• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Look at my babies on Facebook

stirs

38 minutes ago, stirs said:

Aren't they sweet

Not so much

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/16/virginia-woman-killed-in-grisly-mauling-by-her-dogs-cops-says.html

Very few redeeming qualities for these dogs, at least for me. Ticking time bombs

pit bulls are awesome dogs. if they are conditioned to be killers, they will be killers, just like everything else. if they are loved and well socialized, they are some of the best dogs out there. they just happen to be smart and powerful, so in the hands of a heartless asshole, they become weapons. 

I'm tired of this myth and automatic go to response everyone pulls when a pitbull attacks. "If you breed/raised them right  they will never attack unprovoked."   

All dogs can snap and attack.  The difference is no matter how you raise a pitbull it has the ability to seriously F you up beyond a capacity that other dogs have.

I've been witness to a first hand attack by a well raised rottweiler on my neighbor.  I had to kick and punch the MFer off of him and we grew up with this dog.  I was about 16 at the time and we never taunted this dog.  Honestly it horrified me.   The most aggressive thing we ever did with the dog is play tug of war with a rope toy which we were not doing at the time of the attack nor had been recently.  I hate to think of what could have happened had I not been there.

5 hours ago, PanthersBigD said:

Pit bulls don't weigh 100 lbs. They max out at around 65 lbs. They're all muscle and they're dense and compact. These were either mutts or a larger breed. 

This.

I have a 60 lb pit mix... its only that big because its mixed with a lab.

People fug up their temperament when they mix them with other breeds just for size.

German sherphard's have been bred to be smart, task oriented. Hounds hunt and have been bred for superior smell and tracking. Greyhounds have been bred over years to be very fast and agile. Pit bill and mixes were bred for aggression, durability and resistance.

To ignore biological make ups and genetics is ignorance. The breed, like the others, needs a specific owner who understands these traits and takes precautions and the responsibilities that are required to own them properly. Saying 'any dog can snap, it's not the breed, are NOT the right kind of people to own these dogs because that is incorrect.

Any dog breed needs an owner willing to understand the breed specific traits it and take on the responsibilities they bring. Once this is established put bulls, like any breed, can be happy and can be wonderful dogs. But there is always genetics...always a chance the dog will snap and that chance is greater than other breeds because that is their trait they were bred for.

It isn't that hard to understand yet people on both sides of the fence misunderstand owning  a specific breed altogether and just get a dog for it's infamy or looks.

Archived