• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Changing the Launch Point

Hogmolliesmaht

As most of you know, I am not a Shula hater but the one thing I would love to see from the offense is to change up Cam's launch point. I would like to see more shorter drops from under center and more bootleg/rollouts. It just looks me me like defenses know exactly where he's going to be on every pass play and they're just teeing off and trying to beat the tackles to that spot. What say you, amateur OC's?

He just needs to get the ball out quick, I don't care to who.  Every time he dumped it off it went for at least 5 yards.  That's how you eliminate the negative plays (sacks) and keep drives moving.  Shula needs to give him a check down on every play, and Cam can't be afraid to take it.

3 minutes ago, adub2b23 said:

He just needs to get the ball out quick, I don't care to who.  Every time he dumped it off it went for at least 5 yards.  That's how you eliminate the negative plays (sacks) and keep drives moving.  Shula needs to give him a check down on every play, and Cam can't be afraid to take it.

Yeah, but you can't call a quick pass on every play or the defense will eventually start jumping them. We need to help those tackles by making opposing pass rushers start guessing a little bit instead of already knowing where Cam will be before the snap. TBH, some of this is on Cam too. When he's in shotgun, he has to be aware that when he steps back from there, it makes it a little bit harder for his tackles to block for him because he's giving the rushers an easier path to the QB.

1 minute ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Yeah, but you can't call a quick pass on every play or the defense will eventually start jumping them. We need to help those tackles by making opposing pass rushers start guessing a little bit instead of already knowing where Cam will be before the snap. TBH, some of this is on Cam too. When he's in shotgun, he has to be aware that when he steps back from there, it makes it a little bit harder for his tackles to block for him because he's giving the rushers an easier path to the QB.

I'm not saying for Shula to call quick passes every play, but there needs to be an outlet for Cam.  I put a lot of it on Cam holding onto the ball too long.

It seems like we went from supermobile Cam being the game plan to Cam just stands there in the pocket and doesn't threaten to move.

I know the evolution is for him to be more pocket centric, but this isn't just more dangerous for him, but actually takes away one of the assets that allowed Cam to dictate the game to his opponents.

Roll outs, boot legs, sliding pockets and a designed run or two will do wonders. But then again, I don't get a report from the Panthers' physical training team each day. Maybe this is all he can do right now.

But even that run he had against Buffalo looked timid and bumbling, compared to old Cam.

6 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I would like to see more shorter drops from under center and more bootleg/rollouts. It just looks me me like defenses know exactly where he's going to be on every pass play and they're just teeing off and trying to beat the tackles to that spot. What say you, amateur OC's?

I agree. I would like for the Panthers to use Cam's mobility by doing more rollouts, play-action, and bootlegs. Also, they have to force more dump offs by having more players running underneath.

Its about time to take the training wheels off for Curtis Samuel and see what he can do. The Panthers haven't had an effective slot receiver since Cotchery.

6 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

It seems like we went from supermobile Cam being the game plan to Cam just stands there in the pocket and doesn't threaten to move.

I know the evolution is for him to be more pocket centric, but this isn't just more dangerous for him, but actually takes away one of the assets that allowed Cam to dictate the game to his opponents.

Roll outs, boot legs, sliding pockets and a designed run or two will do wonders. But then again, I don't get a report from the Panthers' physical training team each day. Maybe this is all he can do right now.

But even that run he had against Buffalo looked timid and bumbling, compared to old Cam.

Rivera and Shula's brains remain firmly in the 1980's and 90's and refuse to join the rest of the league in the present, much less the future.

11 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

I think we need to change the snap count.  Always going on 1 second gives the opposing defense a great advantage

I would be fine with leaving the snap count at one, except for two or three plays a game when we need less than five yards to pick up a first. 

We have seem to go from one pole to the other on this. Against the 49ers Cam zeroed in on CMC and force fed him the ball. Then, against the Bills, he held the ball the whole game waiting for someone to get open downfield. I'm hoping that everything evens out now and we get the best of both worlds.

4 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Rivera and Shula's brains remain firmly in the 1980's and 90's and refuse to join the rest of the league in the present, much less the future.

We sure have been to the playoffs and the Superb Owl a lot more than one would expect if those guys are the chimps you think they are.

Archived