• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Walking Dead

rodeo

It's probably been mentioned but the whole "Rick Grimes last episode on TWD evarrrr!!!" is definitely going to be another Glenn dumpster thing because he's moving to "FEAR the walking dead", right?

Yeah I'll find a stream of this episode and watch it this week but I couldn't convince myself to watch it live last night.

1 minute ago, Cary Kollins said:

ANDDDD

if Gimple has anything to do with these you can expect them to be hot garbage 

It is pretty bad that they've trashed to OG canon so bad that they have to make up completely new stuff to keep it going.

Also, that tweet doesn't sound good for the original TWD show.

This news reeks of overkill. Who is asking for Rick Grimes full-length movies, more WD series etc.?

Huge gamble by AMC. Wouldn't be surprised if they are leveraging this into a new streaming service deal or something. That would actually make more sense than just more Walking Dead overkill.

2 hours ago, Cary Kollins said:

ANDDDD

if Gimple has anything to do with these you can expect them to be hot garbage 

Yup...  came here to share this.  I read another article on it last night (i think it was avclub), and in it, Gimple said the movies will cover the time jump shown last night.  He also made a point to say something along the lines of "we know rick, we know he would want to get back to his family."  So, it definitely sounds intriguing and harks back to the early-seasons focus on the characters, development, tension, and conflict...  BUUUUT, then i remembered these quotes came from Gimple and he is overseeing the movies and the expansion of the universe...  so, i expect it to suck.

And like you, and some others here, i haven't watched a single episode this season, but i read the spoilers/reviews to see if it's worth getting back into...  i've seen mostly positive reviews of this season, and in particular, last night's episode, so I think I'm gonna check it out.  I know, as Bronn said, to expect some of those unbelievable, way too convenient, stupid shortcuts the writers take, but I'm hoping they're able to take the show from this point and get back to the focus on the characters and their conflicts...  get back to letting the acting build the tension, not hokey, easy-way-out writing...  

i think based off of what they have set into place, they salvaged the series the best way they could after Gimple ran it into near death. There's a lot to work with as it stands now...  Judith's character and her backstory is gonna be really intriguing.  I'm interested in what has happened to Michonne, and how she handles losing Rick (the imagery of Judith carrying the katana is interesting).  And what does Daryl do now?  He is interesting to me again, for the first time in a long time, now that leadership is sort of thrust upon him in Rick's absence. 

I also read speculation that they may bring Rick back on the show at some point...  i know they're marketing it as his absolute last show of the series, but i think it may be a way to gauge how the public reacts to his absence as well, while also seeing how the movies will be recieved.  Either way, it gives the show a chance to reset and freshen itself up...  also, read that they are pretty much locked to renew for another season, bc even though the ratings have dropped, the show is still top 5 in its time and demos, so again, I think this is their way of drumming up interest again...  hopefully, they handle this well going forward.  It's still gonna be hard for me to move past the crap they've irreparably ruined the last 3 seasons or so, but there is at least hope.

So....my wife told me Rick didn’t left basically how Morgan did.  They just are throwing him into a different TWD show.  Or one of many AMC “movies” pertaining to TWD universe.   

Definatelty not enough to get me back.  Sounds like overkill.  Show gets weaker so they just keep expanding the universe.  

and you know if they are keeping Rick alive he will be back.  Or others will find there way to his movies.  Or whatever.  

So I kind of dig how they are handling the story arc that they're getting into now from the comic. With Rick and Carl both gone (and both being MAJOR players in that arc), it would either have to be a completely different story OR some cross-breeding of plot points with other characters. They went with the latter and at least so far, it is paying off and playing well on screen for me.

Still have a lot that I want answered. I get why Daryl is off on his own (as Michonne did in the comics at this time). I don't understand the reasoning for the falling out of the communities. Or Michonne's X scar on her back. I'm hoping that these aren't solely explained via dialogue. I'd like for it to be a bit more than that. Maybe having a conversation where we actually have an episode, in flashback, detailing what exactly occurred in the time jump to cause the rift between the communities necessitating the fair. If Gimple had handled the Negan story ending properly, this would be easy. But since he's an idiot, well....we're stuck with this mess.

The writing is soooooooo much better right now though. It is MILES ahead of what Gimple was doing. I actually care for characters again. I actually feel somewhat invested in them again. Is it a return to the glory days of the show? No. It's still very much wading through the waste of what Gimple left and trying to make chicken salad out of....well, you know. However, when it's not having to clean up old Gimple plot points, the writing is shining through. I'm VERY interested to see how they handle the remainder of this season, particularly after the midseason break. The back half of this season will absolutely dictate how much life the franchise has in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived