• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Malik Monk's "significant" ankle injury

bLACKpANTHER

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/9/9/16280746/malik-monk-injury-hornets-draft

Hornets’ first-round draft pick Malik Monk missed the entirety of the NBA summer league in July with an ankle injury he suffered during the draft workout process, and he still hasn’t recovered from it. Monk was expected to be out for a month, but Coach Steve Clifford is now calling the injury “significant,” according to the Charlotte Observer’s Rick Bonnell.

Clifford explained that Monk couldn’t complete an optional workout that wasn’t physically demanding. There’s no update on whether this means he could miss the start of the season, which is just six weeks away, but it isn’t a good sign.

The No. 11 overall pick isn’t expected to play a large role for the team, but should fill in a key bench role behind Nicolas Batum. Monk was a dynamic, though streaky, shooter for the Kentucky Wildcats. He and Kemba Walker could make for a potent backcourt, and Charlotte will also welcome Dwight Howard to the mix this season. There are playoff aspirations if the pieces fit.

But nobody knows quite what Monk’s status is just yet.

I had a 3rd degree high ankle sprain, every ligament in my ankle torn as a result, and my ankle swollen to the point my leg looked like an elephant's with bruising all the way up my calf...  I didn't walk for a month, had PT for about 2 or 3 weeks, and then was free to return to full activities, which included competitive athletics.  

If This happened during the draft process and he isn't right by now, I'm worried he might need surgery.  And where is our training staff on the matter?

If Malik Monk potentially being out for an extended period keeps you from watching the Hornets, please don't bother when he comes back.  He's 19. He's a backup.  He can't run the point. He's undersized.  He's a streaky shooter.  I'm not trying to say he can't or won't be a player, but good lord.  This season doesn't hinge on Malik Monk.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I was thinking of watching more Hornets games this year. 

Maybe not. 

just to clear things up - Monk wasn't going to be a huge factor for us this year - more like the cherry on top..

We WILL be a playoff team though.. half the East is tanking and we have a strong roster - with or without Monk.. top 6 seed in my honest opinion.. but this news is still upsetting..

On 9/13/2017 at 10:48 AM, bLACKpANTHER said:

just to clear things up - Monk wasn't going to be a huge factor for us this year - more like the cherry on top..

We WILL be a playoff team though.. half the East is tanking and we have a strong roster - with or without Monk.. top 6 seed in my honest opinion.. but this news is still upsetting..

Hope so. 

It is so difficult to get into the Hornets. I want to, I really do. 

Archived