• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trading KB, the silver lining

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

You guys who think getting rid of Shula is going to change things are kidding yourselves.  The only way we are going to see change is when Hurney and Rivera are both out the door.  And we now know that Hurney has been given the keys to the executive wash room until June at the minimum.  Which means his guy Rivera will in all likelihood be here for at least another year as well.  So please stop looking for silver linings in the cesspool we find ourselves in.

2 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Folks have been complaining about KB pretty much since he got here. Yet Hurndog trades him, and all hell breaks loose. Ya gotta love the Huddle.

I always felt KB could be a lot better if he'd give consistent effort but I always liked the guy. I was just waiting for an extension to buy that jersey.

Glad I waited.

2 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

You guys who think getting rid of Shula is going to change things are kidding yourselves.  The only way we are going to see change is when Hurney and Rivera are both out the door.  And we now know that Hurney has been given the keys to the executive wash room until June at the minimum.  Which means his guy Rivera will in all likelihood be here for at least another year as well.  So please stop looking for silver linings in the cesspool we find ourselves in.

The offense was a lot more wide open under Chud.

But, ultimately I agree. Ron has hitched his wagon to Shula and he's gonna ride it to wherever it takes him.

14 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

The silver lining I found is this:  the KB trade is a win win for panther fans and here is how:

Scenario A:  if our offense continues to be awful, it will force Marty’s hand to fire Shula at the end of the year. Not wanting to be the fall guy for the failed trade, Marty cans Shula to save face. 

Scenario B:  If in fact this move does work and our offense starts playing lights out, we are going to the playoffs and will win when in it due to great defense. 

So in other words, we get the option of seeing Shula shown the door or the playoffs this year and all we had to do was sacrifice a receiver who wouldn’t have been part of the long term plans anyway. 

We (panther fans) are the real winners of this trade. 

I think that this trade shows that the front office has no confidence in the coaching staff and I am not sure a playoff appearance will save Shula or Ron.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I always felt KB could be a lot better if he'd give consistent effort but I always liked the guy. I was just waiting for an extension to buy that jersey.

Glad I waited.

Folks have been complaining that KB doesn't play like a true #1. That he seems lazy, has lapses in concentration, and seems unmotivated to stay in shape.

Yet when he gets traded? Folks are off their rockers trying paint him as some sort of sacrificial lamb. 

Like you, I have been waiting for more from him. It just never seem to come. I guess the powers that be saw the same thing, because as soon as they got a chance, they dumped him.

31 minutes ago, TheRed said:

You don't trade away a starter to force the hand of an already in over his head offensive coordinator. Especially when your receiver depth is as iffy as ours currently is, and has been off and on throughout the last several years. When you realize on top of all this that we have been able to establish zero ground game with our recent 8th overall pick, this is a prime recipe for a shitshow against Atlanta.

That's why I think there is more to this than just his knee, snaps, money, or draft picks. And we might never know, unless KB talks.

12 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Folks have been complaining that KB doesn't play like a true #1. That he seems lazy, has lapses in concentration, and seems unmotivated to stay in shape.

Yet when he gets traded? Folks are off their rockers trying paint him as some sort of sacrificial lamb. 

Like you, I have been waiting for more from him. It just never seem to come. I guess the powers that be saw the same thing, because as soon as they got a chance, they dumped him.

Folks on this forum have a ridiculous expectation of what this mythical "#1 NFL WR" actually is. Maybe that's because we had Smitty and play in the same division as Julio Jones. I don't know. But, KB is definitely on of the top 32 NFL WRs so you can definitely make a legit argument that he is a "#1 WR" whatever that actually means. On this forum, that seems to mean arguably the best WR in the NFL. That's just not realistic. 

3 minutes ago, rayzor said:

if it takes the GM forcing the coaching staff's hand to put the right personnel on the field, we've got a problem...but i think most of us already knew that.

@Montsta being an A’s fan you’ve obviously watched Money Ball. Doesn’t Beane start trading away guys because the manager refuses to switch up the lineup or play Beane’s guys? Or am I remembering it wrong? 

Now I don’t think that’s happening here with KB (maybe it is) but I feel Hurney and Ron are most likely on the same page (even scarier). If anything Ron is too scared to cut KB’s snaps even down more so they shipped him off instead. 

Just now, Jangler said:

it really could be about lack of effort and Hurney saw a way out and got something for him.

Maybe so. 

I still think it's crazy to part ways with your best WR simply because you think they could be better. Some people are more talented than others. It's not fair. That's just life. You can't keep practice heroes and get rid of game day performers because they aren't checking the boxes that you think are important. It's a production business. KB was our best producing WR. 

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

@Montsta being an A’s fan you’ve obviously watched Money Ball. Doesn’t Beane start trading away guys because the manager refuses to switch up the lineup or play Beane’s guys? Or am I remembering it wrong? 

Now I don’t think that’s happening here with KB (maybe it is) but I feel Hurney and Ron are most likely on the same page (even scarier). If anything Ron is too scared to cut KB’s snaps even down more so they shipped him off instead. 

no explanation they or anyone has given helps with my confidence level in the coaches. all it does is help justify my doubts in their ability to manage the team.

Archived