• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Twin Peaks

Jangler

Seriously, what is the fascination this show? I didn't get it 25 years ago_(and i was tripping a lot then) and i still don't. Boring, bad acting and writing. 

Its weird and strange to be weird and strange for no reason, which means nothing to me.

6 hours ago, Still Brooklyn said:

Yeah, being weird JUST to be weird (hi, David Lynch and Tim Burton) is a gimmick. I couldn't even get through the first season.

I do, however, like The Leftovers.

I do like most of Tim Burton's stuff, even the Johnny Depp movies...but Lynch is confusing beyond caring for me. Even Blue Velvet is meh, Dennis Hopper makes it watchable.

On 5/23/2017 at 4:11 AM, Jangler said:

Seriously, what is the fascination this show? I didn't get it 25 years ago_(and i was tripping a lot then) and i still don't. Boring, bad acting and writing. 

Its weird and strange to be weird and strange for no reason, which means nothing to me.

I have tried to watch it twice and just lost interest.  Its boring, badly acted and silly.  I dunno either man.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, surprised to see these reactions.  I remember the original run coming out when I was too little to really understand what was going on...  and barely being of school age yet, my mom probably wouldn't have let me watch it anyway lol.

But, I had friends who loved it as adults, so upon seeing it was being rebooted, I decided to check out the original run.  I THOROUGHLY ENJOYED IT!  Yeah, I had a hard time getting around the quirkiness, the overly-dramatic score and repetitiveness of it, as well as the sappy soap-opera like scenes, but when you get down to the character development, their interactions, their intertwined nature, and most importantly the plot progression and cinematics, the show was way ahead of its time.

As I was watching it, it struck me...  having been a huge fan of True Detective, with season 1 being phenomenal and season 2 falling off a bit, I actually came to the conclusion that both seasons were COMPLETE RIPOFFS of Twin Peaks.  If you give the show a chance and watch that first season and a half, Polazzao (sp?) basically plagiarized all of Twin Peaks and rebranded it as his own.  The similarities are uncanny.

I still have 7 episodes left of the first run, and I just started the reboot last night...  the reboot so far, is the best series on tv at the moment (until GoT, TWD, or FTWD come back on).  With the technological advancements made since 91, and perhaps just a bigger budget now with a premium channel in Showtime, it is a LOT scarier and haunting on the reboot.  I highly recommend giving it a chance while the other heavy hitters are still In their offseasons.

I love the show.  It's accessible (for Lynch standards that is haha) and it's more of the atmosphere and surrealism that gets me.  The show is somehow grounded in a similar atmosphere to Blue Velvet but then can sidewind you to Mulholland Drive levels of wtf.  Who doesn't like a trip into the bizarre? I actually feel the first 4 episodes have some decent coherency.    

***Spoilers...

The possessed Bob-Cooper tricks the Black Lodge as the real-Cooper exits.  That passage sequence leaving through the wall outlet was crazy.  Coop reverts to a doppleganger's body (Dougie, manufactured IMO by the missing body parts of the murder scene) and both Bob-Coop and real Coop with temporary brain melt are coexisting.  Dougie was dissolved once brought into the lodge and real Coop will eventually snap back into it.  Also--Blue rose is code for supernatural with the FBI.  Something will bring them back to Twin Peaks.  

Side bar: I also saw a crazy theory how Wally Brando is actually an actor the Sheriff is paying to pose as a son because Lucie and Andy went off their rocker.    

And ditto to @Proudiddy, the second season of True Detective tried soooo hard to have the Twin Peaks vibe but failed miserably. S1 was awesome but it bothered me how close beyond just emulation it was in S2.  

I loved the original series. The last few episodes weren't great because David Lynch was trying to rush through to an ending. Network tv wasn't his friend and they kept dicking around  with scheduling and a bunch of other stuff so he called it quits. 

Aside from that, tho, he really put together a very interesting and quirky show. I haven't watched any of the new episodes because I'm not paying for showtime but when it hits amazon prime or netflix I'll be ready for it.

Really was unique programming at the time. Nothing like it had ever been done, especially with the fan hype surrounding it. Totally a cultural phenomenon.  Laura's diary was a huge seller along with a lot of other books about it (back when you bought books at an actual bookstore).

Lots of shows since then have tried to copy it or at least was heavily inspired by it, but nothing can match it. It's easy to get sucked into it and let it take you through an emotional wringer. I'm a sap so that didn't help. 

Anyways,  great show, but obviously not for everyone. You'll either love it or think it's the most stupid thing you've ever seen.

• 1 month later...

Just finished the first 3 episodes, incredible film-making, I haven't had a TV show give me the creeps like this in a long time.  The glass box scene...just surreal and terrifying.  Can't wait to catch up on remaining episodes.

Archived