• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Last Jedi *Spoilers*

Darth Biscuit

5 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

Meh, the lazy version would be to have Rey's parents be Luke or Han or something. That was the easy route to take.

Johnson's version flipped people's expectations on their head.

I wouldn’t say flipped...more like massively disappointed. I don’t want Rey’s parents to be Han or whatever, how cool would it be if she was a Palpatine? Something more than a kid of some meth head. I don’t think the story of her parents are done yet either. I feel like Kylo was messing with her. Also, Snoke was the biggest disappointment I have ever had watching a movie. Not his demise, that was awesome, but how nothin was explained. We finally had an all new original villain, with no ties to any of the old characters...then they ruined it. Again, maybe he will be back somehow (maybe it was a double or something) but I doubt it. Just poo poo all around. 

4 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

I wouldn’t say flipped...more like massively disappointed. I don’t want Rey’s parents to be Han or whatever, how cool would it be if she was a Palpatine? Something more than a kid of some meth head. I don’t think the story of her parents are done yet either. I feel like Kylo was messing with her. Also, Snoke was the biggest disappointment I have ever had watching a movie. Not his demise, that was awesome, but how nothin was explained. We finally had an all new original villain, with no ties to any of the old characters...then they ruined it. Again, maybe he will be back somehow (maybe it was a double or something) but I doubt it. Just poo poo all around. 

Well, JJ Abrams is back for episode 9 and he's already got his story lined up for how it connects to The Last Jedi and TFA, so we have that to look forward to in 2019.

16 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

Well, JJ Abrams is back for episode 9 and he's already got his story lined up for how it connects to The Last Jedi and TFA, so we have that to look forward to in 2019.

Right. Maybe all these unanswered questions will be summed up next time. I have a bad feeling they are done with Snoke though. Which is a big let down.

1 hour ago, Cary Kollins said:

Meh, the lazy version would be to have Rey's parents be Luke or Han or something. That was the easy route to take.

Johnson's version flipped people's expectations on their head.

It would make more sense that having some random junkers daughter who was abandoned for drinking money be the one who is the main character out of no where

Despite the fact that I still think there may be something more to Rey's lineage that we'll find out about in 9, the "heroes can come from nobodies" thing fits in very well with Disney...  they're trying to sell this stuff to the next generation... they know they have us old Star Wars fans locked in as long as they don't go too far off the rails...

That’s all well and good and I have no problem with the character not being a skywalker. I have a problem when they hype up her mysterious parentage to only walk back from it in the next movie. 

Just say say at the beginning when they were doing Rey’s introduction her parentage and no one would have cared. People got invested in Rey because she might have been a solo or a skywalker and then when you actually say “nope, you were a baby sold for crack money AND you are the central protagonist” you can see why people are not ok with that .

just imo. I think it was cheap writing

I don't think they hyped up her parentage.  That was mostly the online community that did that.  All the first movie really said was that her parents dropped her off on Jakku and she was waiting for them to come back.  Fwiw, if you go back, the entire Skywalker line literally came from no one, so this is in keeping with the story.  

I agree with this fellow.

http://collider.com/reys-parents-is-kylo-ren-telling-the-truth-the-last-jedi/#images

Fans have reached the point where they see franchises not as stories but as games. They just spent the last two years playing a guessing game and Johnson went down the road no one expected by saying Rey’s parents were nobodies. While it’s entirely possible that J.J. Abrams could ret-con this in Episode 9 and say that Kylo was lying, Rey’s memories were false, and that she’s actually the descendant of a popular character, Johnson has the richer story because of what it means for Rey and her future.

the ol lady and I went and saw this last night.

it was okay.  Little disappointed they didn't give us something on Rey's parents.  I didn't like the manner in which they were doing Luke at first....but it got better.   

Mostly, the thing that bothered me the most......how they resolved the Snoke.  That was lame as fug.

I still liked it. Liked TFA better though

3 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I don't think they hyped up her parentage.  That was mostly the online community that did that.  All the first movie really said was that her parents dropped her off on Jakku and she was waiting for them to come back.  Fwiw, if you go back, the entire Skywalker line literally came from no one, so this is in keeping with the story.  

I agree with this fellow.

http://collider.com/reys-parents-is-kylo-ren-telling-the-truth-the-last-jedi/#images

By shrouding it in mystery and leaving it as a hanging plot thread they where hyping it up. Especially when they throw it the whole vision scene with Rey and anakins lightsaber. 

It shows connection to the family. As that lightsaber has been passed down three generations only for it to end up with someone completely unrelated. 

I dont think hunk it’s a richer story. I think it’s lazy writing 

holy cow i liked it a lot more, and it made a lot more sense today. There are a lot of little points you need to pick up in a second or so of screen time - not major stuff but if you are a fan they make you want an explanation. Laura Derns character made a lot more sense, Poes actions and consequences were not as dire either way that I might have thought they were. Finn and Roses expedition made a lot more sense the second time around (Del Toros deal was still a little out there). And the Rey/Luke/Kylo stuff held up great. Sets up a great Billy Dee Williams cameo in the last movie.

Archived