every move Gettleman has made this offseason points to that being the case vs Shula holding everyone back. 

• Didn't fire Shula 
  • Let underperforming players who either started or saw a huge chunk of snaps go when he let Remmers,Ginn, Tolbert and Brown walk in free agency
  • Admitted he constantly worried about giving Ron enough players to be successful and was a driving force behind him using so much resources to shore up all of our holes on offense.
  • Paid top dollar to secure Matt Kalil (lets hope he pans out)
  • Spent picks 8 and 40 on securing more reliable weapons who have speed to separate 
  • Used pick 64 on another offensive tackle 
  • In Post season and post draft conference's Rivera said there was a focus on adding more speed and help for Cam and constantly blamed positional catastrophe on the offensive line last year for our struggles (and rightly so)

Another thing that was much different last year is Cam only scrambled on 1.8% of his snaps.

Cam's ability to scramble and make something out of nothing is one of the traits that make him an elite player and propels our offense even when everything else breaks down.  There were many reasons and contributing factors to why this could have been the case, but the least likely of those was Shula, deciding he didn't want Cam running anymore. Maybe Rivera made that decision because of injury concern.

Bottom line to me is this.  The offensive personnel, injuries , refs allowing cam to be constantly struck in the head without a flag and a defense that wasn't as reliable as the previous year all factor into our downfall from 2015. It is simply not possible to put all or the majority of the blame on Shula if you are truly being objective. 

7 hours ago, Udogg said:

Our slow plodding WR's can't get separation.  So all the quick routes every one talks about aren't open as well as the deep routes. 

Our Oline was garbage last year. 

The only receiver who can get separation drops a lot of footballs. 

And everyone acts like they didn't see Cam throw a lot of horrible passes last year.

But it's all Shula's fault...............................

Of course he throwed alot of bad passes..i belief for the most of the season Cam was in some way playing hurt...No QB is perfect...Some throws Cam missed i know he could have hit..He was off last season. If the poo continues this year then thats when I will start the Come on Cam chant but right now he is lucky to have survived last yr.

11 hours ago, Saca312 said:

For all you Shula defenders, this finally convince you he's the reason Cam Newton may never reach his full potential?

So what I got from the article is that Cam throws to receivers with no separation.  Maybe he should quit throwing to the covered receivers and throw to the open ones instead...just kidding....kind of.

In all seriousness, I don't think our system or receivers always makes Cam's job the easiest.  As far as Shula goes I don't think there are actually many defenders of him around here.  There are some that are more critical of Cam but I don't really see many people claiming Shula is one of the top offensive minds n the league.

5 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

The issue was 2nd and 3rd down passing to WRs.

Player  Tgt  Rec  Ctch%  Yds  TD  1D
Kelvin Benjamin  73  35  47.9%   503  4  27
Ted Ginn  53  31  58.5%  459  3  17
Devin Funchess  35  14  40.0%  223  3  12
Corey Brown  36  17  47.2%  151  0  10
Brenton Bersin  6  2  33.3%  17  0  2

Player  Tgt  Rec  Ctch%  Yds  TD  1D
Ted Ginn  59   29  49.2%  540  9  26
Jerricho Cotchery  39   27  69.2%  363  1  20
Devin Funchess  38   17  44.7%  246  4  14
Corey Brown  33   16  48.5%  221  2  13
Brenton Bersin  4   2  50.0%  23  0  1

The Ginn/Cotchery combo was much more effective than the Benjamin/Ginn combo, and the offense leaned on the Benjamin/Ginn combo a lot more than the Ginn/Cotchery combo to keep drives alive. Both Benjamin and Ginn failed to establish themselves as well as Cotchery on 2nd and 3rd down from the slot.

Benjamin as the #1 and Ginn as the #2 was the problem. While Cotchery was not the greatest, he was reliable enough to keep drives alive and minimize the chances of the defense making a play. Ginn was also more effective as a #1 big play threat in 2015 than Benjamin was in 2016.

This is one reason I was hoping we could have drafted Zay Jones.  I still think Cam needs that dependable, possession type of receiver that he can count on when he needs a first down.  Maybe Shepard can fill that role.

Don't get me wrong, I also thought we needed a deep threat, speed type of guy so I understand why we drafted Samuel.

15 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

In all seriousness, I don't think our system or receivers always makes Cam's job the easiest.  As far as Shula goes I don't think there are actually many defenders of him around here.  There are some that are more critical of Cam but I don't really see many people claiming Shula is one of the top offensive minds n the league.

I think the only people defending Shula are the ones who get tired of everyone putting SO MUCH blame on him.  They don't want to defend him but feel like they have to just to keep things reasonable around here.

Archived