• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why you should be excited about Turner

Snake

While we have heard why Turner want work I wanted to explain why he is absolutely perfect for the Panthers,our personal, and Ron Rivera. 

Rivera stated when he came to carolina he wanted a offense that was aggressive and a defensive that caused turnovers and stopped the run. His first hires were Chud on offense and McDermott on defense. CHUD produced exactly the offense Rivera wanted and it lead to Cam Newton putting up some of his best numbers. Then CHUD went to the Browns and Shula was hired. Now enter the era of Turner. The guy that gave the playbook to CHUD and here is what we can expect. 

1. Cam Newton- Don't expect to see the read option and Cam being used as a battering ram anymore except for scrambling. He will be shaped like Troy Aikman, Drew Brees, and Phillip Rivers. Cam has all the skills to dissect a defensive and team Turner will fill the gaps that's missing. I expect Cam to have one of his better years passing. 

2. Christian McCaffrey - We now have a OC that has coached the like of Emmitt Smith, Frank Gore,  LaDainian Tomlinson, Darron Sproles, and our own Tolbert. He knows how and where to use backs and how to fix whats going wrong. He has a weapon in McCaffrey he hasn't had since Tomlinson. Get excited!

3. Jonathan Stewart- much can be said the same about Stewart as McCaffrey. He has his battering Ram in Stewart to close out games after a lead has been ran up. Think what Smith did in Dallas. 

4. Greg Olsen - while we might go after a Free Agent in Gates Olsen has to be excited. This is the guy that made Gates and has used TEs to torment DCs since the 90s. You excited yet? 

5. Devin Funchess - Ask Michael Irvine if Turner knows how to use a big body. Like I said you get a coach and a OC. Not something you had in CHUD or Shula. Turner knows how to coach and for our young WRs it's going to be huge!

I think you can also believe we will play FA for Josh Gordon or Mike Wallace. We need size and speed and both guys bring that. I really think we will also try to get Gates as he will probably want to work with Turner again and will add more weapons. 

Barring Wilks leaving and knowing how he plays defense we can expect good things next year. Turner knows how to get a lead and keep one. His offenses sans Vikings were always top 5 scoring and Points. Our defense really just needs 30 points to win every game and I think Turner can get that every Sunday with ease. So stop complaining and get excited because that rat faced Shaun Payton is about to face a juggernaut next year. Dan Quinn and Matt Ryan will be crying after we drop 40 on them twice and Crabs McGee in Tampa will wish he could hold Cam's head towel. It's going to be fun lady and gentlemen. Real fun!!!! 

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The issue with Stewart at this point is that he is comparable to Emmitt Smith. Not the Emmitt who played for the Cowboys, the Emmitt who played for the Cardinals.

I disagree. The Shula effect can make anyone look done. Even Cam. 

D Newton had some nice quotes from a past Turner interview that gave me a clue:

"My big priority is decision-making," Turner said at the time on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "Quarterbacks have to make great decisions over and over and over again. They have to understand the offense, process a whole lot of information and handle the changes and adjustments on a week-to-week basis.

"As I told the guys, I think arm strength is way, way, way overrated. Accuracy and understanding how, when and where to throw the ball, those are big priorities."

"He's a genius when it comes to being an offensive coordinator and getting the ball into the hands of the playmakers," said Brian Mitchell, a running back/return ace when Turner was head coach of the Washington Redskins from 1994-2000.

Mitchell also is excited to see what Turner can do for running back/receiver Christian McCaffrey, who caught 80 passes and rushed for 435 yards after being selected with the eighth pick of the 2017 draft. McCaffrey is a lot like the multifaceted Darren Sproles, who played under Turner in San Diego.

"One thing about his offense, he believes in having matchup advantages where he's going to put guys in position where they have a strength," Mitchell said of Turner. "Christian better get ready because he's going to use him a lot."

http://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/28987/norv-turner-might-be-just-what-panthers-quarterback-cam-newton-needs-to-grow

First of all Chud did not run the offense Ron wanted as it was boom or bust causing too many 3 and outs and didn't control the clock. The second year Chud went read option everything and we regressed. It may have looked like Turner's offense the first year but by the second it was not close to Turner's offense at all. 

As for player fit, as long as Cam struggles with footwork, fundamentals and accuracy, he won't look and act like a traditional quarterback. Truth is if we only looked at his passing he likely wouldn't be the starter. What makes him dangerous is his dual threat capacity. Without that he is average at best. 

Of the backs the OP mentioned CMC fits like Sproles did. The rest like Gore and Smith are terrible comparisons. 

The best thing Norv can do is listen to Ron his brother and Cameron who are already here and to keep the basic elements in place. Tweaks not wholesale scheme changes are needed  or this season will be worse than any under Rivera yet. This is an 11-5 team that could have been 13-3 with consistency from the offense and less predictability on defense the second half of the year. Making big changes will be more harmful than helpful. 

8 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Ya... I’m not sure...

He had his worst year of his career under Norv, I’m not sure he’d want to go down that road again especially since he’ll have other options. 

But who knows 

More like he had his worst year of his career with Teddy, who can't throw the ball further than 5 yards...

Archived