• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PTI Question of the day.

Jangler

Is the wildcat a gimmick or a legitimate weapon?

I think when it comes to the Dolphins it is a legitimate weapon. But for all the other teams it is gimmick, especially for the Panthers...

Indeed; I said the exact same thing in another thread. It only works for the Dolphins and it would not work if they were not so deep in depth at RB (obviously). Thus, it's really only tailored to work with them and I think it's quite pointless for any other team to use it.

Is the wildcat a gimmick or a legitimate weapon?

I think when it comes to the Dolphins it is a legitimate weapon. But for all the other teams it is gimmick, especially for the Panthers...

I am not sure of what their take on this was but apparently they interviewed Steve Spurrier, Barrack Obama, Hulk Hogan and some guy at the bar and asked them about the Panthers,and they all said the problem was simple.Teams are stacking up against the run cause they don't think Jake can beat them,plus our defense is a shell of it's self from last year. Seems to be the subject of the day. Surprised no one has posted a thread about it yet...

I believe that unless a team is committed to running it regularly, like Miami, it's a gimmick.

It worked when we first did it in Atlanta, and last year for every team that tried, simply because it was new. This year, not many teams are showing much outstanding success with it. Of course, a four yard gain is nothing to sneeze at, but we aren't seeing 20-yard breakaways like we did when it was new.

It was a new wrinkle to the game, but one that was adjusted to by most defenses pretty well. In short, it's just not so complex that it throws an defense into chaos.

The Panthers do not run the wild cat like the Dolphins. The Dolphins use a lot of motion and deception. They give the RB options (to hand off or to run). This makes the defense have to respect the option. The Panthers just line up and tell DWill to run it up the middle. Obviously one of these approaches will actually work.

8 in the box covers it. RB's throwing passes are easily covered in one on one. if not, then the DB's should be benched. it's 95% run anyway so any defense should know exactly what is coming.

it's not the gimmick of the play, it's the runblocking by jake long and the miami line and the great running by brown and williams that made it popular. when other teams with less talent try it, it fails.

i don't get why we can't have similar success. we have an elusive back that is familiar with the wildcait like dwill (ronnie brown) and a fast big back that can handle it, block or go in motion (ricky williams) and a speedy wr that can run the jet, and motion as a decoy (smitty) with a mobile big offensive line. we lack a pat white, but i think this team is closer to being able to run it with success than one that is new to it or not capable.

Archived