• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Got a job offer..

bLACKpANTHER

I’ve always used the mantra if you are even considering making a move like this, it’s always a good idea. If it wasn’t, you probably wouldn’t have even considered it in the first place. Do it and keep looking for the next opportunity.

Always trust your gut instinct, and dont undervalue intangibles such as a good work environment. $15k a year is a nice bump depending on what you make right now. Say if you were going from 60 to 75, thats a nice bump but for someone that would go from say 140 to 155 it isnt as much a difference. Hopefully your current place will counter.  Good luck.

I don't have kids, but c'mon, man.

$15k more a year in exchange for an additional 60 minute commute? Consider that $15k your travel pay.

The benefits as well? You mean your family will be taken care of and you're even questioning that?

The idea that your family would have health insurance in this day and age should be enough by itself to convince you.  

10 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

I don't have kids, but c'mon, man.

$15k more a year in exchange for an additional 60 minute commute? Consider that $15k your travel pay.

The benefits as well? You mean your family will be taken care of and you're even questioning that?

The idea that your family would have health insurance in this day and age should be enough by itself to convince you.  

OP could have insurance through a spouse though.  My wife use to have better insurance and we used hers.....now we go through mine when I changed jobs and got better coverage (cheaper). 

I have a benefits package from my current job - the one from Booz is just better becus they are government contractors. But if any of you work in the DC area on gov't contracts - it's a whole different world than the private sector..

I'm still waiting from Boss to counter offer. I've had a mild-baby sized anxiety attack for like the entire weekend..

2 hours ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

I have a benefits package from my current job - the one from Booz is just better becus they are government contractors. But if any of you work in the DC area on gov't contracts - it's a whole different world than the private sector..

I'm still waiting from Boss to counter offer. I've had a mild-baby sized anxiety attack for like the entire weekend..

No need for that- you're in the driver's seat in either case. Just don't get too greedy with your current boss and put them in a position to tell you, "You should take their offer because we simply can't make any exceptions to our current situation." 

2 hours ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

It'll work out.

Never been one to get nervous when talking about a 15k bump in my pay.

This morning - My current job counter-offered with 90K, paid vacay and sick time. Benefits are still good. I'm still a contractor so the vacay and sick time will be a under the table kinda-deal. They really wanted me and they stretched out to keep me. I'm staying with them.

Opinions??

9 minutes ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

This morning - My current job counter-offered with 90K, paid vacay and sick time. Benefits are still good. I'm still a contractor so the vacay and sick time will be a under the table kinda-deal. They really wanted me and they stretched out to keep me. I'm staying with them.

Opinions??

Would you be full time, or a contractor at the new job?

With contractors you can cut bait at any moment with zero accountability.

I'd be a government contractor but a full-time Booz employee.. Booz would move me around to different DC gov't contracts.. some might be in Dc, some in Nova.. I could pick to move if something wasn't jiving with the people i work with.. but it would be like moving to a new job every year or maybe every few months..

45 minutes ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

I'd be a government contractor but a full-time Booz employee.. Booz would move me around to different DC gov't contracts.. some might be in Dc, some in Nova.. I could pick to move if something wasn't jiving with the people i work with.. but it would be like moving to a new job every year or maybe every few months..

I'd be hard pressed to not take the "employee" side, but with equal pay, and if you think your position is secure, go ahead and stay if that's where your heart is.

They came within 5K of your offer from Booz, and they're an hour closer per day. I'd stay where you are. You now have confirmation that you're marketable outside of your current job, so that's comforting. If things fall through at your current job you'd most likely still have options locally. Sounds like the company you're working for values you enough to make a strong counter for you, is doing exciting stuff, has a healthy work environment and is an hour less commute PER DAY in D.C. traffic. I think you made the right decision to stay. Congrats either way. 

Archived