• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darrel Young Trying to Make a Name For Himself

Seems like a good dude, but then again, so does Alex.  Very interested to see if Young or Armah can emerge head and shoulders over the other in TC and the preseason.  I know Armah is a draft pick, but Young has experience.  I honestly don't know which has the better shot to make the 53 as of right now.

5 minutes ago, dpm0409 said:

Seems like a good dude, but then again, so does Alex.  Very interested to see if Young or Armah can emerge head and shoulders over the other in TC and the preseason.  I know Armah is a draft pick, but Young has experience.  I honestly don't know which has the better shot to make the 53 as of right now.

Young is a 30 year old RB playing on a 1 year/$775,000 deal. He was also a small school Defense guy who got converted to FB. I honestly think that Armah get PS this season and learns behind Young. Coming from a small school to the NFL is a huge learning curve, but switching positions at the same time...that's huge. I doubt Armah will be ready come week 1. He does look to have a huge upside though.

9 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

Young is a 30 year old RB playing on a 1 year/$775,000 deal. He was also a small school Defense guy who got converted to FB. I honestly think that Armah get PS this season and learns behind Young. Coming from a small school to the NFL is a huge learning curve, but switching positions at the same time...that's huge. I doubt Armah will be ready come week 1. He does look to have a huge upside though.

Yeah, I agree that scenario seems very likely and if it does play out as such, I'd still really like to see Armah make some plays during the preseason games to show signs of progression as he gets acclimated to the level of play in the NFL. 

Maybe catch a few passes out of the backfield and lay the wood on a linebacker or two; ya know, just to get me excited about his potential for 2018.

giphy.gif.106021445ca5de7e6a8dc8c9a60c3264.gif

10 hours ago, shaqattaq said:

I honestly believe that if we try to stash him on the PS, he'll get scooped come waivers time. I'd rather not take the chance myself, and let him be part of the 53. If he's not ready, he rides the pine until he is. But, better that than watching some douche coach (*cough*Bellicheat*cough*) snatch a promising young back away from us again.

3 hours ago, Raskle said:

I honestly believe that if we try to stash him on the PS, he'll get scooped come waivers time. I'd rather not take the chance myself, and let him be part of the 53.

It's possible, but to be fair we also thought that was gonna happen with Brandon Wegher and Damiere Bird.

The only way I see us keeping both on the 53 man roster is if they have special team value.   

Armah might have the edge there because he played multiple positions and probably is a better tackler.

We'll see.   I think we take our chances though and put one on the Practice Squad.   If another team wants him that bad where they give up a spot on their 53 for him.  Than as John Fox would say.  It is what it is.

5 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

The only way I see us keeping both on the 53 man roster is if they have special team value.   

Armah might have the edge there because he played multiple positions and probably is a better tackler.

We'll see.   I think we take our chances though and put one on the Practice Squad.   If another team wants him that bad where they give up a spot on their 53 for him.  Than as John Fox would say.  It is what it is.

Good point about ST. He SHOULD be a darned good tackler, he played DE and LB in college in addition to TE. ST skills would definitely help him make the 53, even if Young is our FB. If he's ready to take the reigns anytime this season, you cut Young. I agree that he probably will not get snatched if we try to hide him on the PS,  FB isn't a highly sought after position. Besides, NE already has 2 FB's on the roster, including baby Gronk.

9 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's possible, but to be fair we also thought that was gonna happen with Brandon Wegher and Damiere Bird.

Little different situation though, in that both of those guys were UDFAs, versus an actual draft pick, even though he was a late rounder.

1 hour ago, caatfan said:

I don't think many teams will be looking for FB's to pluck from practice squads.

True, it's been devalued by a lot of other teams. But hopefully, we change the mind of the league when we become the number one rushing attack this year, right?  = )

Archived